Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New alternator new battery and still has battery light but drives fun, any ideas?

fiestasilver

Hi,

I have a 1.4 Fiesta 2004 Mk 6.

About 2-3 moths ago the battery light came on, I took it to the local garage and was advised that it was a problem with an alternator so had that replaced. The battery light was still on when they gave the car back and I was suspicious but the mechanic showed me the alternator charging the battery etc and was satisfied that the car worked well enough, albeit with the battery light on.

About a month later, after leaving the car parked for about 10 days the battery was flat, so took it upon myself to invest in a new battery. Problem solved but battery light still on.

I have been driving the car a fair bit since then, couple of long distance trips, lots of night driving etc all with the battery light still on but the car seems fine. Have even left the car parked for 3 weeks and it started first time.

I do however want to get the light sorted so I can tell when there actually is a problem with the alternator and/or battery and concerned that it may not pass the dreaded MOT with this warning light on.

Would be grateful if anyone knows if this is a common problem with a simple solution, my searches on various sites hasn't come up with anything of much use.

Your help is much appreciated.

Did the garage fit a silver calcium battery? It's possible that the "smart charge" system has failed. this had been known to be caused by a corroded wire in the 3 pin connector coming out of the alternator

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Ginerflame, thanks for the quick reply.

The battery is an Oldham Advanced 063, cannot see whether or not silver calcium.

Would it be easy to change the 3 pin connector to rule this out? It looks like a simple job

• Like 1

Your battery is Silver calcium

It's usually a break in the wiring somewhere along, usually near the connector

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• 2 years later...

Hi fiestasilver did you find a fix for this fault? I have one doing the same thing

thanks

kyle 

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue. battery light is on, did go out for a day or 2 but came back on. Car starts and drives fine. Run tests with it at idle and with revs and its charging. Replaced the 3 pin connector today but that hasnt cured it. 

My lights also dim on and off whilst car is idling. Any other suggesstions or do i need a new alternator? 

• 8 months later...

Hi I'm having the same issue i have had 2 new alternators and replace the battery and still getting a battery light come on random When the battery light comes on my light dip  and the heated screens stop working 

I would be checking the main chassis earth lead. Remove it and clean the body earth point.

Measure the resistance between the engine block and the battery negative terminal, it should be less than 2 ohms.

Did you reset the battery monitor after the new alternators/battery were fitted ?

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi i have checked tge earth to chassis its all clean and no since had alternator the man fitted it and it was runing fine no light on dash he did not do reset anything as i no would he have hat to put a computer to reset stuff ?  Thanks for your fast reply 

I've no reason to think it won't if you follow the instructions exactly.

The worse that will happen is ..... nothing

Hello Dan,

you can reset the BMS using the software FORScan on a laptop.

Download the software FORScan (free) from here: https://forscan.org/download.html

Buy ELM327 lead from TunnelRat Electronics (£17.95): https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_with_switch_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2016 at 10:24 PM, fiestasilver said:

Hi there.

just checking with you. How did you sort this problem out. I having same issue after changing the battery and alternator. Could you please share your experience with me. 

your response would be appreciated 

regards. 

rohit 

Hi,

I have a 1.4 Fiesta 2004 Mk 6.

About 2-3 moths ago the battery light came on, I took it to the local garage and was advised that it was a problem with an alternator so had that replaced. The battery light was still on when they gave the car back and I was suspicious but the mechanic showed me the alternator charging the battery etc and was satisfied that the car worked well enough, albeit with the battery light on.

About a month later, after leaving the car parked for about 10 days the battery was flat, so took it upon myself to invest in a new battery. Problem solved but battery light still on.

I have been driving the car a fair bit since then, couple of long distance trips, lots of night driving etc all with the battery light still on but the car seems fine. Have even left the car parked for 3 weeks and it started first time.

I do however want to get the light sorted so I can tell when there actually is a problem with the alternator and/or battery and concerned that it may not pass the dreaded MOT with this warning light on.

Would be grateful if anyone knows if this is a common problem with a simple solution, my searches on various sites hasn't come up with anything of much use.

Your help is much appreciated.

Hello @Rohit kumar I don't think you will get an answer from Dan anytime soon, he has not been back since 19th November 2021.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club