Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Now This Is Weird - Landline Phone Weirdness

GMX

My landline phone rings, not the usual brrr-brrr, brrr-brrr, brrr-brrr, but a continuous brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :huh:

Unlike a proper phonecall, there is no caller ID number, nor "caller withheld" "info unavailable" message. Just the symbol for incoming call and the duration timer! :huh:

I pick up the receiver, and I can hear a conversation taking place between the local GP receptionist and a man trying to book an appointment. Neither party can hear me, as my several "hello, can you hear me" went unanswered: but I can hear them quite distinctly. However, the patient can't hear the GP receptionist clearly and keeps saying so.

I put the receiver down, but the phone duration display indicates the call is continuing. Pressing the end call button, doesn't release my line from this call. Even after repeated pressings.

My number is nothing like the GPs. Can't comment on the would-be patients number.

There's no additional noise on the line, the line is completely clear of interference.

This is a wired landline not a cordless, so it isn't like someone's operating on the same frequency on a handset.

It's happened twice today :unsure:

And another two more times :lol:

Edited by GMX

Seems like there is (literally) a crossed wire somewhere!!

• Like 2

Phone your telephone provider and register a fault

• Like 1

Shame it couldnt have been a naughty chatline rather than the local GP Surgery!:lol:

• Like 3

Used to be known as a crossed line in the olden days

• Like 1

Used to be known as a crossed line in the olden days

Was that with the baked bean tins and string?;)

• Like 3

Was that with the baked bean tins and string? ;)

Oh yes :) . . . a common occurrence in the late 60's / early 70's - some properties had what were called '' party lines '' - shared phonelines :(

• Like 2

Have you tried dialling out to see if it is going out as your number?

Your line provider should be able to run a line test to see if they can detect any faults remotely.

• Like 1

I wonder if it's a temporary thing caused by all the rain.

I'll contact Zen, if it's still happening tomorrow.

Have you tried dialling out to see if it is going out as your number?

Your line provider should be able to run a line test to see if they can detect any faults remotely.

Didn't think of trying that.

Yes, just tried that, and called my mobile.

I get the message "It's not been possible to connect your call" , there's a delay of a few seconds, then wrong number is displayed on the mobile, and then the mobile rings!

There's clearly something awry - I shall call Zen and report it :)

• Like 2

I cant remember the last time my house phone rang. Wouldn't be one of your neighbours calling the GP would it. Maybe a bad connection in the junction box or something like that.

Worse still. your neighbour might have an extension wired into your phone line for calling relatives and friends in Australia lol.

I cant remember the last time my house phone rang. Wouldn't be one of your neighbours calling the GP would it. Maybe a bad connection in the junction box or something like that.

Worse still. your neighbour might have an extension wired into your phone line for calling relatives and friends in Australia lol.

As it turns out, it probably is a near neighbour, very close to where Openreach repaired the line two months ago :huh:

The chap called himself Postlethwaite, there's a family of them, some 10 houses up the road. The only Postlethwaites in the area

Still waiting for Openreach to confirm to Zen, a day and time for investigation. :mellow:

As it turns out, it probably is a near neighbour, very close to where Openreach repaired the line two months ago :huh:

The chap called himself Postlethwaite, there's a family of them, some 10 houses up the road. The only Postlethwaites in the area

Still waiting for Openreach to confirm to Zen, a day and time for investigation. :mellow:

When you pass them in the street you should ask how they got on at the doctors with their....... (be specific about what symptoms you heard).:lol:

• Like 2

When you pass them in the street you should ask how they got on at the doctors with their....... (be specific about what symptoms you heard).:lol:

Can you imagine the look on their face while they are thinking WTF

Can you imagine the look on their face while they are thinking WTF

I would ask and then just walk off leaving them baffled!:lol:

• Like 1

Sounds like crosstalk. Didn't even realize it still occurred nowadays aha.

Sounds like crosstalk. Didn't even realize it still occurred nowadays aha.

It's a first for me too. :huh:

Still no confirmation from Openreach to Zen :(

It's supposed to five working days from reporting it, to fixing it, so that's next week now. :rolleyes:

On old analogue exchanges it was a common problem but on digital systems i'd say the fault is more localised at a street box or suchlike.

• Like 1

Well this is strange - I've had a similar thing!

Yesterday I called the home phone from my mobile (at work) and instead of ringing, it immediately connected to a man talking to his son... The conversation (in which they couldn't hear me) went on for about 20 seconds before it cut off mid-sentence. I called back and got a message stating "you have dialed an incorrect number, please check and try again". Rang for a third time and it went through fine...

I forgot about it until today when the EXACT SAME THING happened again!! This time it was a man cancelling his appointment with a building company. Same thing on the second attempt (dialed incorrect number) and then it worked on third try.

According to my mother (who I was trying to get through to) the phone did ring on the first two attempts but cut out when she picked up the receiver.

• Like 1