Do Not Sell My Personal Information

how often should i change the oil?

celticrsmith

i have just turned over 6k miles in my mk7 zetec s. how often should i be replacing the oil? if the miles end up being high, then i would want a comprehensive service history to back it up.

thanks in advance

rikky

i have just turned over 6k miles in my mk7 zetec s. how often should i be replacing the oil? if the miles end up being high, then i would want a comprehensive service history to back it up.

thanks in advance

rikky

Hi,

I believe that Ford recommend an oil change annually or at around 12,000 miles - whichever comes first.

However.....!

When I bought my first car 25 years ago (this was when cars had to be serviced twice a year) a mechanic friend advised me to change the oil every 6 months or every 3,000 miles - whichever came first. So that's what I've always done - my Mk7 Fiesta (1.6 Ti-VCT i.e. completely identical engine to yours) has just had its first oil change at nearly 6 months & 3,500 miles - local Ford approved service agent charged £29 which was very reasonable.

Would definitely recommend at least two oil changes per year - and having owned 5 cars over 25 years - keeping one of those for 9 years - before I bought the Fiesta, I'm pleased to say that I've never had any problems at all with engine wear.

Hope this is helpful!

i tend to agree with andy, there is no harm in changing the oil well before its due. i do mine every 6k so thats roughly every 4 months for me.

i do my oil myself so for 5 litres of 5w/30 fully synthetic oil and an oil filter it comes in at about £14

What kind of oil are you using? Ford recommends specification WSS-M2C913-B + SAE 5W-30 and ACEA A1/B1 or A3/B3 for 1,6 Ti-VCT. I have found just few of oils in store near to me to comply with these standards:

Castrol SLX Professional Longtec A5 5W-30 - complies with Ford WSS-M2C-913-A, WSS-M2C-913-B, WSS-M2C-913-C

Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 5W-30 - complies with Ford WSS-M2C-913-C

Shell Helix F 5W/30 - complies with Ford WSS-M2C913A and WSS-M2C913B

Ford Formula F 5W-30 - complies with FORD WSS-M2C913-A, FORD WSS-M2C913-B, FORD WSS-M2C913C

Which one will you recommend?

thanks guys. i did call the garage whom suggested i didnt really need to do it until 12500 or 12months, which ever came 1st. however, for the price of £30 or so, id rather get it done tbh.

the garage i bought my car from is a good hours drive away, yet theres a ford dealer in the same village as me, so if i took it there, would they a) stamp my book for me and B) affect my warranty?

id rather pop it in on my lunch hour than take half a day off work taking it to the original garage?

thanks guys. i did call the garage whom suggested i didnt really need to do it until 12500 or 12months, which ever came 1st. however, for the price of £30 or so, id rather get it done tbh.

the garage i bought my car from is a good hours drive away, yet theres a ford dealer in the same village as me, so if i took it there, would they a) stamp my book for me and B) affect my warranty?

id rather pop it in on my lunch hour than take half a day off work taking it to the original garage?

Hello again,

You can have your car serviced etc at any Ford dealer to keep within the terms of the warranty - you aren't tied to the dealer from which you bought the car for servicing & repairs.

Andy

Actually under European Law you can have your car serviced at any dealers and it won't affect the warranty.

The servicing agent does however have to use Ford parts and fluids (if not OEM then at least exactly on spec) and has to work to the Ford service schedule (by the letter).

Servicing restrictions were lifted in May 2004 by the Office of Fair Trading. By law, any repair carried out by trained personnel, using equipment fit for the task and following the manufacturer’s recommended repair procedures, cannot affect the warranty of the vehicle.

In a nutshell, you are free to take your car to an independent garage for its servicing and repairs provided these are carried out in line with the manufacturer’s guidelines.

What you won't get of course, is a FORD stamp in your logbook, but it shouldn't matter a monkey's!

Chris...

What you won't get of course, is a FORD stamp in your logbook, but it shouldn't matter a monkey's!

Chris...

Chris....

the garage in my village IS a ford garage. surely ill still get a ford dealership/franchise stamp?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club