Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil drain screw?!

Patrico777

Hi

just had my car on ramp for first time at my friends garage as he came from holiday I noticed oil leaking from the drain screw all of it was covered in oil there was a oil drop on it is well I should off take picture of it we cleaned it and I booked myself to ford on Thrusday hopefully it will not be a big problem and only screw and sealing around screw. 

I found this picture on GOOGLE it looks like this 

image.jpeg

If it was oil leaking from the oil drain plug it was most probably because the last owner didn't replace the plug and copper washer for a new one as recommended.

It would be cheaper for you to buy a new plug with washer , a can of oil and drained the oil, replaced the plug and then seen if it still leaked before booking it in to a Ford agent.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, karl46 said:

If it was oil leaking from the oil drain plug it was most probably because the last owner didn't replace the plug and copper washer for a new one as recommended.

It would be cheaper for you to buy a new plug with washer , a can of oil and drained the oil, replaced the plug and then seen if it still leaked before booking it in to a Ford agent.

I book it as I had full service in december so they should off change it no??? How much are those plugs ? And what is cooper washer ? 

31 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

I book it as I had full service in december so they should off change it no??? How much are those plugs ? And what is cooper washer ? 

The copper washer is what is used with the sump plug to form a seal...ideally replace  the washer as part of every oil change. can pick them up online or from any ford dealer for peanuts. Just get a few if you do your own servicing or if you give it to an local independent garage (I usually supply the oil and filters and just drop a washer in the oil filter box and he'll put the new washer on).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dave_k said:

The copper washer is what is used with the sump plug to form a seal...ideally replace  the washer as part of every oil change. can pick them up online or from any ford dealer for peanuts. Just get a few if you do your own servicing or if you give it to an local independent garage (I usually supply the oil and filters and just drop a washer in the oil filter box and he'll put the new washer on).

I will take it to ford on thursday and will see how it goes as they should change it I had full service in December car done only 38 k miles they changed the oil filter oil and checked the car over they said nothing wrong all good as you saying they should change that! I will point that out to them on thursday 

Yes, thats what you need, although Fords should supply a new sump plug when servicing.

Ford dealers should replace the washer but not the plug on your engine, wasn't the washer invoiced when service was done?

3 hours ago, iantt said:

Ford dealers should replace the washer but not the plug on your engine, wasn't the washer invoiced when service was done?

Ohh yeah there might be there said something like gasket I will check later today as came home from work now and let you no

15 hours ago, karl46 said:

I am not quite sure if its coming from the screw as the drip of oil was on the side on and all of it everywhere was covered in oil and the screw was tight It might be screw cooper washer or maybe sealing around the whole tank??

10 hours ago, karl46 said:

Yes, thats what you need, although Fords should supply a new sump plug when servicing.

I will check today for any leaks we cleaned it yestrday I will try and take photo today 

Here is picture of the repair paperwork there is gasket but not sure what gasket what for

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just checked the part number they have changed it ! Sk what it could be then !! It was looking like this 

picture from GOOGLE

image.jpeg

just checked today its the screw as you can see on video

Right I just came from Ford dealership spoken to manager they want 174£ to change sump plug sealing they said it has been tightened hard. When they take out screw  they said they damaged the hole because someone before tightened it hardly. I had full service in december and now I need to pat another 170£ because its leaking!

The problem will be is that although you have a receipt for the service which would show that the workshop serviced your car, which would make the over tightened plug their fault, they will say that when you saw the drip of oil, that it was you who over tightened the plug to seal it. Even more so if you tell the that you had your car on your mechanic mates lift.  They will try to wiggle out of any responsibilty and pass the buck if they can.

6 hours ago, karl46 said:

The problem will be is that although you have a receipt for the service which would show that the workshop serviced your car, which would make the over tightened plug their fault, they will say that when you saw the drip of oil, that it was you who over tightened the plug to seal it. Even more so if you tell the that you had your car on your mechanic mates lift.  They will try to wiggle out of any responsibilty and pass the buck if they can.

They are making me so angry just blaming it on other service etc etc but it was them who done why they did not say it in first place then when my car was serviced that the sum is damaged what can I do ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club