Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flip Key Fob covnersion

Eddieboi

Hi all,

So after almost breaking my car key at work last night I decided it's time to get a flip key to replace my ugly current key fob lol

So I have two key sets for my car, so plan to use one for the key conversion.

So my understanding from doing my research on the forums is to buy a flip key fob conversion kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131696335102

A simple matter of carefully removing the bits from the old key fob to the new one.

Then getting a car locksmith place to cut a copy of the car key and everything should work?...well that's my understanding from what I have read.

Anything else I may of missed or should know? I know the key cut will probably cost between £10-£20

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Those keys are cheap and nasty beyond belief.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

agreed.

Best thing you can do is buy a ford flip key (used or new at your choice), get a new blade, and get it cut, then get the immobilizer chip done.

I did this conversion a while ago, got a complete second key done for about £20. I believe its in my guides, so click the link in my signature, and have a look.

Will do. Prob get this sorted when I next get paid.

I'll be using one of the two keys I've got as I got 2 keys when I brought the car.

Any suggestions where to get this flip key from?

So all I need to do is just transfer the bits in from one key to new fob and then get it cut and programmed etc?

6 hours ago, Eddieboi said:

Will do. Prob get this sorted when I next get paid.

I'll be using one of the two keys I've got as I got 2 keys when I brought the car.

Any suggestions where to get this flip key from?

So all I need to do is just transfer the bits in from one key to new fob and then get it cut and programmed etc?

I have done the Ford Flip Key conversion on my 2006 Ford Fiesta Freedom and programmed the new key myself, so I have a total of 3 keys; where I use the flip key on a daily basis.

I strongly would NOT recommend the flip key you have found on eBay. I first purchased that key housing to do the flip key conversion but the quality was awful and I could not live with it daily (thankfully I was able to return it and get a refund). What I would recommend is a Ford Flip key and would purchase this listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221429071883 If you provide images of your existing key or your tibble code, they will cut out the key for you; so you will received it ready-cut, then all you need to do is program the key and assign the remote central locking to your vehicle (both are simple). I can vouch for this key as I have purchased it, and I have no regrets whatsoever, ever.

If you purchase the listing above, you will NOT need to transfer anything over from any of your existing keys, so you can have a total of 3 keys if you desire (you can optionally move parts over to your flip key but I would only do so if you cannot program the key's transponder to the immobiliser of the car yourself).

With the Ford Fiesta Mark 6 (not sure of earlier models) you have the ability to program keys yourself, if you have two original Ford keys (i.e. you have two programmed keys, not cloned. You have stated you have two keys, I'm assuming their both originals from Ford when the vehicle was initially purchased from a dealer; if not, please reply and state so). However on newer Ford models, Ford have removed the ability to program keys yourself so that you are forced to go to a dealer; hence they can make more money; based on your profile, if your vehicle is a 2008 model, you may just have the ability to program keys yourself (or they could have removed the feature by then). There is only one way to find out and that is by trying to program the key.

Once you have received the key from eBay, try programming the key yourself. To do this, you will need both your keys. Follow the steps below, copied from my owner's manual:

"Complete each of the following steps within 10 seconds.

1. Insert the first key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.
  2. Turn the key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch.
  3. Insert the second key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.
  4. Turn the second key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch - the key coding mode is now activated.
  5. If an uncoded key is now inserted in the ignition switch and turned to position II within 20 seconds, this key is coded to the system.
  6. After the coding process is completed remove the key from the ignition switch.

If coding is not completed correctly, the indicator light flashes after the ignition is switched on with the newly coded key and the engine will not start."

Pay attention to step 5, this is where you insert your new key and it will then be assigned to the immobiliser of the vehicle. The above steps worked for me first time, if it didn't for you, then try one more time to be on the safe side. If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately it's safe to say that the programming feature has been removed from your vehicle as a result of being a newer model. In the case you cannot program your key, you may then move over ONLY the transponder chip from one of your existing keys to your new flip key. Once you move over the transponder into your new flip key, your old key will stop working and your new flip key will work and start the engine.

Now at this point that your flip key is working, you'll want to program the remote control features of the key. I think I've already written out enough, so I'll point you to a video which will demonstrate how to pair your key's remote features to your car. You can find the video here:

All the best and kindest regards.

• Like 1

Cheers for the advise very helpful!

And yeah both keys I have are original ford keys

• Like 1

All sorted.

Luckily the spare key had the key code on it.

So should have this new flip key tomorrow!

