Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cutting Out After Start

Italiot

My car is a 54 plate with 178000 miles on recently serviced all filters and oil,new inter cooler hose,new tyres brakes and discs I got the car running as it should a couple of weeks after the intercooler hose replacement started a long journey just filled up after about 7-8 mile of heavy traffic started to accelerate on to the motorway when the car when in to limp mode but when I turned engine off and back on it would reset the accelerating between 2000-3000 rpm it would happen again I had to drive home using my gears trying not to put it under load so it wouldn't cut out no codes showing car sat for one week till I had the time to look at it got given some advise from a friend that we needed to take some of the fuel out of the car to be sure it wasn't related to the full tank the only way we were able to get the fuel out was from the fuel filter after the car started ok but we started to here a buzzing sound from around the engine car stop had to get jump leads out to get the engine to attemp start opened nuts slightly on injectors went to turn over fuel came out of each one as we though there may be air in the line closed all nuts back can get car to start then it revs up while starting after between 3-5 second the engine cuts out glow plug icon flashes up been on this for about a week now I finally managed to retrieve a code today from my obd reader code was

P0251 generic

Injector pump fuel metering control A

(Cam / rotor / injector)

I have replaced the camshaft sensor today on advise but still failing to get the engine to keep running has anyone come across this issue before of have any advise to resolve this problem as can't afford to take car to the garage so have to do all the work myself any help on advise would be much appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Check that the intercooler - turbo hose clamps are properly tight & check by running the engine with your ears as close as possible - listening for any hissing

We have checked that it was the first thing I did

Possible injector fault then i'd guess & the correct fuel pressure is not being held in the commonrail as a result

I'd advise a injector leak off test

Doesn't the engine have to keep running to carry out that test or have I got that wrong

Yes it does - there's a how to on FordWiki

My engine cuts within 3-5 seconds of starting

Probably because you have insufficient fuel pressure

check the fuel filter as a starting point, also worth doing an OBD diagnostic, see if there are any errors. It could be the crankshaft position sensor.

May sound stupid but what would be the best way to make it correct pressure

Fuel filter already replaced in order to get it starting again but no worked camshaft sensor replaced battery replaced my drags is only giving the error code I have a new connector on the way so I can use a serial connection obd software which can apparently do everything

May sound stupid but what would be the best way to make it correct pressure

A leak off test - as i previously stated - is the first thing to do

• Like 1

Can that be done via battery to build the pressure then

No . . . as i also previously stated the engine needs to be running

That can't be done this is the problem as engine cuts within 5 seconds or would be just keep starting up

That can't be done this is the problem

It can be - but if you can't do it yourself it's a garage job

I have no problem with doing it but my engine starts revs up and then cuts out within 5 seconds and its need to be but as showing on ford wiki its say about a few minutes running

Even if you keep cranking it for a few goes, you will at least see if there is a balance issue, all fuel output should be equal.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

That's the way I'm going to try it just waiting for the kit to arrive

What would you use to close off the leak pipes you remove I was thinking gaffer tape unless I get a better idea

• 4 months later...

I've finally got some error codes from the car yesterday as we had good weather have looked them up but unsure of corse of action due to circumstances they were obtain data

To get the car to start I need to unplug my maf sensor will start trying to stay running for about 10 seconds then cuts out

The following codes then apeared

P1000 undefined code

P0201 injector circuit / open cylinder 1

P0202 injector circuit / open cylinder 2

P0203 injector circuit / open cylinder 3

P0204 injector circuit / open cylinder 4

Have seen a number of posts online say replaced injectors but my issue I need to answer before that is way car won't crank when maf sensor connected if anyone can help with this it would be most appreciated Thanks

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

Have you cranked engine over at any time without the injectors connected? Unheard of having all 4 injectors open circiut at the same time.

Sounds like a short circuit somewhere killing all four injectors like that

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club