Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Screen Smearing

frund

I have this problem with my fiesta 2014 other/partners car 2008 (goes like hell) has no problem. On the 2008 I use Fairy with cloth, wipers and screen rinse off, done get going.

My car not so easy have tried a few things but not Vinegar yet.

I read a post someone said Vinegar another suggested potato

I have come up with....a bag of chips..eat some use the rest on the screen. Should I use salt.......

Seriously is there something out there that really works, it would be handy to keep in the car as this prob is always bad at night.

You shouldn't use fairy liquid on your screen, as you've found out it smears. If you don't want to go out and buy cleaner use screenwash on a sponge then buff dry with a cotton duster

Best buy cleaner I've found is autoglym fast glass.

Don't use vinegar either it'll deteriorate your wipers 

I got some fast glass for Christmas, really impressed with it.

Always had problems with smeary glass before no matter what I used, good stuff.

You shouldn't use fairy liquid on your screen, as you've found out it smears. If you don't want to go out and buy cleaner use screenwash on a sponge then buff dry with a cotton duster

Best buy cleaner I've found is autoglym fast glass.

Don't use vinegar either it'll deteriorate your wipers 

Please don't use a sponge.. even on glass..

Use glass cleaner with newspaper

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

• Like 1

I have not heard of 'fast glass' before. I will be in Shrewsbury tomorrow so Halfords here I come. Real pain a night with oncoming traffic and narrow roads.

cheers for that.

With a good quality screenwash you shouldn't have any issues...  I always buy strong good quality stuff and have never had an issue.

• Like 1

I use Sonax APPLE screenwash with a splash of Kleen Freaks glass cleaner & sealant 👍

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Been to Halfords in Shrews got the Fast Glass £7.79 came home late, so tomorrow is glass cleaning. I notice my wipers, when I clean them, give off black stuff onto the cloth so I may change them also. Although they are not streaking which usually means a new set.

And finally. This morning sprayed it on a wiped it off... BINGO ...now very good. Tried it with the washers on no probs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, frund said:

Been to Halfords in Shrews got the Fast Glass £7.79 came home late, so tomorrow is glass cleaning. I notice my wipers, when I clean them, give off black stuff onto the cloth so I may change them also. Although they are not streaking which usually means a new set.

Black residue is perfectly normal and would happen even if the blades were only a few weeks old.  Just make sure you give them a good wipe and do so regularly so they don't start to smear/streak.

• Like 2

Using cheap screenwash won't help the smearing, won't help the health of the wipers either :)

Glad you found a product that works for you

Small story for you, last Ford Fair...

Screen was smearing for some reason, remembered I was behind a Larry st some point and realised it must have been the spray/dirt, tried spraying screen wash... Nothing just made it worse, so going past the Autoglym stand I decided to buy the 5 litre bottle of the pink screenwash, which I use, saves money in the long run!

DO NOT LEAVE THIS IN YOUR BOOT

I made this mistake... Car smelt like a chemical plant and looks like someone had wet themselves in the back of my car, it literally got everywhere. My eyes where stinging all the time and I got headaches , nobody wanted to get in my car. Even after getting it cleaned out it was still there and would just appear somewhere else.

About 4 litres of the stuff leaked out as the cap had become unturned and I forgot about it... 20 quid, kept my windscreen nice and the insides of my windows clean, but turned my car into a transportable bottle of bleach.

• Like 2

Is that already diluted for use?

If so.. £20 for 5 litres is mad..

Sonax Green is around £8 for over 25l and it smells like apples

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

I'll have to check but I don't think it is, whether it cost 20 either is another question, I bought a few other things from the stand while I was there, if it did cost 20 I've been done over

22 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality Detailing & Valeting supplies

I think I've seen that Autoglym screenwash, and it is concentrated.

I'd be careful with scented screenwash, my Dad just found out today that a mouse has attacked some of the insulation under his bonnet (and a wire going to the battery) - he's been using berry scented screenwash.

Our neighbour but one is a retired mechanic and has said the sweetness added to anti freeze and screenwash is attractive to mice.

The washer jets on my dads car are on the scuttle panel and the two areas attacked by the mice pretty much line up with these jets - he reckons the run off has soaked in to the insulation and then the mouse has eaten it :(

I'll personally be sticking to the chemical alcohol smelling regular blue stuff now.

• Like 1

I've not had any issues with it :)

Its wax/LSP safe, doesn't smear and cleans extrmely well. Extremely good value for money too

I mix in some Kleen freaks Glass cleaner & sealant too

Living by the sea I'm more worried about salt, crabs & seagulls than mice :)

autoglym  has a good reputation in car trade cant go far wrong using it

autoglym  has a good reputation in car trade cant go far wrong using it

Amongst the end user who doesn't have much exposure to other products id agree

I personally hate their products.

*SRP is full of optical fillers & silicones

*Their glass polish is dry and powdery and makes a mess everywhere

*Tar remover is weak and ineffective, takes too long to work

*trim restorers/tyre dressings are packed full of silicone

I gave up even trying their products after these, waste of money when I'm trying to run a business :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GingerFlame said:

I gave up even trying their products after these, waste of money when I'm trying to run a business :)

I'm betting you wouldn't hate or mind having Autoglym's turnover & profit margins though Kieran . . . :smile:

Good enough for the Queen's priceless collection of cars & good enough for me . . each to their own faves though.

• Like 2

I'm betting you wouldn't hate or mind having Autoglym's turnover & profit margins though Kieran . . . :smile:

Good enough for the Queen's priceless collection of cars & good enough for me . . each to their own faves though.

Would anybody say no to autoglym's turnover? Haha

I wouldn't say no to alot of companies I deal with.

3 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

They're quite fond of their silicones:sad: 

On the one occasion I used the tar remover, if it had been just weak and ineffective, that would have been something: but it didn't seem do anything. 

Aren't they though aimed at the amateur who pops into into Halfords to buy something on a Sunday morning to make the car shiny: rather than the serious detailer or professional valeter?

• Like 1

They're quite fond of their silicones:sad: 

On the one occasion I used the tar remover, if it had been just weak and ineffective, that would have been something: but it didn't seem do anything. 

Aren't they though aimed at the amateur who pops into into Halfords to buy something on a Sunday morning to make the car shiny: rather than the serious detailer or professional valeter?

In my opinion I'd say yes, they're products for the weekend warrior.. but obviously others would argue no, they're the best products around

Autoglym's 51 years of care car & detailing history is both interesting & illuminating - some would say they are the Godfather of detailing in the U.K. - certainly amongst the pioneers.

• Like 2

Autoglym's 51 years of care car & detailing history is both interesting & illuminating - some would say they are the Godfather of detailing in the U.K. - certainly amongst the pioneers.

They may have been in the beginning.. but at the same time, they haven't pushed the boat out or stretched their limits in years. They also posted a picture of their team using sponges and a single bucket on a considerably highly priced track car on their social media a few months ago..

I've more respect for Meguires. Over a 100 years old and still family owned. They began as furniture polisher makers and now look at them. They've smashed the US, UK and most countries across the globe

But anyway, back to the smearing windscreens :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club