Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which DashCam?

Cookey09

9 hours ago, M4RC said:

What's the recording time like? Does this one have motion detection so it will only record when it sense movement??? Cheers

See my post with the pictures. Explains it there for you

27 minutes ago, Jazman23 said:

See my post with the pictures. Explains it there for you

What features does your dash cam have. My iPad is playing up and won't open your link. Hahah😂

20 hours ago, Jazman23 said:

I'm with Churchill, at the time I had my accident (July 2015) they were just starting to accept dash cam footage as evidence and were just phasing in dash cams so I don't think Churchill will be on the list

I suspect Adrian Flux will be on that list seeing as they posted about it in the first place haha

I should have clarified my question, I meant is there a list of approved cameras rather than which insurance companies (though it would be good to know which insurers as well)?

I'd rather have an idea of which cameras insurers approve before buying one for my father's car.

On 8 February 2016 at 0:25 AM, Jazman23 said:

Depends how you hardwire it i guess. It's worth noting by the way that the max memory card size my camera supports its 32GB (to be honest I haven't tried higher than that). 32GB gets you 4 to 4.5 Hours of footage at 1080p HD. If you get the battery model and motion or someone trying to get into your car is detected it'll turn on, record and switch off again. BUt Dash cam batteries only tend to have around 10-20mins of battery life in them anyway. 

I know what you mean about wanting stuff to be perfect with your car, I'm kind of the same when it comes to mine which is why minor issues with it when it's supposed to be brand new really bug me haha!

Images of my Dash cam are attached to this post for you, just shows how / where it's mounted. You can see a tiny bit of wire coming out but noting noticeable from outside or anything. The first image I held the phone higher than head height. When you're sat in the drivers seat normally it will not get in the way at all

2016-02-07 14.34.14.jpg

2016-02-07 14.34.22.jpg

2016-02-07 14.34.45.jpg

So I could have it connected to power 24/7 and have it on the motion setting and it would only record when motion is detected. Do you know how sensitive the motion detection is? The one I have at the moment doesn't even detect someone walking by

50 minutes ago, M4RC said:

So I could have it connected to power 24/7 and have it on the motion setting and it would only record when motion is detected. Do you know how sensitive the motion detection is? The one I have at the moment doesn't even detect someone walking by

I dont know how sensitive it is as I don't have the battery version so that feature is useless But I think the sensitivity is adjustable, usually is with most dash cams. I think the way it may work is it detects if the camera moves, like if someone leans on your car, or someone parking up bumps it, the camera will detect that motion and switch on to record. In theory if it's got power 24/7 it should switch on when detected but I doubt it would switch itself off if it's got permanent power.

2 hours ago, Cookey09 said:

What features does your dash cam have. My iPad is playing up and won't open your link. Hahah😂

That's the post I was referring to, see how that goes, should be a link above this line. If not I'll just PM you the pics

This is the one i have http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2015/01/dash-cam-cdv300x-review.html

Its just a updated version but so hard to find these days,it does have the battery but if you don't do a lot of miles

the battery don't charge up a lot so it don't last a long time,i have tried it but turned it off later,GPS works great if

mine was on the window but i don't get a signal being on the plastic mirror cover,i rate it high for the price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jace1969 said:

This is the one i have http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2015/01/dash-cam-cdv300x-review.html

Its just a updated version but so hard to find these days,it does have the battery but if you don't do a lot of miles

the battery don't charge up a lot so it don't last a long time,i have tried it but turned it off later,GPS works great if

mine was on the window but i don't get a signal being on the plastic mirror cover,i rate it high for the price.

Seen the same cameras knocking around but different brands, you're definitely looks improved, i suspect the 5min battery life is because of all the features etc, its the same with the standard one. I like the GPS software, pretty cool. 

14 hours ago, Cookey09 said:

Google Techmoan - he also does some great reviews on dashcams. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jazman23 said:

I dont know how sensitive it is as I don't have the battery version so that feature is useless But I think the sensitivity is adjustable, usually is with most dash cams. I think the way it may work is it detects if the camera moves, like if someone leans on your car, or someone parking up bumps it, the camera will detect that motion and switch on to record. In theory if it's got power 24/7 it should switch on when detected but I doubt it would switch itself off if it's got permanent power.

Ah right that's totally useless then I thought it was the camera detecting movement in front of the camera rather than it moving itself

• Like 1

Back to square one again I guess, I'm looking for a camera that can record 24/7 and store at least 24 hours worth of footage 

• Like 2

If you want 24hrs of footage at 1080p you need about 8GB an hour, so thats 192 GB.

Just FYI too, if it is recording 24/7 the SD card won't last very long.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, M4RC said:

Back to square one again I guess, I'm looking for a camera that can record 24/7 and store at least 24 hours worth of footage 

How long does a go-pro record for? I know that isn't a dash cam but I know they record for quite a while. However a dashcam that can record 24 hours of footage at 1080p is a lot of data. The SD Card for 200gb to hold 24 hours of footage is around £70 alone, so the camera is going to be a lot lot more. It maybe worth just getting one with a sensitive G reader so if somebody bumpbs your car it will pick it up - it just wont pick up people Keying it etc. Then have CCTV on the house so that its covered 24/7 whilst its on the drive? 

