Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob

001james

Hello everyone im a newbie here and i just wondered if anyone can help me,. ive just got myself a 1998 mondeo 1.8 GLX petrol,all is fine except my key fob isnt working for the central locking,ive put new battiers in it ( not sure if i have them the right way round tho ) but it still isnt working ? :( . any advice would be helpful....thanks guys :rolleyes:

Thanks for that link mate,but ive already been to that and no luck, do you know if the batteries go in with the + side facing up or down,i just havent got a clue ?

I can only vouch for the fiesta Mk 6.5 key, which I have had a fresh key put into (one 3V CR2032 lithium, at £3.00p for two at Tesco). The www.zsoc.com website had photos, showing the battery chamber open and old battery still in place, showing the +ve side visible, but it only uses one. Of course, if 2 are used, they WILL be in series, giving twice the volts, otherwise the 2 batteries cancel each other out :-- zero power to the circuit. The car handbook is a bit confusing. I got my friendly mechanic to do it at zero cost, as he will be servicing my front brakes this week, as the dreaded salted roads period is near, and the calipers are already "frozen", at 1 year old. (The 1 year service did not show-up this uneven pad wear-- spanner-monkeys' dull day)

P.S. the old battery had lost 10% of its volts, and that was enough to give reluctant opening. I got the "cloth-ear" response from the Ford lassie : no Technophobe, i'm sure, as she did a double-take when I asked what oil had been used, i.e. a number, then W, then another number?, then a brand.

It seems the Ford service Depts. use non- technical persons as an aid to rebuffing customers who have genuine requests for aid. Even salesmen try it on. (not just Ford)

Our Ford dealer gets the storeman to do battery changes, and the recoding after losing power, is easy for him. (moist fingers foul up the electric contact) Sometimes the contacts in the battery chamber need a tweak/bend/clean.

Hello everyone im a newbie here and i just wondered if anyone can help me,. ive just got myself a 1998 mondeo 1.8 GLX petrol,all is fine except my key fob isnt working for the central locking,ive put new battiers in it ( not sure if i have them the right way round tho ) but it still isnt working ? :( . any advice would be helpful....thanks guys :rolleyes:

had the same problem changed battery aswell my last resort was resetting the ecu that fixed the problem

The easiest way to reset the ECU is to remove fuses 4 and 11 from the fusebox next to the battery in the engine bay and leave the car for about 15 minutes. (This is the case for the Mk1 and Mk2 Zetec engines. Check your user guide for other models) Identifying the fuses means that you will not have to reset your clock or radio, which you would have to do if you were to disconnect the battery.

When the fuses are re-inserted, your car's ECU will relearn according to how you drive your car. This can take anywhere from a couple of hours to a week or so. However, the following steps might speed the overall process up:

Start the car and leave it idling for 15 minutes or so... it will probably stall a couple of times, but it'll soon level out at just under 1,000 revs

Then take the car out and drive it as carefully as you can for an hour or so

Finally, take it out onto the longest road you can find with a national speed limit and open the throttle up

Mk3

The procedure for the Mk3 is slightly different, according to the Haynes manual. They recommend doing the following once the PCM (or ECU) has been disconnected for a while:

To allow the PCM to relearn, start the engine and run it as close to idle speed as possible until it reaches its normal operating temperature Then run it for approximately two minutes at 1200rpm Next, drive the vehicle as far as necessary - approximately 5 miles of varied driving conditions is usually sufficient to complete the relearning process. Don't forget to reset your one touch windows and change the clock to the correct time!

Note, this mod will also reset your stereo if you disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, so if you dont have a code for it, now is a good time to get one!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club