Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk4 Tdci Whining Sound At Low Speeds

PuddingPuss

Hello

I have a Mondeo which is making a whining/whirring sound, not just under acceleration (ie makes the same sound when foot taken off the accelerator), and is more pronounced at low speeds (10-35mph especially) - the sound resembles the noise some cars make when reversing at more than walking pace. It seems to be more a bit noticeable after 15 minutes into a journey. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have this as well, so following kwikfit say its just road noise from tyres as mines on 18"s but not convinced myself?

I have this as well, so following kwikfit say its just road noise from tyres as mines on 18"s but not convinced myself?

Some tyres are noisier than others, and having the lower profile tyres gives less opportunity for the sidewalls to filter out any noise created, so there is a possibility. You'd probably hear a difference in the noise on different road surfaces (more like the existing noise changing than a new noise coming in), so do you?

Also, misaligned wheels can increase the noise, so have they been aligned recently?

I have a Mondeo which is making a whining/whirring sound, not just under acceleration (ie makes the same sound when foot taken off the accelerator), and is more pronounced at low speeds (10-35mph especially) - the sound resembles the noise some cars make when reversing at more than walking pace. It seems to be more a bit noticeable after 15 minutes into a journey. Any thoughts? Thanks.

There are many things this could be and without hearing it it, it is difficult to say. Tyres - see above, but it shouldn't be that loud, could be a gearbox (nearly) out of oil, could be rubbing brakes (you can jack the wheels up, one by one, and spin them to see if you get a noise), wheel bearing ( -ditto, but noise usually changes as the different wheels load up going round a corner), could be a collapsed engine mount transmitting more noise to the cabin and probably many other things I can't immediately think of. If you can't get more of a clue from where the noise is coming from (maybe a passenger can help you here), you may have to get the help of a garage.

Some tyres are noisier than others, and having the lower profile tyres gives less opportunity for the sidewalls to filter out any noise created, so there is a possibility. You'd probably hear a difference in the noise on different road surfaces (more like the existing noise changing than a new noise coming in), so do you?

Also, misaligned wheels can increase the noise, so have they been aligned recently?

There are many things this could be and without hearing it it, it is difficult to say. Tyres - see above, but it shouldn't be that loud, could be a gearbox (nearly) out of oil, could be rubbing brakes (you can jack the wheels up, one by one, and spin them to see if you get a noise), wheel bearing ( -ditto, but noise usually changes as the different wheels load up going round a corner), could be a collapsed engine mount transmitting more noise to the cabin and probably many other things I can't immediately think of. If you can't get more of a clue from where the noise is coming from (maybe a passenger can help you here), you may have to get the help of a garage.

no its not tracking, wheel bearing, or the like that was my first thought so its all been checked out, road surface changes road noise but the noise that's concerning is not road noise that i have heard, and have owned driven many cars on 18's without experiencing it, even on some rather poor quality tyres i am hoping its not the gearbox!! will get the oil changed in box and see if it quiets down any. thanks for the input :)

Possibly the Alternator? how many miles it done?

• Like 1

I posted the exact same issue a few days ago, a member told me they'd had experienced the same and it was down to alternator bearings.

Mines more prominent when rolling downhill in gear with no revs and idle revving in neutral so I know it's not a gearbox/clutch/flywheel issue. My previous car had low profile 18's that wasn't balanced very well when I first purchased it but it never made a whining noise so I doubt it's anything to do with wheels.

let me know if anything changes with your oil change too, with what I've heard and from what I've seen I'm 90% certain mine is down to the alternator

• Like 1

I know when i went to buy mine the garage mention a whine and that it needed a new one so i reckon it must be this

I've heard it's a pricey job to replace the alternator on these Mondeo's, how much did yours set you back or was it warranted?

Luckily for me the Ford garage did it before i brought the car

I posted the exact same issue a few days ago, a member told me they'd had experienced the same and it was down to alternator bearings.

Mines more prominent when rolling downhill in gear with no revs and idle revving in neutral so I know it's not a gearbox/clutch/flywheel issue. My previous car had low profile 18's that wasn't balanced very well when I first purchased it but it never made a whining noise so I doubt it's anything to do with wheels.

let me know if anything changes with your oil change too, with what I've heard and from what I've seen I'm 90% certain mine is down to the alternator

ahh this would make more sense, will get this checked out, thanks for everyones input and sorry i kinda hijacked the thread :)

no its not tracking, wheel bearing, or the like that was my first thought so its all been checked out, road surface changes road noise but the noise that's concerning is not road noise that i have heard, and have owned driven many cars on 18's without experiencing it, even on some rather poor quality tyres i am hoping its not the gearbox!! will get the oil changed in box and see if it quiets down any. thanks for the input :)

Thanks for the input, definitely not wheels or tyres as rolling downhill with the engine not running and there's no noise experienced.

Yep mine's just as prominent revving in neutral, does not increase when turning the steering wheel or cornering, but does definitely appear quieter driving the first few miles around town in the morning. Sound does go when depressing the clutch to change gear. No sound at all when engine off and rolling down a steep hill...do we still believe likely to be alternator (or just the belt?) - battery charges ok - just one 'low battery' message weeks ago but nothing since and usually no problem cold starting...

I've heard it's a pricey job to replace the alternator on these Mondeo's, how much did yours set you back or was it warranted?

I think I could get one for £50 (or new £110) and fitted for an hours labour?? - Southampton area.

Possibly the Alternator? how many miles it done?

150k miles.

I'd go with that. Reckon £110 sounds about right too, lease you will get a new Aux belt too

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club