Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V power nitro diesel?

Patrico777

Hi

I wanted to ask about the Shell v power nitro is it worth it tank it I am using it since I bought the car 1.6 tdci zetec s fiesta

Nope, unless you are running a high power diesel its not really worth it, to keep the injectors clean perhaps look at using something like diesel purge - are you after performance or engine cleaning?

Im not sure basically if it is good for anything I will continue using it , it is better rght ? 

There's no prof if so called super fuels are better or not. They only thing I've found is my fiesta st hates supermarket fuel. It runs better using Shell or bp but when I have run it on v-power or ultimate I've not noticed any difference in performance or economy. I run it on normal Shell and bp for 6months then v-power or ultimate for 6months when a mate said he really noticed an increase in performance and economy. I didn't notice a thing so stuck with the normal fuel I ran 2 tanks of supermarket fuel cause I had no choice at the time and it run like crap. 

Yeah I only use Shell also got their points card, I think I stick with th V Power Nitro only like 15p more 

2 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

Yeah I only use Shell also got their points card, I think I stick with th V Power Nitro only like 15p more 

Just use normal Shell absolutely no point in using the more expensive fuel as it won't make any difference.

1 hour ago, StevenST13 said:

There's no prof if so called super fuels are better or not. They only thing I've found is my fiesta st hates supermarket fuel. It runs better using shell or bp but when I have run it on v-power or ultimate I've not noticed any difference in performance or economy. I run it on normal shell and bp for 6months then v-power or ultimate for 6months when a mate said he really noticed an increase in performance and economy. I didn't notice a thing so stuck with the normal fuel I ran 2 tanks of supermarket fuel cause I had no choice at the time and it run like crap. 

I had to use supermarket fuel a few times in the past and my car ran like crap felt very sluggish took a few Shell tanks to get it going smoothly again.

Consequently, the decision really comes down to whether you are keen to save money now, or are prepared to pay out more per litre for a fuel you believe will protect your car and give you the best performance and value for money in the long term.  

From this website

If you believe people that say v-power etc is worth it then good luck.

In my last petrol fiesta, I used v-power very rarely. I didn't see any performance gains. I might try it in my current car, but I'm not in a rush...... I use Morrison's fuel, runs ok.

I notice no difference in efficiency or warm engine performance -- but I do notice the car being smoother at start using premium shell/bp.

I run mine on Shell regular diesel, it will keep the fuel system clean, just avoid the supermarket diesel, I think there is an additive which is basically the same as the V power stuff, I might also look to run some 2 stroke premix as well.

Edit: Its Ethlyl-Hexyl Nitrate (2-EHN), its a Cetane booster.

Regular diesel will keep your system clean and v power nitro ? Even better I will continue using v power nitro only like 2£ short on 20£ fill up not a problem for me

My understanding is that supermarket diesels generally have a higher proportion of bio diesel than branded fuel, I guess to allow them to sell it cheaper than their competitors and still keep their profit margins. So if your driving a modern diesel I'd stick to the branded fuel which will be kinder for your components.

As for v-power, I guess its a similar case to high octane petrol in as far as it will improve performance or MPG on some engines but won't make any noticeable difference to others.

Diesel treatment on older diesel engines is a must in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I use Tesco Momentum 99 in my ST and at only 5p per litre more than standard 95ron is reasonable value.

For a decent hot hatch it makes sense ( and yes I do notice a difference) .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

At best you will see marginally better MPG, but it probably won't justify the cost.

I only use Vpower in my ST, but never used it in any of my previous cars.

Cars have torque targets so if the fuel produces more bang, it will simply use less of it.

I have read before though, that the Focus ST needs at least super unleaded (97+) to reach its quoted 250PS figure.

But as others have said, may be worth it in more performance orientated engines, but otherwise stick to regular fuel - that's what I have always done.

• Like 1

Didn't 5th gear to a test on these fuels to see if you got better MPG. I understand that some engines are designed for higher octane fuel and some do not recommend an octane lower than 95. I keep getting supermarket fuel simply because its a lot cheaper than Shell etc (and sometimes get it from Costco).... with regards to the views on here I think I may end up getting Shell from now on since I do quite a lot of miles and will see if I notice and difference on MPG/Performance! 

I only use v power Shell nitro and I will stay with it when the engine gets hot car runs so good

I use the regular Shell diesel, not had an issue with it, I would only run the V power stuff if my car was mapped for it, when I had my RX7 I ran it on the 99RON petrol you used to be able to get at Tesco to reduce the possibility of detonation at higher boost levels.

If you are concerned about keeping the fuel system clean it is worth checking and changing the fuel filter and perhaps run some low level injector cleaner in each tank, will be using some neat diesel purge on my 1.4 TDCi soon as that does clear a lot of muck out the injectors lol.

Since using Shell / BP super diesel  since about 5 years ago, my problems with the DPF have disapeared on my Xtrail.  Our Fiesta fortunately is petrol.

I was told some years ago by a guy who worked for a very large engine development company that had to test all the fuels they used on their dynamometers, that he would never ever use supermarket fuels in his own car.

I have not noticed any difference in mpg / performance using them.  I tend to keep cars a long time, perhaps if you are changing cars more regularly it might not make so much sense to pay over the odds.

I found I got worse economy and no change in performance on BP Ultimate Diesel, didn't make a difference to DPF regens either.  The main difference between supermarket and brands is the additives, the basic fuel is all the same, I'm not sure of the exact differences with BP Ultimate but no better for me lol.

The main difference I notice using normal Sainsburys vs normal BP is smoke, seems to be a lot more smoke on the sainsburys stuff which will clog the DPF quicker if you have one.  No difference in performance or economy.

It IS worth using 'super' fuels on a performance petrol as it'll reduce knock meaning you can put more in and get a bigger bang out, but on a diesel I really can't see the point.  If you want to clean the diesel system through on an older car, use Morrisons fuel for a tank, it's full of veg (bio fuel) which will strip all the crap out of the tank and pipes...but then clog filters and injectors lol...

40 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I found I got worse economy and no change in performance on BP Ultimate Diesel, didn't make a difference to DPF regens either.  The main difference between supermarket and brands is the additives, the basic fuel is all the same, I'm not sure of the exact differences with BP Ultimate but no better for me lol.

The main difference I notice using normal Sainsburys vs normal BP is smoke, seems to be a lot more smoke on the sainsburys stuff which will clog the DPF quicker if you have one.  No difference in performance or economy.

It IS worth using 'super' fuels on a performance petrol as it'll reduce knock meaning you can put more in and get a bigger bang out, but on a diesel I really can't see the point.  If you want to clean the diesel system through on an older car, use Morrisons fuel for a tank, it's full of veg (bio fuel) which will strip all the crap out of the tank and pipes...but then clog filters and injectors lol...

Up to 7% biofuel content in UK diesel is the current EU law i.i.r.c. & it's the bio content that is allegedly clogging diesel fuel filters in the winter  . . . :wacko:

Yep, I did exaggerate slightly with 'full of' lol, but Morrisons use the maximum allowable.  Filters clogging is annoying, but far cheaper than injectors clogging which I've seen a few times on Morrisons fuel! :(

If you're running a turbo high performance car i.e. an ST of either the petrol or diesel variants, then the 99RON or premium diesel's are worth it. In the petrol's it's 99 octane vs. 95 octane; it will make a difference. There's a reason that engines are tuned to a specific octane value when you go for a custom remap and it's because it does make a difference. The ECU will get used to which fuel it is being supplied with over a couple of tanks and then run accordingly. However the difference in non-performance cars is that small it is not worth using.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club