Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Cost Effective Performance Boost 1.6 Ecoboost

ZetecShearer1987

Hi all

Just wanted to know if there are any decent tricks i could do to my car to give it an extra bit of uuuuuummppphhhhh.

ive got the 1.6 ecoboost 180 and the performance is fine, but i just want that little bit more.

Whats the cheaper options to go down for easy upgrade like air filter etc.

Any ideas

a remap is the best way, air filers wont give you any extra bhp

an air filter will do jack sh** but a performance / cat back exhaust system usually frees up a few extra horses :-)

after that your looking at uprated turbos , bigger intercoolers , fast road cams and a very fat cheque book lol

• Like 3

The K&N 57s-4000 kit gave an extra 18bhp on the Youtube dyno run. I bought the filter (e-9289) for my Zetec S out of the kit for around £50 rather than around £120 for the filter and new lid. I doubt it gave 18bhp but it did give a noticeable difference and sounds great with the removable end cap taken off.

https://youtu.be/vpzQbFGP4MI

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CR9WY38/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1450468307&sr=8-1π=SX200_QL40&keywords=e-9289&dpPl=1&dpID=41gAMlSq2wL&ref=plSrch

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ARCO30Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1450468399&sr=8-1π=SX200_QL40&keywords=57s-4000&dpPl=1&dpID=41FqeaXZl4L&ref=plSrch

The OP is looking for cheap options. I want a remap for mine when funds allow but the filter was a nice cheap starting point and it has definitely made a difference on my car. No point getting a remap first and then adding an exhaust, intercooler and filter later as you wouldnt get the best out of the map.

• Like 1

What remaps then, ive seen mountune which ford dealers do, but their pricing is over 1k for the upgrade.

Also seen bluefin for 399 and its plug and play

Any other options as that would be a good increase

Original airfilter used from 1.0 ecoboost to the st ecoboost 250ps , kn good for sounding like your quicker.

• Like 2

Original airfilter used from 1.0 ecoboost to the st ecoboost 250ps , kn good for sounding like your quicker.

I guess im imagining it then. :huh:

Just curious out of who has commented actually owns and drives a 1.6 ecoboost daily? I know I do!;)

The mountune gives you an inter cooler and the map is different which focus's more on torque than bhp and also keeps the original ford warranty. That's why it's more expensive, there are owners that have the bluefin so I suppose they will come forward and comment in time. You could do a turbo back system with sports cat, after doing my oil change myself I noticed that where the cat links the turbo they have open bolt slots so they won't rust and sieze like older cars so should be easy job but won't be cheap.

• Like 1

Mountune kit - http://www.mountune.com/index.php/services/performance-upgrades/focus/focus-1-6-ecoboost

A few months back there were no exhausts available, i thought Mountune or Miltek wouldve done a system but Miltek said no plans to. Might need to be custom made jobbie but then it wouldnt be a dyno proven design like the big brands.

Nope no plans for exhausts on the 1.6 focus, I spoke with piper at ford fair in 2012 before I got my focus to arrange them using it to develope but nothing came from it, all you can do is get a custome built systems which would prob set you back £400 just cat back. On mountune the focus st sports cat is about £450

I have been looking lots online for my 1.5 ecoboost but also the 1.6 as maybe they can cross over. Performance mods are very rare cant find any exhaust, or intercoolers. Only intercooler is mountune for the 1.6 but wont work on the 1.5 according to them. Bluefin seems the only plug and play remap along with a few airfilter choices.

But the 1.5t and 1.6t seem rare in the really world so i guess no really demand for tuning.

Althought the 1.6 is in the fiesta ST so maybe get some parts from that?

As Ian has said the 1.6 uses the same filter as the 250 PS ST so it won't be the restriction.

If you want to help the intake it might be worth thinking about an ST airbox instead which has an extra snorkel pipe going to the underside of the filter.

It's the same thing mountune fit for the MP 200 kit.

You'll still need a map to notice much benefit though as the ECU works on torque targets so will just adjust itself accordingly.

Got an air filter and a custom cat back on mine now.... And to be honest I can't notice much difference. But hopefully a remap will bring them into play a little more ... Brakes need doing first so won't be for a month or so until I can find out 🤔

• 1 year later...

I know this topic is a little old but just fir peoples info i have st airbox and scoop on my 1.6 180 with the k&n. I decided to do a test with paper air filter against k&n. Using the torque app and obd dongle and with the k&n in the 0-60 time over consective runs came out on average over a second quicker than its paper cousin. Irrespective of bhp the car was quicker.

22 minutes ago, vindi93 said:

I know this topic is a little old but just fir peoples info i have st airbox and scoop on my 1.6 180 with the k&n. I decided to do a test with paper air filter against k&n. Using the torque app and obd dongle and with the k&n in the 0-60 time over consective runs came out on average over a second quicker than its paper cousin. Irrespective of bhp the car was quicker.

You must have been accelerating harder or getting better at it then, because a kn filter would not give you a sec. The difference if any is immeasurable.

The paper filter is good for at least 350PS.

• Like 4

• 4 years later...
On 12/19/2015 at 8:58 AM, streetsleeper said:

I have been looking lots online for my 1.5 ecoboost but also the 1.6 as maybe they can cross over. Performance mods are very rare cant find any exhaust, or intercoolers. Only intercooler is mountune for the 1.6 but wont work on the 1.5 according to them. Bluefin seems the only plug and play remap along with a few airfilter choices.

But the 1.5t and 1.6t seem rare in the really world so i guess no really demand for tuning.

Althought the 1.6 is in the fiesta ST so maybe get some parts from that?

I have the 2012 1.6t econetic with a stage 1 remap took it to 209bhp with 236lb ft torque and mpg stayed roughly same as before. Combined before was 38mpg and that's changing gear at 2k rev's 1st to 4th. With remap I'm getting 42mpg changing at 1.5k rev's.. So it makes a difference and power wise if I put my foot down and have fun with some1 I hit 100 rather fast. The power difference is big 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club