Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk 4 Powershift Burning Smell

Stephen Browning

Hi there, I don't think I've seen this issue as such on the forum.

May 2013 Zetec Business 163PS estate

Occasionally I get a burning smell when I stop the car. Not particular to any type of journey (urban or fast) but a pungent (organic) odour. I have once had it happen on the motorway, hit the brakes hard and it went after a bit.

The garage have checked the brakes (original pads, 30% worn, 25k on the clock) and can see no sign of burning; also the discs are OK.

The next suspect might be the gearbox clutches??.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Also could someone please advise on the best way to 'test' the gearbox for problems???

Ta and Regards

Steve

If your car is diesel, this odour may be caused by DPF regeneration

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that - sorry for the delay in replying but I keep missing emails in the pile.....

I see your point, it is possible that I've 'smelt' the problem when the ECU has been part way through the DPF regen process.  Interesting that the agent didn't think of that; when I happened to go in there with the smell they booked it in to check the brakes.  No sign of overheating or abnormal wear on the pads and the discs looked fine!!

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Regards

Steve

My Mk4.5 Also on switch off after or during a DPF regen there will be this really strong Metallic burning smell (best way to describe it) it proper stinks, it also "smells" hot if that make sense

Also the exhausts will be "pinging" away until it cools down again

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club