Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which DashCam?

Cookey09

Guys. I'm wanting a dashcam but I have no idea where to start. 

I want something that can hide behind the rear view mirror with no cables exposed. 

Something that will either record all of the time/when parked up. 

I'm not sure if it's possible to have one that records constantly, but I've read somewhere that there is something called parkmode?

I'd like to spend less than £150? 

Guys. Any advice? Suggestions? Links? 

Many thanks in advance. Cookey. 

3 hours ago, Cookey09 said:

Guys. I'm wanting a DashCam but I have no idea where to start. 

I want something that can hide behind the rear view mirror with no cables exposed. 

Something that will either record all of the time/when parked up. 

I'm not sure if it's possible to have one that records constantly, but I've read somewhere that there is something called parkmode?

I'd like to spend less than £150? 

Guys. Any advice? Suggestions? Links? 

Many thanks in advance. Cookey. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UUQD9L6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Thats the one I have

Very good Quality, Supports up to 32GB Micro SD card. Records sound. IT sticks to the windscreen so there's less of a reflecttion. Has an ultra wide angle lens. Also comes with a cable tidy that thats optional to use. With the cable tidy it makes it look like its part of the car and hides the cables. Especially when it sticks traight to the windscreen. Means theres no shakiness either as it doesn't rely on a suction cup mount that may be loose.

Films in 1080p HD or 720p HD. Can add number plate details. It also supports GPS (antenna needs to be bought seperately). I went through a few and this is the bast one I've ever used. Had an accident and the insurance company were impress with its quality. Hides perfectly behind the rear view mirror and is very hard to spot unless you know where to look. This is the capacitor version that doesn't have a battery but there is a battery version available

• Like 2

NextBase 402g it's what my husband has and I can't fault it...

..wanna used 302g? :wink::lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jazman23 said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UUQD9L6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Thats the one I have

Very good Quality, Supports up to 32GB Micro SD card. Records sound. IT sticks to the windscreen so there's less of a reflecttion. Has an ultra wide angle lens. Also comes with a cable tidy that thats optional to use. With the cable tidy it makes it look like its part of the car and hides the cables. Especially when it sticks traight to the windscreen. Means theres no shakiness either as it doesn't rely on a suction cup mount that may be loose.

Films in 1080p HD or 720p HD. Can add number plate details. It also supports GPS (antenna needs to be bought seperately). I went through a few and this is the bast one I've ever used. Had an accident and the insurance company were impress with its quality. Hides perfectly behind the rear view mirror and is very hard to spot unless you know where to look. This is the capacitor version that doesn't have a battery but there is a battery version available

Nice. Cheers I like the look of that.  Price is attractive too 😎 what does the cable hook up to? What's the purpose of the cable? 

2 hours ago, laumk7 said:

NextBase 402g it's what my husband has and I can't fault it...

..wanna used 302g? :wink::lol:

Mhm. Might have a look into that cheers. And thanks for the offer. But think I'm going to buy a new one due to personal preference of what I'm after 😊 

1 hour ago, karl46 said:

http://www.road-angel.co.uk/product/road-angel-halo

With hardwire kit, its on all the time, has standby, park mode, impact sensors.google mapping, gps, front and rear cameras, 1280p front. 1080p rear. Battery back up.

How would it be on all the time? I know I asked for that in my first post. But dash cams, I'm not in touch with hahaha😅 how does the "on all the time", standby and Parkmode all work together? If you get me?? Looks promising though. Cheers matey. 

Edit: never mind. I've read through the link that you sent me. It didn't load up earlier😅

5 hours ago, Cookey09 said:

Nice. Cheers I like the look of that.  Price is attractive too 😎 what does the cable hook up to? What's the purpose of the cable? 

What cable,you mean the power one.

8 hours ago, Jazman23 said:

Thats the one I have

I have the same as this just the model up from it but so hard to find,picture is spot on and at night.

Also no suction cup what you can see from outside,stuck mine on plastic mirror cover so from outside you cant see a lot.

I have got a nextbase 202 and I have got it hardwired into the fuse box they are really good cameras it also holds 32gb memory card .

13 hours ago, Cookey09 said:

The cable you get with it is a mini usb cable and it plugs into your 12v power socket and it's around 3/4M in length so plenty for cable routing. I went out an bought a standard 4M USB to Mini USB cable (Like if you wanted to plug it into a computer) as I have a USB Socket adapter for my car and it powers fine from that as well. If that makes sense? I'll grab some pictures of how it looks in my car if you like so you can get an idea.

