Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Headlights

Karl R

I know this will sound like a really dumb question and will be the first to mock myself for being so dim!!. I have just changed to my first mk4 and i knew i needed to replace a headlight when i purchased the car, which is a titanium with sports pack 2008. The light is one of the projector type lens which i had thought was just halogen bulbs but after checking it has a large silver box in back of light with says HID xenon is this a factory fitted thing or is it likly just a after market bulb afair? and can i just take it out and replace with halogen if i need to as the lights are pretty pants if i'm honest. But also i have searched the part referance on the light unit with regards replacing and can find nothing really? the part is 7S71-13D164-BL

Any help will be greatfully recieved, thanks in advance, Karl

Hi when you take the back of the headlight cover off is there aload of wires going through there? Say red and black wires with connector blocks on them?

Hi when you take the back of the headlight cover off is there aload of wires going through there? Say red and black wires with connector blocks on them?

when i remove rectangle cover i just see a large silver box with hid written on it, any cabling must be in front of it?

Sounds like an aftermarket kit, does the car have headlamp washers? When you turn the lights on do you notice that the move about a little before settling? If the answer is no then they are after market and all you hav to do is disconnect the the big silver box from the OEM wiring and remove the box and bulb, pop a new bulb in the unit, I'd recommend osram night breakers, and connect the OEM harness to the bulb. Remember, what you do on one side you must do on the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sounds like an aftermarket kit, does the car have headlamp washers? When you turn the lights on do you notice that the move about a little before settling? If the answer is no then they are after market and all you hav to do is disconnect the the big silver box from the OEM wiring and remove the box and bulb, pop a new bulb in the unit, I'd recommend osram night breakers, and connect the OEM harness to the bulb. Remember, what you do on one side you must do on the other.

thanks, yes it has headlight washers i will check to see about the movement, thanks for taking the time m8 i appreciate it.

• Like 1

If it has headlight washers then they must be factory fitted xenons, i didn't think headlight washers were fitted to models without xenons? Photo of your headlights may be useful.

You should see them 'dance' about a little when shone against a wall when started, it will only do this from cold though, once the bulbs have been on once they tend not to do it again for some time. It is part of the self levelling procedure calibration.

If they are factory fit then bulbs could be quite expensive, I've heard of £80 bulbs and up to £200 so be prepared.

I don't think a photo of the headlight would be too helpful as you couldn't see if they where factory or not from there AFAIK I agree with LJ as a rule headlamp washers usually only get fitted to HID units.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club