Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt Fail

aswinn111

Hi I have just got a 2009 ford mondeo 1.8 edge tdci ten weeks ago it has 83000 miles on the clock .

On Tuesday gone I was driving along when the car just died and would not start had it towed in to my local garage who have said the cam belt had gone .

I have only just got the car and it's on finance my problem is when I got it I phone and spoke to ford who told me that the cam belt change was 10 years or 125000 miles so as the car only has 83000 miles on it I thought I would have time to save the money to get the belts done not so lucky .

But if ford recommend 10 years or 125000 miles then is it possible that there could have been a fault with the belt and if so can I try and claim some thing back from ford as I am looking at a engine rebuilt cost of between £1000 and £1500 .

Try speaking with your finance company they may be able to negotiate something with the garage after all the car belongs to the finance company ... A friend of mine had a turbo blow on his 60 plate car which had purchased only 3 weeks ago and garage didn't want to know but he contacted finance company and they are helping get it sorted so it may be worth a go...... Good luck

• Like 2

I would agree with the above, definitely contact the finance company for advice. Also the car should still be covered by warranty if bought 10 weeks ago.

• Like 1

I got a 3 months warenty with it but only cover the first £500 of the repairs

I have spoken to finance company and because service history tally with mot history the only thing they would offer was to give an extra loan to pay for repairs which I refused so it's up to me to pay for it.

I have also spoken to ford and they wanted me to take it to a ford dealer to have it investigated at my expense which I just could not afford to do there prices are double if not treble what my local garage charge.

Thanks for the help think I will just have to cover it and not believe or trust in what ford recommend in the future.

I love the mondeo but think it will be the last ford I will ever buy.

• Like 1

sorry to hear of your wows really is poor judgement from ford saying not change belt till that mileage

Haynes manual recommend it done at lower mileage

I have also spoken to ford and they wanted me to take it to a ford dealer to have it investigated at my expense which I just could not afford to do there prices are double if not treble what my local garage charge.

Thanks for the help think I will just have to cover it and not believe or trust in what ford recommend in the future.

I love the mondeo but think it will be the last ford I will ever buy.

The problem is that the 125k life for the belt is quite a long one, and while engines operating normally may not threaten that, there are engine faults which can reduce the life of the belt.

I can completely understand what you say about it being your last Ford, and think that Ford should take more seriously the fact that they can p1ss off 'second owners' by their approach, and, if no one will be the second user of their cars, the second hand values will collapse. Not good for anyone.

• Like 1

I agree 125000 is a long life span but that's what ford recommend in all the data that I have looked at and it was confirmed over the phone when I spoke to ford.

I would never leave it that long but going of what ford recommend I was hoping to have a few months to save the money to get the belts done.

I love the mondeo and they are a nice car to drive but this has put me of fords .

I was at the garage yesterday that I am using to do the repairs and watched it being striped down and some of the parts that ford use when the build the cars are so cheep yet the can recommend life span of 125000 for a belt .

Before I got the mondeo I had a Vauxhall vectra estate it had 157000 miles on the clock when I bought it and it was on its original belt I had the belt changed 4 months after I got the car and the belt that came of it still looked like new could not work that one out.

I do believe car makers like ford should be held responsible when they put a recommend life span on a part then use cheap parts

What parts look cheap? I don't think you'll find many cars that have expensive looking engine parts.

My mate has a 58 plate 1.8 tdci Focus on 108k, been telling him to get the timing belt changed for a while but he says it's not due for replacement until 125k according to Ford!

Just back from the garage and it's the wet belt that has gone it ha sent snapped but all the teeth have been chewed of it only thing garage can put it down to is poor quality parts.its bent all the valves and the piston all thus damage just for poor quality belt.  

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Is the make of the belt visible ?

No not that I could see but it's the original  belt could not see much on it as it was covered in oil and crap

the question to ask is how did the oil get onto the belt? and to make sure it dose not happen in the future.

6 minutes ago, mintalkin said:

the question to ask is how did the oil get onto the belt? and to make sure it dose not happen in the future.

its designed to be in the oil

its not the belt thats failed for no reason, 

before you blame the belt or parts , do you know the service history of the car? and what oil has been used and any engine flushing?

• Like 1

Yes service it up to date an most of it by ford  which would make me think correct oil was used as last three services were done by ford.

i am sorry if people don't like it but definitely look like fords fault using cheap parts that are not up to the job but tharts the same as most car manufacturers these days what gets me is fords customer service to people that by second hand cars  it's a joke.

unless you buying a brand new car they look at you like crap 

The belt in oil on that engine is normally very reliable, 90%+ of belt failures are due to over aggressive engine flush which strips the protective layer off the belt over time then causing belt to snap.

It should be noted that belts fitted to the vast majority of all cars & other vehicles worldwide are made by just two manufacturers - Dayco & Gates, who supply practically all OEM belts to nearly all recognised car manufacturers & although of course there can be a bad batch of belts, to state that belts made by these manufacturers are '' cheap '' is not entirely factual i.m.o.

I'm suggesting this issue was primarily caused by something else & the belt was the secondary casualty

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aswinn111 said:

Yes service it up to date an most of it by ford  which would make me think correct oil was used as last three services were done by ford.

i am sorry if people don't like it but definitely look like fords fault using cheap parts that are not up to the job but tharts the same as most car manufacturers these days what gets me is fords customer service to people that by second hand cars  it's a joke.

unless you buying a brand new car they look at you like crap 

I don't think they are any different to any othe manufacturer when it comes to older vehicles, a lot depends on the dealership

• Like 1

The vehicle seller / trader is responsible to resolve the issue, it is sold with a fault, and therefore the cost is not yours to bear.

the 125k for the belt change isn't their recommended change, its that line that says, enough is enough, your now definitely on borrowed time.  Ford recommend changing it at half that, just to be safe, I just hit 83k and hopefully, weather permitting, it'll be done on Friday

I saw a guide to convert that lower wet belt in to a chain (which is what its supposed to be apparently) it was somewhere on you tube I think

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club