Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damsel In Distress - Ecoboost Reality

Kateysan

Cheers Karl (first timer so apologies if it is bad etiquette to use first names ).

I think it's the Fiesta 100PS I will go for. I shouldn't have paid so much attention to the forums. A lot of the time people only post when they have problems. It's the same as never looking up your symptoms online I guess. It's just the Ecoboost is not a big seller at all here so it has been so hard to get any info!

This site is great though - even if they didn't have my county in the drop down menu - I just picked a neighbouring county

• Like 2

Hi, I had an 11 reg Fiesta zetec in a 1.25. I traded that in in Sept 2013 for a brand new Ecoboost Zetec (100) and I LOVE it ! I would never go back now. The difference is night and day ...... really.

I had to get used to it being so high geared tho, but it's nippy, easy to drive and I haven't anything bad to say about it. I hated the 1.25 (82) and have no regrets changing it out after only 2.5 years.

• Like 2

I don't have the Ecoboost but have the 1.6 Ti-vct and had it for 12 months and very nippy as i came from

a Corsa D 1.4 which was so sloooooow.

I have been in a Ecoboost in the Focus 125BHP and amazed me how smooth and nippy it was.

When time is right i will go for the 125BHP one but that's me as just that little bit more BHP.

I think its a great engine and i would go for it,you will love it.

• Like 1

At the end of the day the 1.25 ltr / 82 bhp & the 999 c.c. / 99 bhp ecoboost are both very good but very different engines in a very good car that is the Fiesta.

The 1.25 is tried & trusted & ultra reliable, but old, low output tech, whereas the ecoboost is multi award winning, state of the art tech & no doubt the future of small capacity, high output petrol engines.

I do foresee the 1.25 engine being phased out at some point.

If i was in that market I'd buy the ecoboost engined version.

• Like 2

Guys, thanks so much to all for your input, it has been really helpful and nice to read some positive feedback. Obviously I would have preferred to do a test drive but with my own car dying slowly (in garage 3 times in last month and still not right - they replaced a speedo sensor when I suspect it was an instrument dash cluster problem all along) I don't want to pump even more money into a car I am replacing.

Well anyway, I did it, I pushed the buy button today and have signed up for the Ecoboost 1L 100PS Titanium :)

I reckoned even if I drove it for 3 years it will still be under warranty (unless I do SERIOUS mileage) and if a load of issues start rearing their head on the older models I can always do a trade in against another model.

It's time to embrace the power!!

• Like 4

Woooo! Congratulations! It'll be the best purchase you make this year.. except a remap ;)

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

Hi, I bought my 1.0 100hp ecoboost in August with 14000 on the clock.

The only issue I have is the clutch is extremely heavy and I owned 3 big diesel before, this is really noticeable when you are in slow moving traffic queues and constantly holding it down.

The other issue mentioned is the high gearing but you get used to that.

Guys, thanks so much to all for your input, it has been really helpful and nice to read some positive feedback. Obviously I would have preferred to do a test drive but with my own car dying slowly (in garage 3 times in last month and still not right - they replaced a speedo sensor when I suspect it was an instrument dash cluster problem all along) I don't want to pump even more money into a car I am replacing.

Well anyway, I did it, I pushed the buy button today and have signed up for the Ecoboost 1L 100PS Titanium :)

I reckoned even if I drove it for 3 years it will still be under warranty (unless I do SERIOUS mileage) and if a load of issues start rearing their head on the older models I can always do a trade in against another model.

It's time to embrace the power!!

Hey hey, Welcome to the EcoBoost club Kateysan :)

Drop me a message when you've got it any problems feel free to drop me a message.

Mac9577

• Like 2

Hi Everyone, I have a 100PS Ecoboost and to echo other points here I can highly recommend it, sometimes I do miss the better acceleration of the 125 but 95% of the time it has enough juice even on the German autobahn. I live in central Europe and have driven it through Belgium, France, Germany and Switzerland on relatively long trips and was significantly impressed with the fuel economy and performance. However, when it comes to city driving it is not in my view what it is cracked up to be that said I am still happy with it as its nimble around town.

In terms of driving experience, it is easy and responsive but above all fun to drive. It handles great and is comfortable on longer trips so say I and my follow passengers.

My mileage is very low so I cannot comment on reliability, but so far there are no issues.

• Like 1

Hi, I bought my 1.0 100hp ecoboost in August with 14000 on the clock. The only issue I have is the clutch is extremely heavy and I owned 3 big diesel before, this is really noticeable when you are in slow moving traffic queues and constantly holding it down. The other issue mentioned is the high gearing but you get used to that.

Yeah I have read that there are cylinder slave issues with the clutch and is one to watch out for. That and the plastic pipe issue.

Hey hey, Welcome to the EcoBoost club Kateysan :)

Drop me a message when you've got it any problems feel free to drop me a message.

Mac9577

Cheers, will do. Thanks a mill.

Yeah I have read that there are cylinder slave issues with the clutch and is one to watch out for. That and the plastic pipe issue.

If you're buying new then there will be no plastic pipe.

If you buy used and there is a plastic pipe, take it to Ford as there's an active recall.

If you buy new and there's any issues, you're under warranty

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Ginger flame, where abouts is this pipe that if its plastic they are recalling? I'd like to check mine.. It's 2013?

