Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silicone Ok For Bonnet Vents?

Juicehead99

As above really,

Don't want to use tiger seal as it's a !Removed! to get off if I ever want to remove them for body paint changes or anything

I read not to use it on bodywork as it can contaminate the paint so any future paintwork will react and have a fish eye effect. I read that after i used it to seal my quarter vents behind the back bumper.

• Like 1

Also if it only reacts where sealent is then it won't matter cos vents will go back on after paint is changed so won't be seen.

But will silicone be strong enough to hold them?

I have silicone on one of my vents and tiger seal on the other and let me tell you! Silicone is strong as s**t! I had problems with tiger seal not setting properly, then my uncle told me to use silicone and its ace! You can pull the vents and the whole bonnet lifts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have silicone on one of my vents and tiger seal on the other and let me tell you! Silicone is strong as s**t! I had problems with tiger seal not setting properly, then my uncle told me to use silicone and its ace! You can pull the vents and the whole bonnet lifts!

Sweet! Silicone it is!
  • Like 1

Just make sure it's properly taped down with some form of weight on top to apply the correct amount of pressure mate

Good shout! Never thought of that
  • Like 1

I've seen it done 2 ways, once your happy with the position and you are happy with your markings drill holes in each corner the you can either use an angle grinder if your confident of not running over the bonnet with the blade of it catches! Or you can use a jigsaw, I have seen people use jigsaws with very fine metal blades, I used an angle grinder :)

If your marking on the underside of the bonnet, drill the holes in each corner and the put the bonnet down and use your template to remark them on top of the bonnet :) and make sure you put a cover over all the engine bay, and put a block off wood at each side of the car to sit the bonnet off abit :)

Well I've used angle grinder alot so my plan was to not drill and just grind the general shape that I mark out and vent would hide the bad bits lol

Also was planning on doing it while bonnet is on car with damp cover over engine bay,

Bad idea?

Yeah buddy and I did mine with the bonnet on pal, aslong as the engine bay is covered you should be fine, like I say though put wooden blocks under the bonnet so it sits up off the car a little bit.

The tape is on top to help not chip the lacquer and mark the bonnet whilst cutting, you had a slight room for error as the vents will cover a little bit of the bonnet :)

And don't forget to prime the bare metal after the cuts are done to help stop rusting [emoji106]

• Like 1

Not loads mate! Make sure you have a good template, if it's a paper one, the transfer it onto cardboard [emoji106] more stable and easier to work with [emoji106]

Not loads mate! Make sure you have a good template, if it's a paper one, the transfer it onto cardboard [emoji106] more stable and easier to work with [emoji106]

Well I did it on new years day, cut my bonnet, went to seal vents with my silicone, got halfway through putting silicone bead round first vent and ran out!

So only place was open and silicone was nearly £20 so tiger seal was £9

So I ended up using black tiger seal as silicone is cheap and I couldn't pay it lol also need tiger seal for skirt to

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club