Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ELM config help

wilto

7 hours ago, JW1982 said:

The VID-block is basically the firmware part which contains all configuration data. A non empty VID block means that the firmware you are trying to load already has a VID block included.

To activate Cruise Control you have to load a modified version (integrated speed control function activated) of your original VID block to the PCM. On some PCM types the VID block and the firmware file needs to be loaded into the PCM at the same time.

I expect your problems are caused by a corrupted VID block or a corrupted firmware file. reloading both the VID block and the firmware file should solve this.

80 minutes to read or write the PCM firmware seems very long to me. I use a modified ELM327 interface myself with the FTDI chipset. At a Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps reading or writing the firmware did never take me longer than 10 minutes.

Thanks for getting back to me Wilco, sorry for the ignorance, this is my first attempt at modifying a cars electronics's. How do go about putting the car back to "as it was" so I can start again. I have located the bin file with my chassis number on it, do I need to do something with that, or a different bin file, as there were a few there.

Some people are saying I don't need to do all the steps I've been doing, some are saying it takes about 5 mins to re program the PCM, is this right?

Once again thank you for your time I really appreciate it

P.S. Do you have a link for the best version of elmconfig, I've tried two different ones now 0.2.10 and 0.2.17 had problems with both, as you can see from mu thread, I think I've download it about  6 times already and can't remember what one it was.

I use 0.2.15, didn't realise there was an ever newer one at .17, might have to try that myself. :)

Would you like me to get a video of how I update the PCM in a matter of minutes or are you sorted now?  Of course it will be on a diesel and I don't know if petrol differs.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I use 0.2.15, didn't realise there was an ever newer one at .17, might have to try that myself. :)

Would you like me to get a video of how I update the PCM in a matter of minutes or are you sorted now?  Of course it will be on a diesel and I don't know if petrol differs.

Oh yes please Tom, that would be a great help to me, and other's, maybe even make a sticky, I'm in no rush as the car is running OK at the moment.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about are the two lights on my dash, since I failed on Sunday, the transmission light and the car skidding light, I think it might have something to do with altering page 3 of the HEC, I've read that page can sometimes cause problems, was trying to add eco mode and shift up light.

Is there somewhere I can choose what version of elmconfig to load, as ever website ive tried say "download the latest version". Thanks everyone, you've been brilliant so far.

I'll try and get a video next time I'm free. :)

Not sure what the transmission light is, unless yours is an auto?  The other is ESP, you want that one sorted really as the ESP may not work while the light is on.   Eco mode isn't available afaik, it didn't do anything on mine anyway lol.  Shift up light should be there as standard, red arrow when you get close to the redline...I see mine quite often haha.

Not sure if you can chose versions, I think they replace the older one with the newer one but could be wrong.

The eco mode needs the updated HEC, it works fine but only really tells you what you already know, too fast, long gear changes, hard braking  ;)

Hi all, tried the quick way to switch the cruise on this morning on PCM, I read the PCM on the information page, clicked on the configuration page, read PCM, saved to file, ticked integrated speed control, then clicked write to PCM, followed all screen prompts, it then started writing to PCM. Then an error message      " There is non-empty VID block found in the PCM module. To write a new VID-block PCM module must be reprogrammed first".  

Had this problem in the week and I ended up leaving my car dead as a dodo, mainly because I wasn't 100% sure what I was doing, I think I wiped the firmware off the PCM. Ended up downloading my PCM file from civils webpage, as every bin file I tried to load kept saying incompatible file.

Any way what are my next steps to get this working, as I don't won't to f***k the car up again, am really thinking of throwing the towel in at the moment. Thanks guys.IMG_20160131_121151422_HDR.thumb.jpg.cce

On 31/01/2016 at 0:35 PM, wilto said:

Hi all, tried the quick way to switch the cruise on this morning on PCM, I read the PCM on the information page, clicked on the configuration page, read PCM, saved to file, ticked integrated speed control, then clicked write to PCM, followed all screen prompts, it then started writing to PCM. Then an error message      " There is non-empty VID block found in the PCM module. To write a new VID-block PCM module must be reprogrammed first".  

Had this problem in the week and I ended up leaving my car dead as a dodo, mainly because I wasn't 100% sure what I was doing, I think I wiped the firmware off the PCM. Ended up downloading my PCM file from civils webpage, as every bin file I tried to load kept saying incompatible file.

Any way what are my next steps to get this working, as I don't won't to f***k the car up again, am really thinking of throwing the towel in at the moment. Thanks guys.IMG_20160131_121151422_HDR.thumb.jpg.cce

Sorry for the dodgy picture.

• 3 weeks later...

To improve the pictures do not try taking pictures with any form of camera, photographing a monitor screen or TV rarely works.

With a monitor just press and hold shift then press the PrtScr key.

Then open Paint and press the paste button. The resulting picture can then be manipulated and saved as a Jpeg file.

The pictures will be just as clear as your screen are.

I hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi. I'm having a problem with the PCM. When I try to read firmware to bin, I'm getting the error shown on the image. Anyone know how to solve this? I'm using version 2.17c.

Thanks all in advance.

20170820_130641.jpg

These faults are usually caused by cheaper ELM327 clones that not fully match the ELM specifications.

Which type of ELM327 interface do you use? What chipset does it have and what speed (Baudrate) does it support?

Hi @JW1982. Thanks for responding.

I purchased one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shows up in Forscan as:

Interface:
Type: FTDI #1:AH05S68U, 500000 kbps
Adapter: ELM327 v1.4
Min.delay: 16 ms ( Good)
Errors: None

It looks like a genuine ELM to me, but happy to be convinced otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

As the warning message says there is a non empty VID-block found in the PCM module. If you want to change the VID-block (Configuration file) of the PCM you also have to reprogram the PCM software otherwise it is not possible to change the VID-block.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
Hi,
I bought an OBDLINK EX adapter. Unfortunately, the ELMCONFIG program does not start with it.
What might be the problem? The driver is installed. I attached the picture.
Thank you very much in advance!!
adamk4423

elmconfig-error.png

elmconfig-setup.png

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club