Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Change

Tom-B64

So my friends works at a Ford delearship near me and said he can change my oil and put a new oil filter in, and only charge me for the filter (£3.50), so I was quite keen on doing this as it costs barely anything.

However, my car was last serviced in September by a Ford dealership who I purchased it off.

My question is, is it worth it? I've driven about 3.5k miles since I bought the car in October, and will openly admit that I have driven it hard every now and then (private roads :wink:). I just thought of the sake of £3.50 it isn't a bad thing to do really? 

No , not really unless you have done more than 10k miles . You need to add the price of the oil too ! :P 

8 minutes ago, Spiros said:

No , not really unless you have done more than 10k miles . You need to add the price of the oil too ! :P 

As I said, he's only charging me for the filter! :tongue:

I'm surprised he can just write off 3 litres of oil for you!  I would have it done for that price tbh, oil change can't hurt can it!!

Mines been done at very short intervals due to DPF problems/changes, but being diesel it's still instantly black haha.

There was a mess up with an order that his work bought, so he bought a load of them! It's more of a favour for a favour thing haha!

And yea I can imagine so!

Ah I see, hope it's the right grade oil then!

Favour for a favour is a good way to get car stuff done, myself and a mate do car favours for each other, saved both of us money. :biggrin: 

at that price i would get it done :smile:

I change my oil (in any car) every 5,000 miles/6 months - going to 10k is absurd in my opinion.  If he can do it and will use quality oil, then I'd go for it.

I change my oil (in any car) every 5,000 miles/6 months - going to 10k is absurd in my opinion.  If he can do it and will use quality oil, then I'd go for it.

Alot of vehicles are 20k-30k intervals now

Do any Fords use longlife servicing?

It killed one of my PD Golfs. :(

Had 2 near identical ones, same engine, same mileage, 6 months difference reg but one on time and distance, the other on longlife.  Cam on T&D was fine, the one on longlife had worn half the lobes off and beaten up the lifters...I'd put it down to a lack of lube from old degraded oil myself!

6k is a bit excessive (imo) unless it's a fussy engine known for carbon and turbo problems (DV6 crap haha) but yearly or 10-12k has done me fine on anything normal and not so fussy. :smile:

Crikey!  I guess that is yearly for the salesmen in Mondeos and tradesmen in Transits though.  Have you had any problems with such long intervals or is it too soon to tell?

Too early to tell with mondeo, transits ive seen with 150k+ on 30k intervals no issues

The oil specification has changed for both models to cope with those intervals

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Alot of vehicles are 20k-30k intervals now

Absolutely ridiculous.  Take the zeros away and that's what I'd be comfortable with.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club