Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacement Turbo, Louder-Quicker

Azzalee19

Hi all. May need a new turbo for my focus 1.8 tdci (53 plate). Where's best to get one ? Either brand new or reconditioned . Don't want to pay through the roof. Also any ways I can make the car a bit louder and quicker? Would a remap do much? Cheers

• Like 1

Admins this appears to be a dupe post

Its not a duplicate post James, this is the full one. Obviously the OP pressed send by accident on his first attempt hence the other same titled thread containing hardly any information as you pointed out in it. Its the other post that requires deleting not this one.

• Like 2

Wes180 cheers mate. That's what's happened. Only just seen and realised I had replies and there were two posts. Other one needs deleting.

• Like 1

oh god not again Iantt will be here soon and i will be embarrased again haha

this was my reply on the other post

Hi Aaron

For ?

A larger turbo is not always a good option

but we need more information to be able to advise you

Jamie

No probs mate, I cant help with the turbo issue though sorry! A remap is worthwhile once your turbos sorted. Depending how far you want to go then an uprated intercooler, de-cat pipe and air filter would also add power but if you were thinking you might go for those then get them before the remap so it can be mapped to suit the additional performance hardware.

• Like 1

Ok cheers. Was just thinking about one thing at a time. So probably best changing parts then remap

• Like 1

On the subject of "making your car louder", please try to remember that most people don`t like noise. In fact, in New Zealand, where they actually dare about people`s quality of life, they try to reduce road vehicle noise.....

Earplugs? They come in handy for bikers when the bikes got a race can on too!:rolleyes:
  • Like 1

Are you suggesting people should wear earplugs all the time so they`re less likely to hear loud (sometimes painfully loud) cars and bikes ? ! ?

There`s a loud car which regularly goes up our road very early in the morning. If that happens to coincide with a phase of light sleep the ignorant wazzock wakes you up.

I`ve got no time for those kind of people, they`re bleedin` selfish.

• Like 2

Ha ha, I am a car enthusiast so i like modified cars and the effort that has gone into them. Maybe that might wear a little thin if I were getting woken up on a regular basis by a 1.0 Corsa with a Big Bore 4 on it. My neighbours bike doesnt bother me when hes leaving for work but then he doesnt sit there revving it up either.

Obtaining a nice engine sound is pretty difficult on most turbocharged diesel engines. Generally the turbo is blocking a lot of the engine sound to the exhaust. Modifications of the exhaust system may even let the car sound like a tractor (which in my opinion is not nice at all).

Its a diesel, they sound like tractors anyway. :lol:

Decat is best for turbo noise on a diesel but now an mot fail. :( If you want noise get a decent petrol with a meaty free flowing exhaust. I had a 3" Magnex and sports cat on my GTi6. :D

I must admit, noise gets boring quickly though, it's great blasting up through the gears, but stuck in traffic or cruising at 70 needing ear defenders isn't fun. :lol: Fortunately diesels tend to have a quiet exhaust note until you put your foot down, though that means you're stuck with listening to the tractor engine note most of the time still!

• Like 2

Is the decat a recent MOT fail then? Had one on my Mondeo ST TDCi and it passed no problem. I know you cant remove the DPF.

Yeah, decat and de-DPF both became an MOT fail at the same time. :(

It wasn't a fail back in 2012 as I even emailed VOSA before decatting my Golf lol. As long as it passed smoke test was fine. But now they have to check for presence of a cat/dpf on anything that came with one.

That's not to say you won't be able to get it passed though, lots of people get decats and DPF removals passed...just have to know the tester...

• Like 3

Cheers for in out. Any recommendations as towards where to get a turbo from? For 1.8 53 focus? Think mines gone. Blowing white smoke out the back and has no power. Revs won't go past 2000

What's your budget? Are you looking for a brand new one, used one or refurbished one?

Those symptoms aren't necessarily turbo failure though.

Depending on price really. I'm a bit jubvious about buying a used one

Personally I'd go for a reconditioned one with a warranty. But having seen the prices of them for your engine on eBay maybe not, looking at around £2-300! It might be cheaper to have yours reconditioned if that's an option, but means having the car off the road while its done rather than a quick swap.

That said I have had a couple of good used ones as well, BUT they have come from cars that I'd driven and knew were good. Used will obviously be considerably cheaper but could be a risk.

I've seen one on eBay where you swap yours for a reconditioned one. And tbh I'm not using the car until it's sorted as don't want to do more damage . And it's not been to my mechanic yet but what I've read up the turbos gone

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone recommend where to get a replacement turbo. Either reconditioned or new. Cheers

there's lots of companies that do repairs to turbo's but it is a bit hit n miss. i know a company who have used a few different companies with varying results and so far they havent found one company that they can recommend...says it all really. its pot luck mate.

please use a brand name that you recognise or can do some research on for reviews.

edit - try these guys who offer 24 months warranty on exhange or 12 months on repairs

http://www.turbotechnics.com/?page_id=102

just out of interest, you definitely ruled out everything else?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club