Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide to do Snorkel Delete

ZetecShearer1987

Hi all

Ive been reading on here about doing a snorkel delete on my focus and im very tempted to do it and also fit a k&n filter.

Is there a proper guide on here or can someone talk me through it.

Thanks

Pop the 4 plastic plugs out of the slam panel cover, pull up the side by the airbox. See the tube with all the holes, reach in and yank it out. Put the 4 plugs back in

Very simple and takes 5 mins

Manufacturers tend not to waste money on things that are not necessary. In this case it's probably there to prevent the engine drawing in hot air from around itself.

• Like 2

As above, its there to provide the engine with fresh, cold air

Without it your engine will suck in warm air and suffer from heatsoak

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Not on the Mk3 it isn't, its outside the engine bay and its sole job in to reduce intake noise slightly. It also restricts airflow
Removing it has NO effect in incoming air temperature or heat soak what so ever

Removing the baffle has been shown on a dyno to add 5HP alone on the US 2.0l petrol engine

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madmole said:

Not on the Mk3 it isn't, its outside the engine bay and its sole job in to reduce intake noise slightly. It also restricts airflow
Removing it has NO effect in incoming air temperature or heat soak what so ever

Removing the baffle has been shown on a dyno to add 5HP alone on the US 2.0l petrol engine

What's the easiest way of doing this and is it actually worth doing 

Without the snorkel the filter is going to pull in hot air on the mk3.

It will produce better performance on a dyno because the bonnet is up with air being blown at it.

If you want more air getting to your filter then get the ST airbox as that has a second inlet.

• Like 1

i removed the snorkel on my mk2.5 1.6 a couple of months ago and the difference in engine sound was noticably better , no issues with heat soak , stalling or fuel economy.

removal is as easy as taking off the upper engine bay panel cover , undo 2 screws , pull pipe away from front cross member , 10min job tops

• Like 1

How many more times, on the MK3 which this is about the Snorkel is OUTSIDE the engine bay. It has NO effect on heat soak at all. The ST has NO snorkel at all, ie the St has it already removed! Just reach under the black slam panel that covers the  gap between the radiator and the outside, at the top right you will see a tube with a load of holes drilled in it, grab it and remove it. that's it. Don't touch the stuff in the engine bay, that's not restrictive at all

You will get a slightly deeper induction noise. I doubt it makes any difference to performance, unless combined with a remap

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did the snorkel delete yesterday and ive noticed a little bit snappier performance especially low down the rev range and in 1st gear.

nothing major to report home about but i can defo feel a slight improvement

Can you take some pictures :-) please so that i can see what i need to remove :-) 

Jamie

3 minutes ago, james_60 said:

Can you take some pictures :-) please so that i can see what i need to remove :-) 

Jamie

Jamie it's really easy to do, unfortunately I'm working tonight until Wednesday which is the only time I can grab a picture as it's always dark :P

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Where the snorkel is it is separated by heat by the plastic trim shielding it from the engine bay. The snorkel keeps the noise level down in the intake. It already draws in colder air than in the bay. If you remove the snorkel all you have done was remove 2 extra 90 degree turns where the air rushing in is slowed and restricted. Removal will increase the air flow and draw in colder air and these two benefits will always outweigh the loss of some extra noise. The mpg and power gained with this mod and a freer breathing air filter will be worth it.

You do not have to thank me :) here is a video how to do it:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club