Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gap Insurance

Roderick Pask

I am about to order my new Fiesta ( I know there is a new one on the way). The dealer will try to get me to buy Gap Insurance.I think it is a rip off - what do you think?

It is a rip off via the dealer, but I find it worth it from 3rd parties.

I got mine from ALA, there are others out there though.

I've not heard anything about the new Fiesta though?

I got mine through the dealer but negotiated the price down to £165.00 which I didn't think was too bad for 3 years.

Do buy GAP, dealers are overpriced unless like above you can haggle them down, most of it is commission for them.

Not sure if dealer do vehicle replacement gap or just return to invoice, RTI is only any good if you paid RRP for the car.

Yes, a new fiesta will be coming but not for a while, I'd say 18 months at least, so just buy one now.

My Ford dealer wanted around £300, got mine from easygap (loads of others out there)

£10000 3 years Vehicle replacement cover for £108.

Just shop around, I did.

I got free gap on my new car this time and I got £146 back on my last policy. I would get gap if it is a new car for peace of mind because there too many idiots out there

Check with your insurance company. Mine give you free gap cover for the first year, then you can pick up one online. Dealers use it as a way to make big profit, a bit like travel agents trying to sell you travel insurance with your holiday

I got gap with ALA. Not had to use it touch wood but think it was around £125 for 4 years for upto £10,000.... dealer wanted £300 and kept giving me the jargon of "we only get it for £268 so we cant drop the price. If people are selling it lower then it'll probably be a bad policy or one where they can easily wriggle out etc etc" Turned out after research the policy he was trying to sell was on that I wanted to avoid. (some policys can take ages to settle)

They can sell it cheaper because they sell a LOT more policies.

Too many additional markups on the dealer one and they will spin you any old rubbish to try and bump their figures.

They don't make a lot on the car, it is the extras and bolt-ons where they make the money.

• Like 1

I bought GAP but like others negotiated the price down. GAP is worth it imo or you're left with the gap in cost / insurance payout if the worst happens

I think its great if you can get it for a good price (IMO Not from a dealer) There are some where if your insurance pays out (and you agree) then you can't claim gap back (as the GAP insurer wants to be able to negotiate a fairer deal for them).

But there is one which I have where I believe its settled quicker and the GAP pays out quicker (So long as the insurer pays the glass's guide price).

(Somethig along the lines but ive forgotten the lingo!)

To be fair, mines 4 year and the car will be worth about 3k i guess (70k Ecoboost?) If it got written off the GAP would give me a further 7k...thats a bargain for £120!

Get it, but not from your dealer.

I compared quite a few and ended up going with Gap Insurance 123 - their price was good, customer feedback was very positive and their policy was clear and seemed very fair.

I paid £89 for 3 years, £10000 claim limit. Hopefully will never need it, but good to have it.

Check with your insurance company. Mine give you free gap cover for the first year, then you can pick up one online. Dealers use it as a way to make big profit, a bit like travel agents trying to sell you travel insurance with your holiday

I wouldn't rely on that, most gap policies on new car require it to be taken out within 105 days, using the insurers GAP might mean you can't get vehicle replacement GAP.

Some insurers will pay out in full if a car is written off in the first year ( is this what your insurers mean?) but depending on your policy they may not, AXA for example will only do this if the repair quote is 70% of the market value, it won't be as they screw their approved repairers down on prices, so will only pay out market value.

Do some research, read the terms and conditions, cheap doesn't necessarily mean the best.

http://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/guides/gap-insurance/

Hi,

Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel it can offer some customers a cost effective alternative. If you'd like any further information then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.