Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Inside tyre wear

sonic113

I have been having a bit of strange handling (especially on right hand corners) for a while now. Originally I though I have knocked wheel alignment out due to bad roads (pot holes ect) so a few months back (5 or 6) I got new tyres on front and got car aligned. Car Passed MOT 100% so I thought must just be me BUT After a while it still felt strange on  Handling so I let it go until after xmas and was looking over for it as this years mot is coming up.

I once again have got tyre wear on the inside of the drivers wheel (p/s is ok but looks like normal even wear). so I have to take another look at it but I think that the rear bush of the control arm has a little play in it (Thought this last year but MOT passed it ....) and maybe its worse under load (ie car traveling and taking corners). The Track rod end, Steering and ball joints all seem to be tight with no play.

So my question is should I change the whole arm or just the back bush of the front arm (If possible)?  and then planning on a new tyre and realignment.

any advice welcome, as I say all else seems tight so a bit baffled.

Thanks

Mine still wear uneven after tracking twice and two MOTs...  Outer edges wear as I take corners briskly, but the inner edge on the drivers side alone always wears more and I can't understand it!  Had it on my mates ramp poking around as well and nothing seems worn.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Mine still wear uneven after tracking twice and two MOTs...  Outer edges wear as I take corners briskly, but the inner edge on the drivers side alone always wears more and I can't understand it!  Had it on my mates ramp poking around as well and nothing seems worn.

Have you had any kind of wondering or unstable handling feeling through the steering or anything?

Yeah it does seem to wander a bit at speed, but I live on the coast and it's always windy so never sure if it's just that!  It holds B road corners absolutely fine, probably inspiring a bit too much confidence there sometimes, but just seems as if I'm always correcting it at straight line motorway speeds.

I've also got a terrible brake judder that wasn't cured with new front brakes or cleaning up the rears.  And what feels like an acceleration judder but could just be poor roads/wind.  But that hasn't got any worse since buying it back in 2014 either, very odd!

• Like 1

Have the whole arm fitted, check if both arms need doing also. And definitely have the alignment checked and adjusted to spec. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah it does seem to wander a bit at speed, but I live on the coast and it's always windy so never sure if it's just that!  It holds B road corners absolutely fine, probably inspiring a bit too much confidence there sometimes, but just seems as if I'm always correcting it at straight line motorway speeds.

I've also got a terrible brake judder that wasn't cured with new front brakes or cleaning up the rears.  And what feels like an acceleration judder but could just be poor roads/wind.  But that hasn't got any worse since buying it back in 2014 either, very odd!

Yeah mine is good on corners its just not as tight as it was when I got it but the tyre wear if a mystery.

42 minutes ago, iantt said:

Have the whole arm fitted, check if both arms need doing also. And definitely have the alignment checked and adjusted to spec. 

I think I may have to fit the drivers side arm and get alignment down. If passenger side seems fine I Will leave it until it needs replacement but I guess doing the whole arm is better than doing the back Bush.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club