Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Field mouse

jace1969

Any advice how to get rid of them,had them 12 months ago and solved the one section,think its under floor boards so up they come again.

Tried that cheap red paste like poison but they just keep eating it over months and nothing,found the Dropping in one area like black rice and they say

that's close to where they stay,its in where the boiler tank is upstairs as the floorboards are loose so you have access to some pipe work so im trying

them plastic traps and something sweet like chocolate to attract them to the trap,i know cheese is the obvious choice but been told very sweet stuff,

get a cat and you'll never have a mouse in the house!

You want sticky traps and the old style snap ones, Niece had mice and the little beggars were soon cleared up.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I would if I wasn't allergic to them,there the worse as they give off something as just walking into an house i can tell,sneeze and eyes swell.

Dogs aint to bad as I have to touch a dog then rub my eyes or arm.

Boards up and cleaned all stuff out so now its white paper with traps and poison on it and check for dropping again.

33 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

You want sticky traps and the old style snap ones, Niece had mice and the little beggars were soon cleared up.

I did get one with them plastic ones but I have got a nice few of them old steel ones,lethal things.

So im going to try a piece of chocolate as its sweet.

Also what is the best seal for the gaps around the pipes,I have paper there now but I want that foam stuff that expands to seal or I will

just use strong gaffer tape but seal is better.

Must be 100% ok for around hot pipes.

Are you sure it's a field mouse and not a house mouse? Aren't field mice themselves protected? I'd play it careful before you lay down any traps / poison and call environmental health for advice it may be you need to bait it into a humane trap for release a few miles away

I did get one with them plastic ones but I have got a nice few of them old steel ones,lethal things.

So im going to try a piece of chocolate as its sweet.

Also what is the best seal for the gaps around the pipes,I have paper there now but I want that foam stuff that expands to seal or I will

just use strong gaffer tape but seal is better.

Must be 100% ok for around hot pipes.

Foil tape may be best, I wouldn't use expanding foam personally unless it is used in areas that don't get any hotter than 100 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well tried the traps what don't kill them and didn't work and you could be right it could be a house mouse,tell the truth

i aint got a clue,looked at pics online but hard to see the things close when a bit dark.

So small like just a bit bigger than your thumb.

At the moment I have tried the Humane ones,I have 3 like tilt things and one that's like a maze,you see them inside.

Council must of thrown the compo from 10ft away as gaps everywhere and dam floorboards is like a Jigsaw puzzle,they have cut it everywhere.

So far its the old Duct tape and paper as its been done before then its a floorboard and cut and do right then as some sort of seal to take hot pipes..

I think its up our local wicks on Monday see what wood i can get,would you put floorboards or a a square complete piece as its inside

a cupboard as only just over 2ft by 3ft then just cut pieces out so slots into pipes,sure there is some heat proof seal about as well.

Like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silicate-Cement-Flue-Seal-Silicone-1500-C-Fire-Proof-Sealant-Stove-Black-/161410447910?hash=item2594cffa26:g:z6EAAOSwEK9UBGQR

We have field mice in the garden and sometimes in the shed, hopefully the new door will stop this. They will do a lot of damage, my favourite rug for summer sunbathing, big hole, now binned. Apples one year lovely home grown Coxes, all gone. You can get humane traps where the little blighters get in for the nuts, sultanas, cheese, chocolate etc but cant get out. Take trap far away and let mouse go. Field mice come in for the Winter but are meant to bugger off in the spring.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Russ said:

Not strictly true, you'll never have a live mouse in the house, with a house cat.

Bunty brings me recently deceased mice, in varying states mangled, as presents:tongue:  Although at present, voles are her preference for gifting:laugh:

• Like 1

Expanded stainless steel mesh across gaps, and over airbricks, and vents, is supposed stop them coming in.

And bait wise, chocolate and peanut butter, for your traps.  The sticky traps work too.

Jack Russells are good in dispatching rats, I don't know if they would bother with mice, but if you've got a mate with one, you could borrow him/her and see.

18 minutes ago, GMX said:

Expanded stainless steel mesh across gaps, and over airbricks, and vents, is supposed stop them coming in.

And bait wise, chocolate and peanut butter, for your traps.  The sticky traps work too.

Jack Russells are good in dispatching rats, I don't know if they would bother with mice, but if you've got a mate with one, you could borrow him/her and see.

Had about 5 Jack Russells and there mad,they do get them as ours always got a few and there not scared of anything.

Going up wicks so will do boards with a new board cut into 2 to fill the ones in and a 3ft by 2ft wood board on top then ask what seal they have.

Aint they small things,set up a camera last time as they were just being to crafty so looked at what he did under the boards and crafty git.

Set me a tilt ramp up home made last time and got 2 of them so no return ramp so would go up then tilt back,to small of a place now.

54 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

Had about 5 Jack Russells and there mad,they do get them as ours always got a few....

If it's the same house it's possibly baby rats then, as rats and mice will never share with their space with each other

Source: Hubs cousin is in pest control / Google 

12 hours ago, laumk7 said:

If it's the same house it's possibly baby rats then, as rats and mice will never share with their space with each other

Source: Hubs cousin is in pest control / Google 

I hope your right as i don't want another family ii here,are these ultrasonic things anygood either the plug or battery.

had this issue not long ago. I had to track down where they came from, there were about 6 entry points into the house they were using...

I basically filled all the gaps, and repaired the walls, used expanding foam on all the gaps etc and they went away!

18 hours ago, jeebowhite said:

had this issue not long ago. I had to track down where they came from, there were about 6 entry points into the house they were using...

I basically filled all the gaps, and repaired the walls, used expanding foam on all the gaps etc and they went away!

Just fixed the floorboards with a new one cut up,sealed the holes up where the wires and pipes comes through the joist.

Hot pipes with the fire proof cement i got from Screw fix and put another board on top of the floorboards,only small cupboard

27'' by 32''. left a trap down there but it can get up to 5 and like a maze with plastic see through top so just pop up 1 board and look.

Living on the end house don't help things as we are by a large piece of grass then a road and a big field.

So far so good

I found under kitchen cupboards, there were little ramps under the skirting boards which had been dug out over time. I just chucked a tonne of expanding foam in and it did the trick for that one lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, colinben said:

Wire wool in all the holes you can find

Never thought of that,Fireproof as well,good to know but all sealed now with this fireproof cement as some round pipes,only small

ones but once i get going its non stop.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club