Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Start

Enduser

OK, so does anyone know how far the key has to be from the car before you are unable to start the car ?.

For keyless start the car will not start unless the key is in the passenger compartment. The car shouldn't start if the key is in the boot or outside the car.

• Like 1

The key has to be inside the car.

The annoying part from a safety/security point of view is once the cars running they dont have to be in it. I always thought it would cut out if you tried to drive away without them in the car, it doesnt!

• Like 1

dont like the key less starts all ways worry that i left the keys in the car

The jingly lump in my pocket reminds me I havent. ;) I unlock the car the put them straight into my pocket. It feels strange putting a key into the ignition barrel now.

• Like 1

Keys are always in my picket. unless i stow them in the centre console

but you need the keys to lock the car

Surely locking the car is a habit by now ?

Jamie

only takes that one time

When I first got my Mk3 i left the engine running a couple of times!!!

The start/stop must have kicked in when I stopped, so that when I thought I had locked the car I hadn't. :-( came back to find unlocked car and engine running. Luckily engine is very, very quiet. Each time keys were in my pocket well away from the car.

Double check now, that's for sure. I'd rather the car stopped if I got out with the keys and needed the keys back inside to start again.

Ok well you shoudnt rely on stop start to turn off the engine when you pull up at home or work.

Always press the power button.

Make it a habit from now on. even if you have to go for the imaginary key barrel

thats what i did anyway

I must admit to accidently leaving the engine running when i got out to refuel once, the looks people gave lol * ITS KEYLESS I FORGOT LOL :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Jamie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I first got my Mk3 i left the engine running a couple of times!!!

The start/stop must have kicked in when I stopped, so that when I thought I had locked the car I hadn't. :-( came back to find unlocked car and engine running. Luckily engine is very, very quiet. Each time keys were in my pocket well away from the car.

Double check now, that's for sure. I'd rather the car stopped if I got out with the keys and needed the keys back inside to start again.

Yes, I can see how this may happen quite easily, it's also easy to forget to lock the car as you haven't got the keys in your hand when you get out, as you would with a keyed ignition. The folding mirrors are a good aid to see at a glance if the car is locked or not.

Having just bought a Focus with keyless start a couple of things have occurred to me. One is that without a steering lock it looks as if it would be easy for thieves to break in and tow it away. Second is I can't turn on the ignition and put it in reverse to check the reversing lights and I've actually got to start it up to do anything with the ignition auxiliary circuits.

I still keep reaching to take the key out when getting out of the car. :rolleyes:

Having just bought a Focus with keyless start a couple of things have occurred to me. One is that without a steering lock it looks as if it would be easy for thieves to break in and tow it away. Second is I can't turn on the ignition and put it in reverse to check the reversing lights and I've actually got to start it up to do anything with the ignition auxiliary circuits.

I still keep reaching to take the key out when getting out of the car. :rolleyes:

Haven't these got an electronic steering lock ?

Why can you not just press the start button without starting the car ?

Leave the clutch pedal alone & press the start button to bring up the aux / ign position ?

Edited by MONDEO TXS 2.2

I don't know the answer to those yet, Mark. I need to spend a bit more time playing with it. I haven't noticed the steering lock itself but that's because I haven't tried to turn the wheel with the engine off. As for pressing the start button, if the key is inside the car that will start the engine. I don't know what happens if I leave the key in the house but I'm guessing nothing.

The manual states to put the wipers in the service position operate the flick wipe within three seconds of turning the ignition off so I need to try if that will work by just stopping the engine. As for other auxiliaries like screen washers, brake lights and reversing lights I'm guessing they'll only work with the enine running.

I don't know the answer to those yet, Mark. I need to spend a bit more time playing with it. I haven't noticed the steering lock itself but that's because I haven't tried to turn the wheel with the engine off. As for pressing the start button, if the key is inside the car that will start the engine. I don't know what happens if I leave the key in the house but I'm guessing nothing.

The manual states to put the wipers in the service position operate the flick wipe within three seconds of turning the ignition off so I need to try if that will work by just stopping the engine. As for other auxiliaries like screen washers, brake lights and reversing lights I'm guessing they'll only work with the enine running.

Does your car need the clutch depressed to start ?

Yes it does.

So just forget pressing the clutch pedal & just press the start button & you'll have the ignition / aux without the engine starting, with the smart key in the vehicle obviously :)

The thing is, you can't lock the car by touching the door handle, if you've left your keys in the car.

I think Dez is confusing keyless start with keyless entry.