Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Urgent - 2008 (Mk6) Ignition Problem - No Dashboard Lights

Scott595

Yesterday the car was fine, no problems whatsoever, today I tried turning the ignition on, cue no dashboard lights (warning symbols/trip computer), no noise from the starter motor, nothing. The immobiliser hasn't been set off and the radio/interior light work, however the headlights don't turn on.

Made a call to the RAC, guy came out and checked the battery (98% charged)....3 hours later he says it's an electrical problem but couldn't narrow it down.

He checked the following:

battery Status

Terminals

Fuses

Some connection near the door which he said comes off if it has a knock.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I'd really appreciate any help as I'm due to go back home in a few days (2 hours away), I don't mind trying things no matter how random they are!

Thanks!

Starter motor solenoid has possibly given up. Does it click when you try to turn the engine over?

Did he check the Relays?

Thanks for replying, I've solved it!

For anyone with the same issue there is a backup slot for a normal fuse to replace the main ignition one, try this (nick the cigarette lighter 15A one), or just replace the main ignition fuse if you have a spare one.

Also advice, never use RAC, I asked him directly and he said he had checked "ALL" the fuses, after I went out and bought some, tried it and now the car starts!

:D

He may have checked them visually, not for continuity

You should always check them for continuity or replace any that could be at fault

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Not sure if I was clear, the fix I have used is temporary, the ignition fuse has gone, he surely should've tested the fuse if that was the main problem, or is that not standard?

:D

Yes. You were clear.

I'm saying, he may have indeed checked all of the fuses.

BUT he only LOOKED at them and didn't TEST them

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Ahhh sound, ok cheers mate anyway, thought I was gonna have to fork out for a big bill!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club