Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta MK7 USB issue

Matt87

Hi Guys,

I started having issues with the female USB port below the gear stick, all of a sudden its stop recognising anything that's plugged in.

IMG_2079.thumb.jpeg.100bf3f3c31fc89fabfd

After looking into it a bit more I think the port has corroded inside, it has a bit of blue starting to appear.

IMG_7793.thumb.jpeg.6d1efe95353460d64ce2IMG_7475.thumb.jpeg.7d4282ff52d104685488

I've done a few searches on this forum and through google looking for possible solutions to fix this, if fiesta was a bit older the easiest way of solving this would have been as simple as attaching a USB clip on connection, would have cost me £6, sods lore the connection on mine is all sealed up and fords changed it.

Looking at this I think I have three options

1. Get it fixed by a ford dealer (a possibility of the whole wire loom needing replacing), my last resort due to possible cost
  2. Cut the wire and attach a new female adapter via a joining box or something to join the inner cables, or even solder them together costing around £10
  3. Somehow open up the original connector and solder in a new USB connection leaving the cable as it is and using the original USB casing costing costing between £5-£10

Regarding 2 ans 3 I know this is a possibility on general USB data cables, i just don't know if it would work? would the ford cables be any different, inner wires and colours etc..?

Other than the above does anyone know of an alternative method that I could try to get it working before taking it apart on the assumption that it may or may not be corroded?

Thanks for any advice  :thumbsup:

Matt

Cheers Rosso,

after unplugging the bluetooth box, I realised the ford adapter was a micro usb with a fancy clip, plugged in a spare cable I had lying around and it's worked like a charm.

Would you know how much the ford cable is? Tried my local ford dealer but the parts were closed so couldn't get anything out of them.

i'd rather get back under the gearstick, worst case I'll somehow retro fit one to the casing

On 2/8/2016 at 0:57 PM, Matt87 said:

Cheers Rosso,

after unplugging the Bluetooth box, I realised the ford adapter was a micro usb with a fancy clip, plugged in a spare cable I had lying around and it's worked like a charm.

Would you know how much the ford cable is? Tried my local ford dealer but the parts were closed so couldn't get anything out of them.

i'd rather get back under the gearstick, worst case I'll somehow retro fit one to the casing

Hi,

I believe the part number is 1692627, It's around £10 found this info in a german thread that you can find here

• 11 months later...

My wife has a 2014 Zetec, the USB stopped working suddenly one day.

i tried multiple devices and cables with no luck. Also rest the sync on the cars menu multiple times with no effect.

last thing I tried was disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes...... and problem solved :)

Next time I switched on the ignition the iPod connected and showed on the dashboard as it should.

just posting this incase it helps someone out :)