Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some Common Problems...

a9516

Hi there,

I have a petrol Focus 2001 (Mk1?) It's the black edition and it's done 116k miles. It's been a good reliable car in pretty good condition considering it's age.However I have some common issues that I'd like to (hopefully) find solutions to.

The first problem I'd definitely like to fix is that sometimes when I come to start the car, instead of a 'rev and a purr' it grumbles to a start, and yesterday (after 2 days of non use) it sounded horrible when I started it - almost like it misfired a few times. But this starting issue always goes once it's up and running and it runs pretty good from then on. A couple of months ago I replaced all the spark plugs with good new ones, replaced the coil, and used some of that injector cleaning stuff for a while, but this problems still remains though I have yet changed the leads.

Also if I'm driving and I come to a stop at some lights or something and clutch down it sounds like it's about to stall, of course it never does but I've never had a car where the revs have gotten so low until it balances out.

Second is the rear wiper fails to reset to it's starting position if I enable it, though works fine if I use the rear spray jets (but again, fails to stop in it's starting position)

And third is that it develops a steering wobble at 70+, it's funny because 65 is fine, but between that and 70 it suddenly happens. I've had this car just over a year and (luckily) only had to change a rear tire once, but I've noticed that there's spacers between the hub and the wheel. Maybe this has something to do with it? I don't think they're ridiculous thick ones, but still it may have something to do with it.

Thanks for any suggestions in advanced!

To answer your second question about the rear wiper not parking in it's proper position,you usually have to replace the wiper relay R64 at the back of the glove compartment.The front and rear relays are the same and can be swapped over to test if it is the rear relay .Failing that it's a new rear wiper motor unless you can get it repaired.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Which engine is it? The stalling thing could be a crankcase breather pipe or an idle control valve if its a 1.8 petrol. Had to replace both on mine. Pipe is easy to check for faults, the latter isn't sadly.

Thanks for your responses.

Richard, I'll check out the relays on the weekend as I don't get much time when I'm working. Thanks for the suggetsion.

Matthew, my engine is the 1.6 petrol. I don't have any problems driving around, it pulls well and doesn't seem to be down on power or anything. It's mainly starting it up.

To remove the relay can be a little tricky.I would always recommend you disconnecting the negative lead from the battery first.The glove compartment door should be then disconnected from it's arm ,it can then be dropped down giving better access.A 7 mm socket,from memory,can then be used to loosen the metal guard from the fuse box and gain access to the relay.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club