One thing I'll note about it though, the version I linked is the capacitor version so it doesn't have a battery so it only powers on when you turn on the ignition. There is a battery version available though which is pretty much the same. Because mine is a capacitor version, certain features it has such as motion detection and perimeter detection do not work as they rely on battery. But thats the sacrifice i guess. Only advantage to capacitor version is it doesn't heat up as much.

It's also got collision detection so it automatically saves the clip it's recording into a Read Only folder if it detects a collision or loud bump / sharp turns that it considers unusual. This hasn't caused any issues for me and worked brilliantly in the collision I had. Camera has more than paid for itself from insurance point of view.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jazman23 said:

The cable you get with it is a mini usb cable and it plugs into your 12v power socket and it's around 3/4M in length so plenty for cable routing. I went out an bought a standard 4M USB to Mini USB cable (Like if you wanted to plug it into a computer) as I have a USB Socket adapter for my car and it powers fine from that as well. If that makes sense? I'll grab some pictures of how it looks in my car if you like so you can get an idea.

One thing I'll note about it though, the version I linked is the capacitor version so it doesn't have a battery so it only powers on when you turn on the ignition. There is a battery version available though which is pretty much the same. Because mine is a capacitor version, certain features it has such as motion detection and perimeter detection do not work as they rely on battery. But thats the sacrifice i guess. Only advantage to capacitor version is it doesn't heat up as much.

It's also got collision detection so it automatically saves the clip it's recording into a Read Only folder if it detects a collision or loud bump / sharp turns that it considers unusual. This hasn't caused any issues for me and worked brilliantly in the collision I had. Camera has more than paid for itself from insurance point of view.

ah right okay, I get you. all the cams you guys have suggested I've looked into and read upon. the one you have suggested is the basic. plug in 12v works when your driving. and very good features. the nextbase402 £100 more expensive.... pretty much does the same job. seems a bit more plush, if you will... not that it is a selling point though haha :P it can be hardwired. 

and then the road angel. seems to have it all. front, rear camera, battery back up. all the features. seems brilliant but £200... then add the extras that are needed... 

34 minutes ago, Cookey09 said:

ah right okay, I get you. all the cams you guys have suggested I've looked into and read upon. the one you have suggested is the basic. plug in 12v works when your driving. and very good features. the nextbase402 £100 more expensive.... pretty much does the same job. seems a bit more plush, if you will... not that it is a selling point though haha :P it can be hardwired. 

and then the road angel. seems to have it all. front, rear camera, battery back up. all the features. seems brilliant but £200... then add the extras that are needed... 

Depends what you're looking for a I guess. If hardwiring appeals to you as well as covering both the front and back. Another thing I like about mine is that it's fully black. No Silver ring around the lens or writing on the front of it, helps make it harder to spot.

My 12V socket powers off when I turn the ignition off so Mine's permanently plugged in via the USB adapter I have so I don't have to worry about unplugging it and plugging it back in like I did with my older fiesta so I don't worry about hard wiring. Like I said though it depends what you want. The road angel does seem appealing as long as its worth the money :) I got photos of mine if you want to see but I'm guessing you've already researched how they look in the car :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jazman23 said:

Depends what you're looking for a I guess. If hardwiring appeals to you as well as covering both the front and back. Another thing I like about mine is that it's fully black. No Silver ring around the lens or writing on the front of it, helps make it harder to spot.

My 12V socket powers off when I turn the ignition off so Mine's permanently plugged in via the USB adapter I have so I don't have to worry about unplugging it and plugging it back in like I did with my older fiesta so I don't worry about hard wiring. Like I said though it depends what you want. The road angel does seem appealing as long as its worth the money :) I got photos of mine if you want to see but I'm guessing you've already researched how they look in the car :D

Well, I would prefer not to hardwire, but the advantages of hardwiring as apposed to not. such as, recording while the car is switched off. not that this is a must. and yeah, sure, your photos i'd like to see. if it aint too much hassle? The thing is with me. i never do anything by halves... if I plan something, i'll not rest until its done. and if I know there is a way to improve something or know something is lacking. I have the NEED to sort/purchase it. 

if that makes sense? hahaha:P

When it comes to my car, I have OCD! things have to be perfect, now i know things dont work out that way, no matter what car you buy or however you treat it. But i'll not rest until its as near perfect as it can be. If something is bugging me about my car. I have to squash that bug :P hahaha! 

