Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 2006 - Loss Of Power

Tsoski

Hi folks,

I have been into the garage a few times last week trying to get this issue solved and still no luck so wanted to see if anyone on here had an opinion?

The problem:

Last Sunday, weather was pretty bad and went through a couple of large pools of standing water, with no real problem. Then a couple of days later the car has started losing power at inclines, have to drop down to 3rd in some cases to get up. On flats its not to bad, can still get to 60 just a bit slower than usual. There has been no problems starting the motor and this same problem happened about 6-7 months ago and a new fuel filter sorted it.

What's been tried so far:

• New fuel filter
  • New spark plugs
  • New Air filter
  • Put in Esso fuel (instead of tesco) and Redex

Going to try today or tomorrow:

Full Disclosure:

I bought the car just over 11 months ago at 63000 miles and I was commuting heavily but recently moved closer to work and now sitting at 84000. Apart from the loss of power and new filter no other issues. The MOT in September was no problem either.

This is my first car (passed last February) so not got any clue on what should be done, any advice appreciated.

Which petrol engine does your car have ?

Which petrol engine does your car have ?

1.25? If that's not what you mean I can go check it at lunch.

1.25? If that's not what you mean I can go check it at lunch.

That is what i mean - maybe the H.T. leads are breaking down & / or the coil pack is failing ?

As you state the same problem happened before, do you think driving through the standing water was just a coincidence ? How deep was the standing water ?

• Like 1

That is what i mean - maybe the H.T. leads are breaking down & / or the coil pack is failing ?

As you state the same problem happened before, do you think driving through the standing water was just a coincidence ? How deep was the standing water ?

Sorry the last time it happened, there was no incident that I noticed, rather it just seemed to start happening.

It was "fairly" deep there was a fair splash but I had slowed down some cause it was on a bend but still unexpected.

There could be water ingress from that event which won't be helping but as you state the issue appears when the engine is under extra load I'd try new H.T. leads first as the cheapest option & see if there's any difference

• Like 1

Does the car feel like it's hesitating or holding back when you try to increase the revs, especially at lower revs?

Could be possible HT or coil issue as above but without seeing it, it's a wild guess.

An oil change won't have any affect on how the car is running I'm afraid.

Does the car feel like it's hesitating or holding back when you try to increase the revs, especially at lower revs?

Could be possible HT or coil issue as above but without seeing it, it's a wild guess.

An oil change won't have any affect on how the car is running I'm afraid.

A little bit, I would say its slower speeding up than I remember it being even on flats or downhill.

Coil pack & HT leads are a common fault on the mk6 fiesta 2002-2008

Well the guy at the garage isn't convinced that it will be the coils as he recons there would be more vibrations or jumping in the car, there was mild vibrations and a thudding sound when going up hill.

So he just went with the oil change and flush and it has improved it quite a bit actually, there is still a loss of power when going up a particularly steep hill but it's not as bad as it was and on straights on small inclines there's almost no problem.

Thinking of leaving it a couple of days, putting in some more decent fuel and tank cleaner and see how it goes.

Sounds like the HT leads or coil pack to me. I had a similar issue which when I put my foot flat to the ground going up a hill in low gear it would just struggle. Although in regards to the sound have you checked that you brakes haven't seized as this could slow you down a good bit.

• Like 1

Sounds like the HT leads or coil pack to me. I had a similar issue which when I put my foot flat to the ground going up a hill in low gear it would just struggle. Although in regards to the sound have you checked that you brakes haven't seized as this could slow you down a good bit.

Yea if it's not improved fully in a day or two I'm just going to go with getting the new coil pack and I'll get him to have a look at the breaks too thanks.