Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear brake shoe sticking to brake drum after rain

Clem

Hi,

I own a 2003 Ford Focus 3 door. Its second hand and I have had it a year with no problems but now the rear wheel on the passenger side is getting stuck after damp or rain (even after 24 hours standing) and will not move without removing the wheel and whacking it with a mallet. My local garage has taken it apart and cleaned the drum, checked the brake shoes and cable and there is no leaking brake fluid. He cannot understand why it is happening as logically all components are fine which is really worrying as a mechanic is basically telling me he does not know. I realise that i am new here, but if any Ford Focus experts can tell me how I can fix this problem or point me in the right direction, that would be great. I have read suggestions regarding parking in gear with hand brake off but I would much rather find and fix the problem than do that. 

Clem

Used to happen on my fiesta mk6 and now I have a focus facelift it happens on one wheel only, I'm assuming it's the damp getting into the pad lining swelling it up making it stick so now I only use one click on the handbrake and leave it in gear in my driveway at night. So far I haven't found anything to cure it!

On 1/30/2016 at 1:26 PM, Russ said:

Used to happen on my fiesta mk6 and now I have a focus facelift it happens on one wheel only, I'm assuming it's the damp getting into the pad lining swelling it up making it stick so now I only use one click on the handbrake and leave it in gear in my driveway at night. So far I haven't found anything to cure it!

So if its not a rust thing and it is because if swelling, would new brake shoes solve this problem?

The only cure is to fit proper brakes (calipers & discs!!), shoes always stick on when water gets into the drum... 

A good clean out may help and possible a wash with a little petrol final wipe with kitchen roll. Check handbrake entry point. I used to put a smear of high melting grease on the metal to metal bits caring not to get any on drum or Shoe linings. Lightly sand inside of drum and remove lip with a fine file. Smear being the word.

Would fitting new brake shoes make any difference? The garage already took it apart and cleaned inside.

its likely surface rust and nothing more, this will bind the brake and the drum, or disk until its broken by force (moving the car)

• Like 1