Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some minor issues, opinions wanted

Jazman23

I bought a Brand new fiesta zetec in october 2015 and I've got a few niggles with it and its booked in with my local dealer on Monday to be looked into and I'm wanting to get peoples opinions on what to do as I suspect I may be fobbed off when they take it in.

Car is an Ecoboost 3dr 100ps

Heated door mirrors - The left door mirror seems to heat up and clear mist much quick than the right one does, it takes up to twice as long to clear the right one each time. This didn't happen with my Mk7 2009 fiesta, everything was equal - Ford dealer has told me that they probably wont be able to reproduce the problem so it'll be hard for me to prove it realistically even though i have pictures

Glove box light - Light in the glove box does not switch off when it is closed, it is on permanently. - Ford Dealer said to me "maybe this is normal on the fiesta's and maybe the glove box light is supposed to be permanently on if it's not draining the battery" But it doesn't even go off when the car is locked and why would there be a push switch in there that turns it off as if the glove box is supposed to press it when closed?? they also asked me how I know that it's not going off...

Reverse gear issue - I've had an issue with reverse gear which i asked about in a seperate post, basically there is a metal rubbing noise and low pitched hum when reversing which happens intermittently but happens all the time when reversing on a slope, even when reversing into a gently sloped parking space - Ford dealer told me that the car will struggle when reversing up especially on slopes so its probably going to be hard to prove anything  - Again i struggle with this response because the car feels like it's going to stall when it happens like the gears aren't engaging properly, again my Mk7 2009 fiesta never had a problem reversing

Start up issues - At least once a week the car will take at least 5 - 10 seconds turning over before it will start on the 2nd attempt, rather then starting after a second or two. each time it happens it seems to take longer and afterwards is perfectly fine, Friday i drove to work in the morning, then at lunch time tried to start the car and it took 3 attempts. This according to ford is normal behaviour for the engine but i'm not convinced, it always starts when it happens but it is a worry. Do any ecoboost users have a similar behaviour when starting their cars?

Ford dealer has told me that they will want my car for at least 2 days to look into the issues I mentioned but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time, in my point of view these issues have been there since i bought the car, the heated wing mirror issues i didn't notice until the cold weather came along, the glove box light i also didn't notice until the darker days came along. The impression I get from my dealer is that they aren't going to find any problems when they take it for 2 days, or take my problems seriously as they were trying to joke with me most of the time.

Everything in my eyes should be covered under warranty. What options do I have if after the 2 days they turn around and say to me that they cannot find any problems and there's nothing they can do?? The engine starting thing is growing more annoying, as is the reverse gear issue but the other issues are more minor niggles rather then major problems, do I just live with them all?

Sorry for the wall of text

Reject the car unless they sort every issue

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

If you do not get satisfaction,ring Ford customer Services, you will find them very helpful and can access more departments at your garage than you can.

I would reject it if they can't fix your problems, I'm on my second my mk 7.5 never had any problems with them starting ,fire up instantly,could be to do with your glovebox light staying on , others on here have had this issue where the glove box has not been fixed in properly and doesn't close firmly. As for the humming or groaning sound reversing on a slope I've had this on previous fiestas from new . It's a problem with the clutch , it is annoying it's been happening for years they should have sorted this by now. Again lots of other members have this issue. Good luck at the dealership.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Can you take it to another dealer? 

Glovebox lid lid or the switch needs adjusting, the light should go out the dealer should know this as the fiesta isn't aware car, they will have loads in their car park to check.

it is possible that one mirror is colder than the other but, it should also be easy for their technician to compare the voltage going to the heated mirror and mirrors heating element resistance on both sides, 

starting can take longer in cold weather but not to the degree you say it does, they will need it the second day to start from cold. It isn't normal behaviour and they wouldn't accept it on their car so why should you

does the reverse noise happen all the time? If so they should hear it when they reverse, go on the test drive with the technician and point out the noise.

unfortunately unless they plug in and the computer tells them what the fault is,some seem to struggle to find a fault. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

Reject the car unless they sort every issue

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

I didn't think I'd be able to reject the car, I've had it since October 2015 and have driven 3500 miles, does that not matter?

18 hours ago, Titanium said:

If you do not get satisfaction,ring Ford customer Services, you will find them very helpful and can access more departments at your garage than you can.

Might be worth a try, I'll see how it goes :) thanks

9 hours ago, Big Keith said:

I would reject it if they can't fix your problems, I'm on my second my mk 7.5 never had any problems with them starting ,fire up instantly,could be to do with your glovebox light staying on , others on here have had this issue where the glove box has not been fixed in properly and doesn't close firmly. As for the humming or groaning sound reversing on a slope I've had this on previous fiestas from new . It's a problem with the clutch , it is annoying it's been happening for years they should have sorted this by now. Again lots of other members have this issue. Good luck at the dealership.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

The humming is intermittent when on level group but I can reproduce it near enough every time I'm on a slope. I guess its going to be down to a matter of opinion by the sounds of it.

8 hours ago, MarksST said:

Can you take it to another dealer? 

