Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's Your Winter Mpg Loss?

Paramanic

Just wondering how much mpg are you all losing in the winter?

As we use more electrical devices in cars to heat us up before we go and cold engines Etc :)

At least 3 mpg so far I reckon.

But only had the car since End of Oct, so not got any summer figures to compare against.

• Like 1

For me it's hard to tell as I have mines remapped now lol

I've actually gained MPG +3 due to me not ragging it since winter started being a careful driver until it's safe enough to open up the throttle :D

• Like 1

Unsure - Getting around 35.5 mpg (which includes stop start traffic for 20 miles in the morning, and stop start traffic for 10 miles at night, mixed with 10 miles motorway).

Unsure if that'll go up in the summer but I have the AC on HOT each way for a good 15 minutes so I'm guessing ill be nearer to 40 in the summer!

I'm down 4/5 mpg at the minute.

Sent from the pub with a pint in the other hand.

I seem to be down by about 0,6L per 100KM, which is the measure here. So around 8-10%, I spend a lot of time in and out of traffic jams so the mpg l/100km is never anywhere near the claims. I will test it on the open road when the weather improves.

I'm currently sitting at 37mpg, in summer on the same route I got 42mpg.

For me in MPG terms it seems to be about 47 in summer and 42-43 now.

I've gained about 5... Could be because it's run-in now though :P

At the moment i get 46mpg not sure what it is in summer as only got this car beginning of december so I will see in summer should it go up?

This a spreadsheet of my fuel consumption for my 1.0 eco boost from mid August to mid Jan noticeable steady decline.

Blue is per fill up. Green is average over 5 fills and irons out peaks.

post-68809-0-79614300-1453319034_thumb.j

• Like 2

This a spreadsheet of my fuel consumption for my 1.0 eco boost from mid August to mid Jan noticeable steady decline.

Glad to see I'm not the only geek who keeps a spreadsheet...

Mine is down about 3MPG. Last fill up was a measly 29.5MPG, but I do do mostly short runs, so I know I never get the best out of the fuel consumption. I want better fuel economy, but if I was that bothered I wouldn't have bought a 1.6 petrol!

I've actually gained MPG +3 due to me not ragging it since winter started being a careful driver until it's safe enough to open up the throttle :D

Isn't that what ESP is for? Just mash your foot and it'll sort it out... :lol:

I also keep an MPG spreadsheet, have done since buying the car back in 2014. I'm currently at the worst ever MPG though, high 40s. Lost about 5 MPG over summer figures but there have been changes to the car (remap) and to the journeys I do so not a proper comparison. I still drive hard where possible in winter just as much as summer though, all about knowing limits and conditions, and having decent tyres! :)

I have been keeping track of my fuel usage with both Fuelly and FuelLog on my phone. Only thing is I haven't really driven my car more than 10 miles in the last 2 1/2 weeks since getting a VW caddy van for work (new job :D). I think I lost ~2-3mpg in my Zetec in 2014.

From prior cars I have had it seems to be about 10% taking into account the additional time in the morning for the engine to come up to temperature as well as the different fuel blend, I know my old Clio 1.5 DCi (80) dropped to around 73mpg in the winter.

down about 3mpg with mine, although I feel the the car runs better overall in winter with the colder air, feels a little more responsive once warmed up than usual.

On 1/20/2016 at 7:44 PM, BrainsCharlie said:

post-68809-0-79614300-1453319034_thumb.j

Nice traceability.

I am not sure what the temperature is the UK but here we were about -3 to -8c recently, when you add in windchill I was warned it would often feel like -15c. It's worth keeping in mind that tires also have an impact. I now have winter tires on (it's the law) and not only do they decrease ride quality but also worsen fuel consumption. It may be possible to offset some of the drop by driving in higher gears (so being more eco-friendly) as I read this also is advised when icy - so it has safety benefit as well.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club