Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Amazon Fire TV & NetGear Powerline 1200

Lenny

20160125_091857_zpspwsweo27_edit_1453713

Happy Birthday to me 🎂

Since switching to an unlimited Broadband provider at the beginning of this year; 

And having found out; Jeremy Clarkson, Hammond & May have new show coming exclusively amazon TV with five times the budget they had at the BBC 💰

20160128_203710_zpsbaxvx2fx.jpg

20160128_203640_zps5n1bag03.jpg

20160128_203655_zps1uwkoqzm.jpg

i decided id treat myself to an amazon Fire TV Box along with a NetGear 1200MBps wired LAN connection network which doesn't extend wifi signal or transmit wireless, no it's better than that; 😉 

sends data via the existing 240V copper power cables that provide power to sockets within the home, 

IMG_20160127_163558_zpsu62d6i7a.jpg

This saves routing an RJ45 Cat5, Cat6, or cat7 cable from the router to the TV or around the house.

Both the amazon Fire TV Box & stick have built in WiFi connection but i currently have 7 WIFi devices on the wireless network, and want to maximize streaming hence giving the Amazon Fire box it's own high speed channel on the wired LAN🎢

IMG_20160127_163604_zpssnbybcqi_edit_145

20160127_151751_zpscvlowrfl.jpg

20160127_151723_zpsmm4rahx0.jpg

20160127_151759_zpslxwpst8a.jpg

The beauty of the NetGear Powerline 1200 is each unit is both sender & reciever there both identical 

So if like me; you purchase two sets; 
This means you plug one in on the router and you then have three network sockets for around the home. 

Up to a total of 16 Powerline 1200 sockets can be connected on any one network. 

The adaptor also has a lock button enabling multiple networks to be created within the home.
By plugging in some adaptors and pressing the lock button, 
They will then ignore communication with any additional adaptors plugged in there after. 

The network speed within the home will be 1200MBps via copper power in sockets and RJ45 LAN, the only limiting factor will be the speed coming in to the router in the home.

I've recently discovered also that Cat5 cable is outdated😯 it's capable of transfer speeds between 100Mbs & 1000Mbs 

the new versions are Cat6 and Cat7, they still have exactly the same RJ45 connection and are fully backward compatable,

Difference is the cables are thicker core and better shielded capable of higher transfer speeds between devices, CAT6 is apparently good for between 1000MBps (1Gigabit) & 10000MBps

where Cat7 is designed specifically for 10000MBps (10 Gigabit) Networks  

I've measured up all locations and purchased specific length Cat6e cables from this supplier: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MAXBITT-ELECTRONICS?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 

Tidy little 0.5M Cat6e cable connecting Router to Poweline 1200 adaptor👍

no excess clutter.

Anyway all said; I'm interested to hear from people regarding the Amazon Fire TV Box or stick

aswell as create awarness of topgear crew still doing what they do best on an alternative channel with five times more money.

Thanks for reading👍

Amazon Fire TV Box:

Amazon Fire TV Stick:

https://youtu.be/3Dl3xoCKdVM

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeanW said:

Got the Stick & love it

Sweet, 

Only reason I bought the box version was for the RJ45 LAN connection on rear.

Amazon-Fire-TV_2015-3-e1442500689460-630

I see there are holders available to mount the box hidden at rear of TV thanks to the remote being bluetooth there's no need for box or stick to be on display :  http://www.amazon.com/TotalMount-Amazon-Remote-Holder-Bundle/dp/B00YW8B5UU 

41Mu52RR16L._SX342__zpssa5zpa59.jpg

Pehaps look into installing Kodi to this device?

All anyone one at works talks about is how good it is :tongue:

• Like 1

I have the stick and i see a lot :smile: Of things

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WAZ91 said:

Pehaps look into installing Kodi to this device?

All anyone one at works talks about is how good it is :tongue:

Bought mine with Kodi installed 👌

very stealth; 

Appears to be regular amazon Fire and works as it should then you hold down return key for 30 seconds then it's in Kodi mode 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yunii said:

How much did both of these cost ?

Yunii

The NetGear Powerline 1200 kit was €125 at Argos.ie link: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4393641/Trail/searchtext%3ENETGEAR.htm

here's a link to the NetGear Powerline kit on Argos UK: http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4393641/searchTerm/NETGEAR.htm 

The amazon Fire TV Box with  additional Kodi installed was €125 + €5 shipping via PayPal from reputable seller on Adverts.ie Link: http://www.adverts.ie/9631043 

well worth every penny spent mate, definitely 👍

• 9 months later...

Thought id revive this thread since the Grand Tour new TopGear has started this info may be of interest 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

amazon Prime has now become available in Ireland since 15th December, 

I've treated myself to one year subscription, so I can now watch every episode of "The GrandTour" almost one year after purchasing the amazon Fire HD box; I can now use it for the exact reason I initially invested in it for 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club