Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance Claim After Accident

Thomas Erikson

Hi Guys.

First post as I have had no reason to use the forums in the past - my Focus has been a gem for the past 5 years with nothing more than regular maintenance required. However I am now looking for some advice from the community following a low speed bump last night.

Thankfully no other vehicles were involved and nobody was hurt. I was doing a maximum of 20mph when I lost control in the snow (the section of road I was using was ungritted) and I collided with a small wall (again no damage to the wall so no need to worry about that).

The bumper definitely needs replaced as does the front grill. The bumper had some prior rusting from where it was chipped - but it now bent at the very front - I am unable to open the hood to take a look as the key locking mechanism appears to have dislodged itself. The drivers side headlight is smashed in at the rear as well.

Internally there appears to be quite a bit of damage - the radiator has been damage when the metal bar in front of it was dented and pushed backward. I noticed some liquid pouring out last night from the bottom - pretty certain its oil due to the colour and texture - plus my driveway is like a rainbow this morning.

I have attached a few pictures of the damage - just wanting to see what you guys think the insurance company are going to say - car is a 57 plate with 85k on the clock so I know its value is limited. They are collecting the car on Monday and hopefully arranging a courtesy car in the meantime.

Thanks Guys.

post-71285-0-45946400-1453025639_thumb.j

post-71285-0-90226100-1453025684_thumb.j

post-71285-0-65865000-1453025731_thumb.j

post-71285-0-26526900-1453025778_thumb.j

post-71285-0-55462600-1453025825_thumb.j

post-71285-0-59488600-1453025872_thumb.j

post-71285-0-46616500-1453025935_thumb.j

Not sure what engine you have, but if it is oil then it might just be a dislodged oil filter (1.8 petrol is tucked behind the radiator)

Certainly appears repairable - but they might write it off - but only as CAT D or C at a guess (if you so desire, you can buy it back and fix 'er up yourself)

Not sure what engine you have, but if it is oil then it might just be a dislodged oil filter (1.8 petrol is tucked behind the radiator)

Certainly appears repairable - but they might write it off - but only as CAT D or C at a guess (if you so desire, you can buy it back and fix 'er up yourself)

Hi Sean.

Thanks for the response - I have the 1.6 petrol (2007) model.

It does appear to be repairable (not that I really have extensive knowledge of car repairs) but I wasnt too sure if the low value of the vehicle might immediately make it beyond economic repair based on the parts damaged. (more whats damaged behind the bumper rather than the actual bumper/headlights and bonnet).

Cheers

Just been advised that I have some leakage on the driveway at home now (much to the kids delight that we have a rainbow outside the door). I haven't been able to identify exactly what/where the leak is coming from but my wife sent me this picture for confirmation.

Having never made an insurance claim before should I make sure that the insurance company is aware that it has a leak or will their inspection be comprehensive enough to cover this? Just don't want to repair cosmetically and then I have engine problems.

Thanks again

post-71285-0-79744900-1453117117_thumb.j

That's oil or fuel I'd say

Yes, advise them & get a full inspection as it's the hidden damage that can be the most expensive to repair

Thanks for the advice.

Insurance company are getting the car picked up tomorrow for inspection (using a company called copart for collection who have advised they shall collect, assess and value the car on behalf of AXA).

The girl on the phone from AXA advised that based on the information supplied they think it is probably beyond economic repair. I fear this may be true following a quick google search for CoPart who appear to be in the business of selling damaged vehicles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club