Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wet Back Seats

crompy70

Hi all....well im basically stumped..the problem is that my back seats are soaking wet and the part you lay back on.

but the headrests are dry all of the roof liner is dry all the foot wells and carpets are dry.the only places that are wet are the bit you sit on and lie back on all the rest is bone dry.

my car is the focus sedan with a boot and all i can think the problem is that condensation on my back window is dripping down onto the seating area.

cause like i say everything else is dry exept for under the seats. but how does it get wet on the part that touches my back?

how do i stop so much condensation build up on my back window to stop it soaking my seats..at the moment my seats are tipped up forward but i cant stop the part that i lay back on getting wet..

also the car is starting to smell real musty now and im left scratching my head.....

can anyone help me out with a solution?

any help will be appreciated..

:unsure: :unsure: thankyou

Hi there I have a water leak in the rear of my car I came on here a couple of days ago to get some help and had some really good things to check on if you read my post they may help you. Have you checked the spare wheel well in the boot mine was full of rainwater when driving around this sploshed over and soaked my back seats and down into the foot wells on the rear seats not much but enough make them wet, I'm hopefully going to investigate all the areas I've been advised to tomorow morning but ide check under the boot liner cover and see I there's water in there if there is you have same problem as me hope this helps you ill update my post hopefully tomorow if I find the cause all best buddy

• Like 1

Hi there I have a water leak in the rear of my car I came on here a couple of days ago to get some help and had some really good things to check on if you read my post they may help you. Have you checked the spare wheel well in the boot mine was full of rainwater when driving around this sploshed over and soaked my back seats and down into the foot wells on the rear seats not much but enough make them wet, I'm hopefully going to investigate all the areas I've been advised to tomorow morning but ide check under the boot liner cover and see I there's water in there if there is you have same problem as me hope this helps you ill update my post hopefully tomorow if I find the cause all best buddy

thanks for the reply buddy..and yes i have checked under boot liner it is showing wet but no water at all in the spare wheel well as it has 2 rubber plugs in it with holes in to let water drain out...the boot liner was wet in places but not wet enough to say that this was the issue as my back seats are more wetter if that makes any sense...its the bit that my back touches that has me scratching my head as there is a 6 inch gap between my boot liner and the back of my seats..im just trying to get my car dried out at moment then i can start looking into it properly..so i have thrown a cover over car for last few days and like i say tipped the part of my seats i sit on forward to hopefully dry(nobody can travel in back at mo)and put some bin liners down and on back of seats to stop getting any more wetter...thanks again

No worries hope you get it sorted soon mines the same got my back seats folded down and propped up in the middle and everything in the front out the boot I've never seen anything like it and really disappointed that a car four years old can go like this my 6th car and the only one that has leaked good luck and all the best 😊

thanks buddy...had another look today and my boot liner is soaking wet and was touching the bottom of the back seat where my back would toch and thats why my seats are getting wet...so ive taken out bootliner to dry out..now to try and find why the boot is getting wet now..prob gonna be boot seals as my car is the sedan with the boot not the hatchback...thanks again

check the rear lights for leaking or the rear sceen washer pipe hasnt come off

• Like 1

surely if pipe come off rear screen wash it the main screen wash under bonnet would be empty

The water is coming in on the right hand side of my car seems to be coming in by the rear parking lights sensor control module quite a steady trickle coming from behind it I need to take the rest lights out and the bumper of to see if there is a blockage by the lower vents or a poor seal at the moment it feels wet also on the wheel strut area too and if put hand through top of just under the lights so I'm not sure myself yet praying for A dry day so I can have a good luck. I jetwashed it yesterday too when I lifted the boot lid it was fairly dry but after driving off and getting home I lifted it again and there was small water pools again bottom far right hand side by the wheel strut and parking sensor module. I've completely emptied the boot everything a removed the right hand side boot panel it just pulls off, spare wheel and stuff I've put in the front passenger area and I've laid 4 large towels all around the boot to see which areas are getting weather permitting I going to try have a look tomorow

surely if pipe come off rear screen wash it the main screen wash under bonnet would be empty

no .it will only come out when pushing the washer button/lever .some times they split .

check the rear lights for leaking or the rear sceen washer pipe hasnt come off

my car doesnt have the rear screen wash with it being the sedan model with a boot not hatchback...but i could be the rear lights leaking tho...

I've found the problem, took the bumper off and found the water getting into the vents there's four altogether they have a gasket around them which had failed. Water runs off the roof down under the lights and off down the,sides of the car having the baskets fail on the vents caused water to fill the cavity behind them about an inch full of water this was spilling over into the boot steady trickle and when driving around more than a trickle if you have a look at my post there's a great explanation from wez he's left a link to his post and exactly the same problem as me I took the bumper off to expose the vents you can see there poorly fitted and the baskets are not flush meaning no seal allowing water to enter the space behind them. Underneath on either side just under the bumper are two bungs if you pop them off and water comes out the problem is there I've stopped mine leaking I'm going to get some loctite sealent from Halfords and seal them back up. Check out wez post there's pictures and all and instructions how to do it took me couple of hours being carefull but the information was great and led me straight to the problem seems very common, and quite serious ford should recall there focus cars and fix this properly as its a design fault I'm going to see what they say its bad enough to flood your car completely if you don't catch it in time. Let me know how you get on I'm sure my advise would be to check out the vents all the best

• Like 1

Baskets (gaskets) silly auto correct again.,😊 side

Here's the link wez sent me can explain it a lit better than me 😊

thanks buddy....ive managed to dry car out so far as it was the bootliner getting soaked and was touching my seats thats why my seats were getting wet..and bootliner was getting wet because of the boot seals.....the car has just thrown a few more problems at me at the moment...as im losing coolant somehow and the temp gauge needle never gets past a quarter of the way..so im starting at the thermostat first then looking for leaks....

ive only just managed to reply back as i got signed out of this site somehow and had problems trying to sign bk in

• 5 years later...

I have a 2011 Focus Hatchback. Noticed damp area under rear seats. Is it a leak or condensation? 

9 minutes ago, KEVIN WINCH said:

I have a 2011 Focus Hatchback. Noticed damp area under rear seats. Is it a leak or condensation? 

You'll have to do some more investigation.  But chances are it's the boot vents leaking.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club