Glovebox lid lid or the switch needs adjusting, the light should go out the dealer should know this as the fiesta isn't aware car, they will have loads in their car park to check.

it is possible that one mirror is colder than the other but, it should also be easy for their technician to compare the voltage going to the heated mirror and mirrors heating element resistance on both sides, 

starting can take longer in cold weather but not to the degree you say it does, they will need it the second day to start from cold. It isn't normal behaviour and they wouldn't accept it on their car so why should you

does the reverse noise happen all the time? If so they should hear it when they reverse, go on the test drive with the technician and point out the noise.

unfortunately unless they plug in and the computer tells them what the fault is,some seem to struggle to find a fault. 

I was considering that, unfortunately all of my local dealers are part of the same franchise so I may have to take it some distance to find a different franchise dealer haha

The starting taking longer in cold I can understand completely, but in my case it's random, it could be 2 hours after its been driven or in the middle of the afternoon when it's warmer :(

Reverse noise doesn't happen all the time but I can reproduce it on slopes which is okay i suppose

Thanks for all your replies, i'll see how it goes with them over the next 2 days, they have been good enough to offer a courtesy car so hopefully it'll be another fiesta so I can at least compare the 2

I reverse up a slope for my driveway and don't get a humming, are you sure it's not the cars turbo? That sometimes stays on even after I've locked the car sometimes  

For starting too, mines like others starts on the button every time, I think it's your glove box issues causing your fault there tbh

14 hours ago, laumk7 said:

I reverse up a slope for my driveway and don't get a humming, are you sure it's not the cars turbo? That sometimes stays on even after I've locked the car sometimes  

For starting too, mines like others starts on the button every time, I think it's your glove box issues causing your fault there tbh

It's definitely not the turbo, its like a rubbing, as if it's not engaging gears properly and causes the engine to shake/struggle. I've shown it to them anyway this morning as managed to reproduce it.

I suspect you and others are probably spot on with the Starting issue caused by glove box light.

Car's with them now and I'm in a fiesta zetec courtesy car so I can compare

Mines a 64 plate, with now 9500 miles (was 6700 miles in December). It fires up first time, every time. Even when it was -7...like others, I suggest the glovebox is draining the power and thus it struggles on startup. However I would assume a light on 24/7 especially overnight would drain the battery completely. 

On 2/1/2016 at 9:39 AM, JSMarsden said:

Mines a 64 plate, with now 9500 miles (was 6700 miles in December). It fires up first time, every time. Even when it was -7...like others, I suggest the glovebox is draining the power and thus it struggles on startup. However I would assume a light on 24/7 especially overnight would drain the battery completely. 

I'm thinking the same thing now.

Courtesy car has none of the issues I've reported as far as I can tell, actually handles gear changes much more smoothly compared to mine and also I'm completely unable to reproduce the reversing issue :), its same model and age as mine and has done similar milage

So I got my car back from ford, pretty disappointed to be honest -

Glove Box Light - They replaced the Switch for the light as it didn't sit in place properly so thats all good, replaced under warranty

Heated Wing Mirrors - They tested voltage and temperature and they are within 1*c of each other which is acceptable. Told me left will clear quicker as the cars are designed with left hand drive in mind as is the case with most vehicles around the world (even though im right had drive)

Engine start issues - Could not reproduce, no faults reported, no over cranking reported. Basically said to keep an eye on it and that I have breakdown cover so I'll be fine

Reversing issue - Could not reproduce, no faults reported. Hinted that I may be under revving and not bringing the clutch up far enough, Didn't seem to care that I couldn't reproduce the issue in the courtesy car, which would support my claims that there is a problem. Annoyingly I then went out and reproduced the problem straight away when I was driving the car home...

Apparently their senior mechanic worked on my car so they trust his judgement, which I'm not arguing with but I still feel there is a problem. Not sure which step I'm going to take next

Dealers come out with some BS at times.

dont worry you've got breakdown, ffs!

So ford are going to go to the trouble of making different heating elements in wing mirror lenses for no reason what so ever, of course you only need one mirror to be clear before pulling away. The dealer is saying ford designed one to be slower than the other, they need to give their heads a wobble.

can you get a friend to reverse the car see if it happens for them?

id try a different dealer, or contact customer services and see if someone from technical can assist.

1 hour ago, MarksST said:

Dealers come out with some BS at times.

dont worry you've got breakdown, ffs!

So ford are going to go to the trouble of making different heating elements in wing mirror lenses for no reason what so ever, of course you only need one mirror to be clear before pulling away. The dealer is saying ford designed one to be slower than the other, they need to give their heads a wobble.

can you get a friend to reverse the car see if it happens for them?

id try a different dealer, or contact customer services and see if someone from technical can assist.

I'll definitely be contacting customer service. I've looked over my dash cam. They never tested the reversing issue. All they did was drive it to the flat part of the car park and put it into reverse 3 times, revving the engine riding the clutch. Didn't even move. They then drive it onto  ramp where it sits for 2 hours before being driven back to a parking bay. That was yesterday. The car has been sat in that same bay until I collected it today.

Quite annoyed now.

If anyone is wondering, this is Lookers Ford on York Road in Leeds, Formally Benfield Ford