Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 1.6 Petrol

The Dark Knight

Guys, I've been looking up the Mk2 Focus on autotrader with a budget of £2k. Either Zetec Climate or Ghia spec. I used to own a 2005 reg Zetec Climate back in 2006 but it died in a crash.

So I know what its like as a car but I had some questions about the engine. Mine was the standard 1.6 but there is a slightly more powerful 1.6 Ti-VCT. Does anyone have any experience of the latter? Is it worth it over the standard 1.6?

I don't need diesel at about 4.5k miles per year so petrol is fine.

Also, I would consider a HID Kit so has anyone gone down the HID route with the Mk2? I've heard good things about them.

Cheers

Oh and one other thing! If I was looking at a 100bhp 1.6 side by side with the 115bhp 1.6, how can I tell them apart? Anything under the bonnet to give the game away perhaps?

is the extra 15 bhp worth the potential risk of rather expensive engine repairs if the vct system goes all pete tong , in comparison to the relatively more simple and reliable basic 100bhp engine........?

i'd say not , as in real terms 15bhp is not that much more extra performance , but that is only my opinion.

i would imagine there are visible albeit subtle differences in how the 2 engines look under the bonnet but im not an expert so can offer no further info , however it will almost certainly state which engine is fitted on any documentation accompanying the vehicles that you view.

hid kits are available for the mk2 and are relatively easy to install if that is what you choose to do.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I must admit that having done a Google search, the normal 1.6 would be best. There have been problems for owners wth the other one and bills exceeding £500. I never felt the standard model was slow.

With regard to spec, I like the idea of the ghia but there's more to go wrong with the added gizmos. Zetec climate might be the best model.

save some extra pennies and get a mk2.5 model (2008 and onwards)

the small but noticable interior and exterior upgrades will leave you with a much more stylish looking & more modern feeling car , definately worth the extra cash if you ask me.

I see what you are saying but I should have clarified that my 2014 Fiesta ST is on finance and being handed back in March. This is because I'm getting rid of finance as I save for my first house. £2k max for my budget which restricts me to pre-facelift. I'm ok with that though. Bigger fish to fry so to speak.

I've been looking at those too. Trouble is, I've not spotted one without a manky steering wheel yet (posted a topic about that). Plus I was thinking that if a newer focus falls within my price range, it would make sense to go for it. Even though I prefer the looks of the Mk1.5

Yeah I've noticed the ones with the later steering wheel have gone nasty! Maybe pick up a reconditioned one off eBay or get it refurbished?

Defo the ti vct 15bhp doesn't sound a lot but you get max torque at 1500 rpm giving a broader power band and it revs higher it'll easily outpower a diesel however the early vct units were aluminium and prone to wear causing issues if I was buying again I wouldn't buy a vct but I wouldn't be buying a ford anyway

Given the age mist will need timing belts done now and a coolant change if its nit been done so budget a few hundred for that add in road tax as well you're be better increasing you're budget to 3k giving you more options on a newer model or even a non ford

Zetec climate has stiff springs you'll feel it on bad roads but does have heated screen heated mirrors heated washers etc however to be fair you rarely need them again mines upgraded so I've got all the ambient lighting upgraded Sony head unit little things like the dimmer switch and auto rear mirror etc extra 12v sockets so you can get more spec than a mk2.5 fairly easily

£3k just isn't doable but I did consider a Mazda 3. I like the sort of funky interior but do they have heated windscreen on the model that was around from 04-08? I've heard that because they were owned by or associated with Ford, they would have it but I've never read anything concrete on that front. Similar to Land Rover which have had heated windscreens since the days of Ford ownership.

£3k just isn't doable but I did consider a Mazda 3. I like the sort of funky interior but do they have heated windscreen on the model that was around from 04-08? I've heard that because they were owned by or associated with Ford, they would have it but I've never read anything concrete on that front. Similar to Land Rover which have had heated windscreens since the days of Ford ownership.

Mazda's were commonly known as '' Japanese Fords '' in the dim & distant past because Ford did indeed have a financial interest - whether that is still the case i don't know

Focus, Mazda and Volvo STILL share some common parts....ie the battery cover on the focus mk2 facelift has Volvo stamped on the underside and they're all based around the same chassis

Ford ended the partnership with Mazda in 2010. Currently Ford still owns a small bit of mazda but they plan to sell this also. Volvo was completely owned by Ford but they sold it in 2010 to the Chinese Geely company.

To reduce development costs the Focus MK2/MK2.5 was built on the same C1 platform as the following cars:

* Ford C-max Mk1/MK1.5

* Ford Kuga MK1

* Volvo S40 (P11)

* Volvo V50 (P12)

* Volvo C30 (P14)

* Volvo C70 (P15)

* Mazda 3 (BK)

* Mazda premacy/Mazda 5 (BK)

Currently Ford does not actively share part with Volvo or Mazda. However some parts are still the same. The Focus MK3/MK3.5 is built on the Ford C1MCA platform. At the time the current Volvo V40 was developed Volvo was still owned by Ford so the Volvo V40 is also designed on the C1MCA platform. However after being sold Volvo literally revised every nut, bolt and spring of the platform. The current Mazda 3 has a platform which is basically a further development of the old C1 platform.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club