Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over Cooling Issue

GeorgeFocusmk3

I wish to all members have to happy new year.

I own a Ford focus mk3 1.0 ecoboost 125hp and recently i have notice something strange about it.

Yesterday i started the car and wait it to reach the normal temperature so i can turn the heater on.The outside temp was -2c .\When i started the heater on full the temp gauge went down and then after about 10 minutes the temp went back to normal....Is that normal? i have never driven the car in such conditions -2c.

Welcome to the site George!

Maybe it was because the heat was dissipated through the heater system registering a cooling effect on the engine temperature gauge?

Why wait for it to warm up before putting the heaters on lol? I whack mine straight on full otherwise i would be sat there for ages!

• Like 2

Lol WES180 you have right but i wanted it to warm it for the kid...lol.Thanks for the reply!!!

I love my Focus and i want it to be ok.....lol.Anyway does anyone have notice something like this?

I dont think anyone else will have noticed, youre probably the only person in the world that waits for the engine to heat up before putting the heaters on!:lol:

Iantt gave my post the thumbs up and he is a mechanic so i guess my thoughts about heat dissipation was correct. It does make sense and then once the heater matrix had warmed up too then the whole system temperature would rise again as you said on your gauge. Dont forget that during that time your engine would have been getting hotter anyway causing a further increase. As long as its in the normal range then dont worry about it!

buy the kid a coat. lol

Just put the heaters on straight away!:lol:

Lol thanks for the replies......Yes i am very strange whatever concern my focus LOL

There should be a supplemental heater on a mk3, even being petrol I would think? Just put the heaters on full and you should feel heat within seconds. If not, it'll warm up much quicker by driving it than idling anyway, put the air recirculation on as well.

There should be a supplemental heater on a mk3, even being petrol I would think? Just put the heaters on full and you should feel heat within seconds. If not, it'll warm up much quicker by driving it than idling anyway, put the air recirculation on as well.

supplemental heater on mk3 vehicles is market dependant ie colder climates. not on my mk3 petrol ecoboost

Ah I see, so it's cold enough here for heated windscreen, mirrors and seats...but not a supplemental heater... Ford being stingy with spec again! :lol:

• Like 2

its on the later fiesta and bmax that i know of. might be on higher spec mk3 focus, but definatly not mine, ive looked,

Yeah not good for an engine to left idling while cold, drive pretty much soon after oil is circulated, then drive without over revving till close to normal temp. :blink:

• Like 1

Mine does this the heat from the engine comes through the vents thus taking heat away from the engine causing the temp to go down, nothing to worry about mate, but don't leave it idling in the cold set off and take it easy, it will soon heat up :) Welcome to the site.

Nice to meet you all.Thanks for the advices.......I will buy my kid a coat after all..!!! :D

• Like 1

Since its a ti vct the revs and engine power are limited till the engines up to temp it is on the mk2 so I doubt its changed much

Since its a ti vct the revs and engine power are limited till the engines up to temp it is on the mk2 so I doubt its changed much

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Not at all disputing what you're saying, just genuinely curious...

well the ecu takes info such as engine temp fuel flow and other info and determines when the engine is up to temp in the mk2 you cant boot it from cold as the power is retarded via the timing when warmed up you get full power

The system utilizes a computer controlled oil control valve on each
camshaft. Via a plunger, this valve directs pressurized oil flow into
specific passages for advance or !Removed! of the timing on each camshaft.
oil flows into a rotor vane assembly that is attached to the camshaft.
Chambers are manufactured into the camshaft gear housing for the oil to
flow into, and this causes the camshaft to either advance, !Removed!, or
int the presence of no pressurized oil in the chambers to remain locked
in neutral. When the camshaft timing is changed, it can rotate between
45 and 50 degrees of crankshaft angle.The powertrain control module monitors and controls the entire process.
Camshaft and crankshaft sensors provide data to the PCM and changes can
be made from full advance to full !Removed! on a camshaft in just 0.2
seconds.

Welcome to the site George!

Maybe it was because the heat was dissipated through the heater system registering a cooling effect on the engine temperature gauge?

Why wait for it to warm up before putting the heaters on lol? I whack mine straight on full otherwise i would be sat there for ages!

what WES said was correct - if your car starts to get very hot/overheat then whack the heaters on full blast (yes, even in the summer when its most likely to happen) and this will aid in coolling. strange but true!

• Like 1

Wish I had this issue! Mine struggles to warm up, usually halfway to work before I get hot air out of the vents. IT can be really annoying if the screen has fogged up, no choice but to sit there at idle waiting for the car to warm up and clear it (wiping the screen with a cloth doesn't clear the moisture).

mine heats up fast then it gets to warm i have to turn the heater down mines a mk 2.5 :)

Wish I had this issue! Mine struggles to warm up, usually halfway to work before I get hot air out of the vents. IT can be really annoying if the screen has fogged up, no choice but to sit there at idle waiting for the car to warm up and clear it (wiping the screen with a cloth doesn't clear the moisture).

Before you get to your destination lower the windows down the last couple of minutes of your journey so that any moisture in the car escapes. This will dramatically reduce the misting. Even after getting to your destination keep the windows open very slightly.

• Like 1

Before you get to your destination lower the windows down the last couple of minutes of your journey so that any moisture in the car escapes. This will dramatically reduce the misting. Even after getting to your destination keep the windows open very slightly.

Thanks, will give that a try! Although the last couple of minutes is usually at 70mph so likely to be chilly...can you drive while in a sleeping bag? :P

Sounds like your car isn't '' breathing '' properly if it suffers from excessive interior moisture - when was the pollenfilter last changed ?

The use of aircon / climate control reduces condensation / moisture quicker than the normal airflow

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club