On 6 February 2016 at 8:28 PM, Jazman23 said:

Thats the one I have

Does it have motion detection setting? I plan on recording all the Tim to?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cookey09 said:

Well, I would prefer not to hardwire, but the advantages of hardwiring as apposed to not. such as, recording while the car is switched off. not that this is a must. and yeah, sure, your photos i'd like to see. if it aint too much hassle? The thing is with me. i never do anything by halves... if I plan something, i'll not rest until its done. and if I know there is a way to improve something or know something is lacking. I have the NEED to sort/purchase it. 

if that makes sense? hahaha:P

When it comes to my car, I have OCD! things have to be perfect, now i know things dont work out that way, no matter what car you buy or however you treat it. But i'll not rest until its as near perfect as it can be. If something is bugging me about my car. I have to squash that bug :P hahaha! 

Depends how you hardwire it i guess. It's worth noting by the way that the max memory card size my camera supports its 32GB (to be honest I haven't tried higher than that). 32GB gets you 4 to 4.5 Hours of footage at 1080p HD. If you get the battery model and motion or someone trying to get into your car is detected it'll turn on, record and switch off again. BUt Dash cam batteries only tend to have around 10-20mins of battery life in them anyway. 

I know what you mean about wanting stuff to be perfect with your car, I'm kind of the same when it comes to mine which is why minor issues with it when it's supposed to be brand new really bug me haha!

Images of my Dash cam are attached to this post for you, just shows how / where it's mounted. You can see a tiny bit of wire coming out but noting noticeable from outside or anything. The first image I held the phone higher than head height. When you're sat in the drivers seat normally it will not get in the way at all

2016-02-07 14.34.14.jpg

2016-02-07 14.34.22.jpg

2016-02-07 14.34.45.jpg

• Like 1

I had mine for the main reason is it don't stick out that much when looking in as these days they will break in

for anything to sell on,i have heard of a few being pinched and its going to be in 24/7.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I had mine for the main reason is it don't stick out that much when looking in as these days they will break in

for anything to sell on,i have heard of a few being pinched and its going to be in 24/7.

Yeah that was my worry when I first got a dash cam, I had a NextBase cam and it was quite obvious to see so I used to always take it out which eventually wears down the mount. The cam I have now is really hard to spot unless you know it's there really, blends in with the rear view mirror. Thing I like about the way mine is mounted is that they can't just snatch it in a rush, the mount is stuck to the windscreen with adhesive (which is hard to get off, I've tried in my old car) and you have to remove the cable tidy to be able to slide the camera it'self off so it's harder for them to steal if they are short for time

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jazman23 said:

Yeah that was my worry when I first got a dash cam, I had a NextBase cam and it was quite obvious to see so I used to always take it out which eventually wears down the mount. The cam I have now is really hard to spot unless you know it's there really, blends in with the rear view mirror. Thing I like about the way mine is mounted is that they can't just snatch it in a rush, the mount is stuck to the windscreen with adhesive (which is hard to get off, I've tried in my old car) and you have to remove the cable tidy to be able to slide the camera it'self off so it's harder for them to steal if they are short for time

You are spot on there,put mine on my plastic mirror cover so aint on the window,it does was its there for get good pics what i can see.

GPS aint a problem as i have a live tracker that i have online so its just for a picture,don't like big screens stuck there shouting out to be pinched.

Just my opinion as others don't look at that side but i do, the world we live in,anything on show these days tend to go,i looked at the mobius

one and still got the V2 and amazing picture and the setting you can do online is amazing but i tried this one first being a sticker not a sucker.

• Like 1

I have the G1WH-C. Very good for £45 and 1080p recording - Best video for a camera in and around £40-70 IMO. Ovbiously the more you spend after that, the better quality. Mine struggles a little watching it back in the dark (motorways with little lighting etc) but excellent in the day. Maybe I just need brighter headlights and it won't struggle so much.

Can't even tell much a of a difference on roads with my normal dipped beam on (where there are a few street lights). Only just about notice them on dark motorways! 

• Like 1

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer discounts for a wide range of approved in-car cameras.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Is there a list that you can provide?

My father is picking up a new car soon and his insurance will be up around the same time.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Is there a list that you can provide?

My father is picking up a new car soon and his insurance will be up around the same time.

I'm with Churchill, at the time I had my accident (July 2015) they were just starting to accept dash cam footage as evidence and were just phasing in dash cams so I don't think Churchill will be on the list

I suspect Adrian Flux will be on that list seeing as they posted about it in the first place haha

Everyone with the AUTO VOX... How sensitive is the motion detection? I want to have this on all the time but still store a decent amount of footage

ive got s very similar one just now but the problem is the motion detection is no where near sensitive enough. 

On 6 February 2016 at 8:28 PM, Jazman23 said:

Thats the one I have

What's the recording time like? Does this one have motion detection so it will only record when it sense movement??? Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club