Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Wiper Problem

Paladine

So I turned my front wipers on last night and they stopped in the upright position. Now neither the front or rear wipers will work and when I turn the key in the ignition the headlight jets spray (every time) - anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks

I don't suppose anyone knows which fuse I need to change? I had a look at the fuse box under the bonnet but I didn't see anything on the chart for the wipers - so I am presuming it is the internal fuse box behind the glove box, but I can't seem to find any info with Google.

OK I think I got it - Fuse 20 & 55 for Rear/Front wipers and both in the glove box fuse panel.

OK so after 20 minutes trying to figure out wtf I couldn't find an internal fuse box behind the glove box on the passenger side - I noticed a removable panel under the dashboard on the drivers side and bam there was the internal fusebox! Now replaced the fuse and everything is working again. Every single web resource I looked at said the fuse box was behind the glove box on the passenger side...

Behind the glove box on my Mk1 and it's R64.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I always thought about this - the wiper fuse blowing, and I started thinking what would happen if the fuse happened to blow right in the middle of a storm? Especially on a dual carriageway or motorway. What would be the best course of action?

F20 is engine management light.F56 is front screen wiper.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I always thought about this - the wiper fuse blowing, and I started thinking what would happen if the fuse happened to blow right in the middle of a storm? Especially on a dual carriageway or motorway. What would be the best course of action?

Pull over & stop in a safe place & wait until the rain abates, call the A.A. / R.A.C. etc if you are a member, or try replacing the fuse yourself if you are competent.

It is clearly unsafe to attempt to drive with severely reduced vision caused by any means.

• Like 2

Got to agree with Mark on that. Its one of the reasons I keep a small selection of fuses in my glovebox along with the fuse box diagram better safe than sorry I guess.

• Like 3

keep some cable ties in the car too and a role of gaffa tape not much you cant fix with ties an tape, mythbusters even made a boat out of tape which might help in the recent weather ;)

I had some wipers brake on me once in a storm, some ties an tape then selectively manual wipe when I needed and it was good to get me home.

• Like 3

There are some spares in the fusebox usually. If not, can always 'borrow' a fuse from the radio or something.

Funnily enough I was thinking about the same thing recently. I've got so used to auto-wipers I barely touch the stalk now. But they werent working for the last week. I came round a corner into what looked like a damp road but was a huge puddle where the road had sunk lol, caused a tidal wave across the screen and lost all visibility for probably 2 or 3 seconds while I found the stalk as I wasnt expecting it at all. Made me realise just how quickly you wouldn't see anything if the wipers stopped in torrential rain...

It was Fuse 55 for both front and rear wipers I believe (at least the diagram on the panel didn't show any other fuses for wipers) and the fuse box was under the dashboard (above the little shelf) on the drivers side. I should probably add I have a German Focus Mk1 which is perhaps why the fuse box is not behind the glove box (the car is left hand drive).

I should probably add I have a German Focus Mk1 which is perhaps why the fuse box is not behind the glove box (the car is left hand drive).

That'll explain it then! :lol:

There are some spares in the fusebox usually. If not, can always 'borrow' a fuse from the radio or something.

Funnily enough I was thinking about the same thing recently. I've got so used to auto-wipers I barely touch the stalk now. But they werent working for the last week. I came round a corner into what looked like a damp road but was a huge puddle where the road had sunk lol, caused a tidal wave across the screen and lost all visibility for probably 2 or 3 seconds while I found the stalk as I wasnt expecting it at all. Made me realise just how quickly you wouldn't see anything if the wipers stopped in torrential rain...

I bought a pack of 40 mixed fuses for about £2.00 and keep them in the car.

I remember ever time i pull the glove Box out to replace a fuse i would lose anything in the glove box on the floor

what a pain

Pull over & stop in a safe place & wait until the rain abates, call the A.A. / R.A.C. etc if you are a member, or try replacing the fuse yourself if you are competent.

It is clearly unsafe to attempt to drive with severely reduced vision caused by any means.

Totally get that and agree - but what if the rain is so heavy you can't even see 2 feet ahead? And say you are in lane 3? How do you get across without causing carnage and figure out when you've reached a safe place? I've driven in rain where I could barely see one car ahead even with the wipers on full! It's a wild thought, and I just hope that never happens to anyone!

• Like 1

Hazards on and use the side windows to see if you can pull over I guess, shouldnt be anyone directly in front if you're in the overtaking lane and I think you'd see brake lights through a wet screen still. Though there are some places you obviously can't - local 70mph dual carriageway bridge for one - I've always wondered how you 'stop' there if you get a blowout or some other major fault, theres no hard shoulder because it's not wide enough.

Thats how accidents happen though, a mixture of issues, could be someone with a car fault, pulling into the lane of someone in a van who isn't concentrating for whatever reason and slams on the anchors at the last minute and slows just enough, the small car following doesn't know theres an issue because they can't see through the van and don't have ABS brakes so lock up when they see the vans brake lights, they hit the van, he hits the faulty car...

• Like 1

Totally get that and agree - but what if the rain is so heavy you can't even see 2 feet ahead? And say you are in lane 3? How do you get across without causing carnage and figure out when you've reached a safe place? I've driven in rain where I could barely see one car ahead even with the wipers on full! It's a wild thought, and I just hope that never happens to anyone!

If visibilty is down to two feet - you're probably nigh on stopped anyway ! :)

• Like 2

As others have said, you should probably be crawling along if its that bad in the first place, but lets say you do have an issue and need to stop. whats your alternatives? attempt to get to the left hard shoulder, stop in the middle of the road, pull over and sit in the central reservation.

I guess the answer is whatever is possible and safe to do at the time which will in 99% of the cases be, indicate and slowing pull to the left, stop on the hard shoulder or verge, then put hazards on, do keep in mind tho that if you slap your hazard lights on straight away people wont have a clue what your doing so will go around you preventing you from doing anything other than stop.

you can get some of that ultra hydrophobic coatings to put on your window, its not perfect but it should give you enough visibility at slow speeds to safely move to the hard shoulder without any wipers

• Like 1

This scenario, one of many that could occur, is why it's sensible to be in lane 1 on motorways unless you're overtaking - as there's nearly always somewhere easy to escape to - the hard shoulder :)

This scenario, one of many that could occur, is why it's sensible to be in lane 1 on motorways unless you're overtaking - as there's nearly always somewhere easy to escape to - the hard shoulder :)

Too true. It's just too bad 90% of UK drivers seem to have a serious phobia of lane 1. Maybe they get visions of their nightmares flashing in front of them whenever they're in that lane?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club