Ginger flame, where abouts is this pipe that if its plastic they are recalling? I'd like to check mine.. It's 2013?

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=3&f=23&t=1446484&i=80&mid=0&nmt=Ford+Ecoboost+Engine+Failure+(TWICE)

The gears are

w
How easy is it to drive? I won't know myself with all the extra torque compared to the current 124nm I have. Does it take a bit of handling? I've read it performs well on lower gears but could do with a 6th gear? Guess you get used to any new car you drive though.

The gears are longer so in some ways it feels like a diesel/petrol hybrid in that respect but you do get used to it pretty quickly. For small car it does feel quite sturdy. Downside is not great boot space and not great rear seat space but unless you've a family that's not too big a deal. Just drive up to the north, there are a few ecoboosts about, I got mine from Belfast. Even if you get somewhere near the border for the test drive. There's ones in Newry, and Monaghan I think. The car is very easy to handle, 100 isn't going to blow your socks off but it does feel like a vast improvement from what I had. Great mpg for the performance. I researched almost new cars for about 6 months and couldn't see past the Ecoboost. Let me know how you get on

• Like 1

I will Lee. I have bored everyone I know already and I still have 2 months to wait for delivery!!

The boot and back space will be fine for my needs, it will be smaller than my focus but I rarely am overloaded on mine as it is.

I'll be on here looking for driving tips for turbos as I have never driven one

So excited now.

Ps: ambient lighting???? Is the car going to woo me???

I don't mind too much about the ambient lighting but I have a friend who has the 1.25 and she doesn't have bluetooth, ambient lighting and the interior isn't shiny. Good thing about the lighting is you can turn it off or on as you desire. She notices the difference getting in to my car and always remarks how nice mine is even though hers is same colour and year. I have friend with BMW's and I still talk more about my 1.0 ha. Side note...I installed my bluefin about half an hour ago and went for a spin...

• Like 1

I don't mind too much about the ambient lighting but I have a friend who has the 1.25 and she doesn't have bluetooth, ambient lighting and the interior isn't shiny. Good thing about the lighting is you can turn it off or on as you desire. She notices the difference getting in to my car and always remarks how nice mine is even though hers is same colour and year. I have friend with BMW's and I still talk more about my 1.0 ha. Side note...I installed my bluefin about half an hour ago and went for a spin...

How did she go?

Good, noticed the traction control come on a bit. Won't see the benefit of it on the commute but hopefully will brighten the weekends up!

• Like 1

I was just thinking i am kind of glad I have a bit of a wait for the car. Hopefully by March any potential for deep freeze will have passed. It's been so mild I know but could you IMAGINE having to drive your brand spanking new car on ice?!?

I hate ice ever since I went into a spin coming out of a double hairpin bend, no damage but it spooked me.

• Like 1

Every car out there will have a fault or problem even if new.

I had mine (1.6 not a Ecoboost) because of a dam good deal i had and i love it,not 1 fault in 12 months.

As some on here say the older engine is tried and tested and ultra reliable and is a good thing.

The Eco range is the newer one so you will read a few problems but i do see your point.

I had the same in my mind how a little 1000cc engine can be pushed so hard with a turbo and 3 cylinder.

But i will still have one,i wouldn't look at the saving on the fuel a lot if you are doing very small trips every day.

I only use a bit more on MPG as my mates focus 125 Eco on small trips over 100 miles say,how you drive it as well.

• Like 1

To Be fair re the pipe cracking issue.

Every occurrence I can find on-line after a (very) quick look relates to the Focus version of the engine which has a different header tank layout and shorter pipes.

There is no recall on the Fiesta - I have checked mine on ETIS.

• Like 2

Every car out there will have a fault or problem even if new.

I had mine (1.6 not a Ecoboost) because of a dam good deal i had and i love it,not 1 fault in 12 months.

As some on here say the older engine is tried and tested and ultra reliable and is a good thing.

The Eco range is the newer one so you will read a few problems but i do see your point.

I had the same in my mind how a little 1000cc engine can be pushed so hard with a turbo and 3 cylinder.

But i will still have one,i wouldn't look at the saving on the fuel a lot if you are doing very small trips every day.

I only use a bit more on MPG as my mates focus 125 Eco on small trips over 100 miles say,how you drive it as well.

Yeah, not too worried about the MPG as I know it will really depend on what I am doing. I do about 54km a day split between country roads, motorway and city driving. Our roads are not as good as they are in the UK and that will be a factor too.

All I am reading is that what you may not save in petrol is made up for by the amount of smiling you do driving :)

I'm far too late into this topic, but I'm glad you went with the ecoboost! Love mine, far more capable than I was expecting. The alternative 1.2 you suggested is a bit long in the tooth nowadays - its fine if you had no choice about it, but the 1.0 is a better offering :)

Only thing I've noticed with mine is the very slight drop in mpg in this colder weather but it's been fine so far.

Enjoy counting down the days!

• Like 1

Cheers Loz. So excited now.

Was just looking up if i had to put IRL sticker on my car when I am in UK in March. Thank goodness it appears not needed anymore, it would have made me weep to have to put a sticker on my new metallic paint, although there must be magnetic ones now.