At least I don't have to worry about breaking the key lol

• Like 1

On 28 January 2016 at 4:23 AM, Obnoxious said:

I have done the Ford Flip Key conversion on my 2006 Ford Fiesta Freedom and programmed the new key myself, so I have a total of 3 keys; where I use the flip key on a daily basis.

I strongly would NOT recommend the flip key you have found on eBay. I first purchased that key housing to do the flip key conversion but the quality was awful and I could not live with it daily (thankfully I was able to return it and get a refund). What I would recommend is a Ford Flip key and would purchase this listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221429071883 If you provide images of your existing key or your tibble code, they will cut out the key for you; so you will received it ready-cut, then all you need to do is program the key and assign the remote central locking to your vehicle (both are simple). I can vouch for this key as I have purchased it, and I have no regrets whatsoever, ever.

If you purchase the listing above, you will NOT need to transfer anything over from any of your existing keys, so you can have a total of 3 keys if you desire (you can optionally move parts over to your flip key but I would only do so if you cannot program the key's transponder to the immobiliser of the car yourself).

With the Ford Fiesta Mark 6 (not sure of earlier models) you have the ability to program keys yourself, if you have two original Ford keys (i.e. you have two programmed keys, not cloned. You have stated you have two keys, I'm assuming their both originals from Ford when the vehicle was initially purchased from a dealer; if not, please reply and state so). However on newer Ford models, Ford have removed the ability to program keys yourself so that you are forced to go to a dealer; hence they can make more money; based on your profile, if your vehicle is a 2008 model, you may just have the ability to program keys yourself (or they could have removed the feature by then). There is only one way to find out and that is by trying to program the key.

Once you have received the key from eBay, try programming the key yourself. To do this, you will need both your keys. Follow the steps below, copied from my owner's manual:

"Complete each of the following steps within 10 seconds.

1. Insert the first key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.
  2. Turn the key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch.
  3. Insert the second key in the ignition switch and turn to position II.
  4. Turn the second key back to position 0 and remove from the ignition switch - the key coding mode is now activated.
  5. If an uncoded key is now inserted in the ignition switch and turned to position II within 20 seconds, this key is coded to the system.
  6. After the coding process is completed remove the key from the ignition switch.

If coding is not completed correctly, the indicator light flashes after the ignition is switched on with the newly coded key and the engine will not start."

Pay attention to step 5, this is where you insert your new key and it will then be assigned to the immobiliser of the vehicle. The above steps worked for me first time, if it didn't for you, then try one more time to be on the safe side. If it still doesn't work, then unfortunately it's safe to say that the programming feature has been removed from your vehicle as a result of being a newer model. In the case you cannot program your key, you may then move over ONLY the transponder chip from one of your existing keys to your new flip key. Once you move over the transponder into your new flip key, your old key will stop working and your new flip key will work and start the engine.

Now at this point that your flip key is working, you'll want to program the remote control features of the key. I think I've already written out enough, so I'll point you to a video which will demonstrate how to pair your key's remote features to your car. You can find the video here:

All the best and kindest regards.

Got the key this morning. 

Your advise and video helped very much. Was able to program the key no problem what so ever. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eddieboi said:

Got the key this morning. 

Your advise and video helped very much. Was able to program the key no problem what so ever. 

That's fabulous! Thank you for keeping us updated and it's great to hear you already had the tibble code. Not a problem at all, I'm glad it helped you and thank you for your update. :)

I'm sure you'll like the flip key better than your other keys, like I have haha. One thing to finish off your flip key (if you want to add the cherry on the top), is perhaps buy a Ford logo and attach it to the back of the key fob. (I did this with superglue since the logo's adhesive isn't strong.)

I'm glad you were able to program and pair the key without having to open any of your existing keys or having to pay someone else to program for you. Now that you have 3 keys, if you ever lose one you can always program another key yourself (you can use the flip key you made as one of the two keys to program as well; since it is programmed to your car, not cloned). If you only had two keys and lost one, you wouldn't be able to program another key yourself.

I'm glad it all worked out for you, and all the best! :)

• Like 2

Yeah this flip key is so much better both look wise and working wise.

Bit rediculous how much ford would of charged me to get a new key.

I had my car park on the main road opposite the petrol forecourt station I work in and was actually able to lock and unlock it from the till area considering the till area is like a good couple of metres away lol

Wouldn't be able to do that with the original keys for crap.

Yeah I noticed no ford logo so might get one just to finish it off!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club