Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 TDCI chuffing noise ticking over

vinpetrol

Hi All 

my 2010 sport van with 1.6 tdci makes a chuffing noise it seems to disappear if I rev it up . I looked on the forum and I think it may be the injector seals can anyone confirm if I'm in the right direction and how difficult is it to sort? 

Funny thing is my 2006 transit 2.4 tdci has always made a similar noise too I never done anything with it and it's been fine. I'd rather sort it on the fiesta though

vin

Could be a leaky exhaust manifold, never heard of the 1.6 TDCi injector seals leaking. Not a difficult job with the right tools.

If I can figure out how to upload a video to the forum I will take one tomorrow night so the sound can be heard. 

Could it be a noisy pulley ? 

Copper seals, on the injectors can leak. Look for black carbon deposits round the injectors, had to have 2 replaced on my 2007,sportvan. Don't ignore it!!

Search for Mercedes black death.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sportvan said:

Copper seals, on the injectors can leak. Look for black carbon deposits round the injectors, had to have 2 replaced on my 2007,sportvan. Don't ignore it!!

Search for Mercedes black death.

Will check it out , was yours making the same type noise ?

vin

Take the airbox off and look at each of the injectors, if there are any that are dirty around them its going to be a copper seal, common on this engine, if you start the car you will know which one it is. You might only be able to hear the chuffing when idling, at higher RPMs you might not be able to hear it over the engine noise.

You will also smell diesel fumes in the car. That's how I discovered mine was leaking

• Like 1