Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing Head Unit?

lufc08

I recently decided to change the head unit in my MK6.5, it's never been done before so everything is stock.

I have bought a Pioneer AVH-3600DAB and a fitting kit, This one to be exact, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380973884154?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I managed to remove the old 6000cd but now I'm stuck. The new fascia adapter with the kit doesn't fit the space left by the old stereo, it's slightlty too thick so it sticks out a bit. Also I assume the new unit screws into the cage but i can't see where it would.

I'm probably missing something really simple but I just can't seem to find what it is.

Hopefully someone can help me out (make me feel a little stupid) and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

First of all, the headunit does not screw into the cage. that's just an option for some cars if needed.

It clips in place.

Fit the cage, bend the prongs to hold it in place. Slide in the radio and "click"

Which bit of the fascia is not fitting? Could you post some pictures please?

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I have another look at it.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

I've had another look, I put the fascia plate in first which still doesn't fit quite right, I can get one side in fine but not the other.

I put the cage into it then the radio, Which clips bend to secure the radio in place?

I also have some brackets but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to use them.

I've attached some pics to show what I mean.

post-67609-0-52495100-1451658559_thumb.j

post-67609-0-94110900-1451658559_thumb.j

post-67609-0-25905200-1451658561_thumb.j

post-67609-0-91634900-1451658561_thumb.j

post-67609-0-28210400-1451658562_thumb.j

• Like 1

Could you post some pictures of the cage?

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

If you slide the radio into the cage outside of the car does it click into place?

Also, see the triangular tabs? When you get the cage in place in the car, bend as many of them as far as possible to lock the cage in place :)

As silly as it sounds, have you tried rotating the fascia by 180*?

No it doesn't, in fact it slides right through it. That's why I thought it needed securing in place.

That's extremely unusual.. didn't the radio come with a cage in the box? My AVH2600BT came with a cage..

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

You're right it did, hadn't even considered that.

It clicks in place with that cage fine.

Now my only problem is the fascia not fitting into the car properly. Any ideas on that?

Thanks for this, big help.

• Like 1

Try rotating it through 180*

If not, some fine grade sandpaper to reduce the size slightly

Could you post some pictures of the area that the fascia clips into without the fascia in place?

I tried to rotate it but got the same problem.

Not sure whether the fascia has been cut wrong.

I think before sanding it down I may ask the seller to send a replacement fascia and try it that way, if the same thing happens then I guess sanding will be the way forward.

• Like 1

I think I may be onto something here, I think its the block on the bottom that's stopping it going in far enough.

It's the bit in the middle of the second picture, think it's ok to get rid of?

post-67609-0-30445200-1451661719_thumb.j

post-67609-0-90847200-1451661720_thumb.j

Yeah its just a guide for the factory radio but even if you refitted it, pad some foam at the bottom and it would be fine. Cut it out :)

Don't think I'll have a chance to do it today but I reckon that'll be it.

One last thing, what's the best way to go about getting a dab aerial setup?

I think I have one knocking around that I was given but it's a roof mounted one, is the cable easy to route?

I didn't know your radio supported DAB if I'm honest

Ah its one of the newer models thats why :)