Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Wobble Through Steering Wheel

Kezzabird

Hi I am hoping for some help. I have a 2005 focus that I have only had for a few months. I have noticed a intermittent wheel wobble that shudders up to my steering wheel. I have had the wheel balancing and tracking done. The last mechanic who looked at it said it is hard to find the fault as it is intermittent so needs to see it when the fault happens but there is no rhyme or reason as to when it does it although it is getting more frequent. When it happens, the engine changes sound ie gets more deeper and the sterring wheel starts wobbling and I can feel this through the floor... When I get over 50 the steering wheel feels like it is going to come loose and it is hard to control. I got my daughter to film it yesterday. Someone mentioned it may be the flywheel? I wondered if anyone else had heard of this issue. It is worrying driving it now as yesterday during the rain it was hard to control. I should say it is has just passed its mot too. thanks in advance.,

Steering wheel '' wobble '' @ over 50 m.p.h. is very often associated with incorrect wheel balance - although you say this has been done - when was it done & by whom ?

Hi mark, thanks for responding. It was done at the local tyre garage that we have all our company fleet cars tyres fitted so I am fairly confident that have done it properly... It was carried out about a month or 2 ago. There was no improvement from when they did it. I am tempted to sell the car quickly now as am worried it could be the flywheel as suggested by a mechanic friend.

Hi Alex, it doesn't just do it when driving over 50mph, it can do it in a lower speed but it is more noticeable through the steering wheel at a faster speed. It can happen as soon as I start the car or it can happen after 20 miles of driving. It really does feel like the wheels are going to fall off. I could try posting a video of it happening yesterday. does this site allow that?

if I am allowed to upload a video, do you know how haha

But what I mean, is that will it ALWAYS do it at 50, or only sometimes?

If it only does it sometimes that rules out wheel balancing as an out of balance wheel would wobble all the time no matter what at 50.

Oh I see, sorry, yes only sometimes. I can drive around for days and there be nothing, then it was just happen but not just when doing over 50.

Hi mark, thanks for responding. It was done at the local tyre garage that we have all our company fleet cars tyres fitted so I am fairly confident that have done it properly... It was carried out about a month or 2 ago. There was no improvement from when they did it. I am tempted to sell the car quickly now as am worried it could be the flywheel as suggested by a mechanic friend.

If there was no improvement then wheel balance can probably be discounted & i'd be looking at possible suspension / steering geometry issues - is this car a diesel ?

Edited by MONDEO TXS 2.2

I would expect something mechanical to be constantly causing a wobble.

It almost sounds like the power steering or brakes are doing something odd.

Can you hold on to the steering wheel and correct it? Does it feel like a mechanical wobble or more of a tug left and right?

Easiest way to upload a video is with youtube then just post the link to it.

The car is petrol. There is no correctly the wheel. I just have to try and hold it steady. It does not just tug one way it literally just wobbles side to side. Am going to try and upload a video to see if you can see it. thanks for your help peeps. :)

I did once have the weird experience that an engine misfire caused the car to wobble so badly that iit was almost impossible to keep within the lane lines on a motorway. This was quite worrying, particularly the first time that it happened, when it came as a surprise.

In this case, changing down to a lower gear made the problem go away (not a satisfactory as an overall answer, though...). Does this have any effect in your case?

I have exactly the same issue in my 05 Focus. I never did tracking, however.