• Like 1

There are loads out there and even a cheap weird name one from the other end of the world works good.

Look at mine,cost about £10 to make in Japan but works A1 even at night,would never pay stupid prices like £200.

I might of missed it somewhere reading on this topic but why 24/7 recording.

• Like 1

If you want 24hrs of footage at 1080p you need about 8GB an hour, so thats 192 GB.

Just FYI too, if it is recording 24/7 the SD card won't last very long.

Not really bothered about 1080p as long as the quality was good enough...

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

How long does a go-pro record for? I know that isn't a dash cam but I know they record for quite a while. However a dashcam that can record 24 hours of footage at 1080p is a lot of data. The SD Card for 200gb to hold 24 hours of footage is around £70 alone, so the camera is going to be a lot lot more. It maybe worth just getting one with a sensitive G reader so if somebody bumpbs your car it will pick it up - it just wont pick up people Keying it etc. Then have CCTV on the house so that its covered 24/7 whilst its on the drive? 

No idea.. Well I have 2 128gb micro sds at the moment for my dash cam so it's not an issue, the whole reason I want the dash cam is because my car got keyed and cctv is no good as I stay at my girlfriends and don't park close enough to the house..

There are loads out there and even a cheap weird name one from the other end of the world works good.

Look at mine,cost about £10 to make in Japan but works A1 even at night,would never pay stupid prices like £200.

I might of missed it somewhere reading on this topic but why 24/7 recording.

Yeah I'm on my 4th at the moment, I want it to record all the time so my car is covered at night

9 hours ago, M4RC said:

Yeah I'm on my 4th at the moment, I want it to record all the time so my car is covered at night

Cant you put a CCTV camera up even a cheap one,i use an old Micromark colour one going through old video with 240tape.

on LP (long play) cost me about £30 the lot,bit old but the end of the day it covers car and back yard for 12 hours.

16 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Cant you put a CCTV camera up even a cheap one,i use an old Micromark colour one going through old video with 240tape.

on LP (long play) cost me about £30 the lot,bit old but the end of the day it covers car and back yard for 12 hours.

CCTV isn't possible as my car is parked to far away and it's also my girlfriends house I stay at most of the time

• 3 weeks later...

Stuck between these four.... 

Huge price range...

Help! I cannot decide which is best. I'd like a front and rear. But I'm thinking if I can pick up an armrest like those in the Zetec S, the I could have two of the autovox's running. Front and rear. With there being an additional 12v port?

How easy is it to hardwire a dash cam? 

image.png

Wiring dashcam is a piece of cake. You'll need to pop out your glovebox to get access to the fusebox. You'll also probably need to drop the fluffy bottom of behind the glovebox to route wires into it. There's a couple of retaining plastic bolts under glovebox, just gently pull them out. 

Parts needed:

• Fuse tap (Add-A-Circuit)
  • Fuse (I used 20A)
  • Crimping tool
  • 12v socket
  • 12v to USB adapter
  • USB cable
  • Socket screwdriver

Optional parts:

• Ferrite core (for if dashcam causes radio interference) 
  • Hardwire kit (if you'd rather buy that than a crimping tool. I'd recommend doing it yourself though, learn more that way :) ) 

Steps

1. Crimp 12v socket to fuse tap
  2. Place dashcam where you want it to be. I have mine just behind rear view mirror and just on the edge of the swept area of rear windscreen.
  3. Run USB from dashcam around roof lining and down the door seal, nip across and under the glove box, into the area behind the glove box. Doing it that way round means you don't have a load of spare USB cable at the dashcam end hanging over your windscreen. 
  4. Plug in to USB adapter
  5. Connect earth wire to nut above to the right of fuse box. You'll need to loosen it with the screwdriver to get the wire underneath it, then tighten it. 
  6. Install fuse tap (I used the front wipers as I wanted ignition switched. If you don't want ignition switched, tap the normal cig lighter fuse instead)
  7. Test 

If you want to test if the connection is working before running the USB, you can get a small USB and plug your phone into the adapter. 

On another note -- I've been tempted to fit a third! dashcam to my car in the little window on the right of the dashboard (facing right) so I've got evidence of any decisions at roundabouts/junctions since front and rear cameras miss most of that. Has anyone fitted one there before -- if so, was it worth it? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jbell said:

Wiring dashcam is a piece of cake. You'll need to pop out your glovebox to get access to the fusebox. You'll also probably need to drop the fluffy bottom of behind the glovebox to route wires into it. There's a couple of retaining plastic bolts under glovebox, just gently pull them out. 

Parts needed:

• Fuse tap (Add-A-Circuit)
  • Fuse (I used 20A)
  • Crimping tool
  • 12v socket
  • 12v to USB adapter
  • USB cable
  • Socket screwdriver

Optional parts:

• Ferrite core (for if dashcam causes radio interference) 
  • Hardwire kit (if you'd rather buy that than a crimping tool. I'd recommend doing it yourself though, learn more that way :) ) 

Steps

1. Crimp 12v socket to fuse tap
  2. Place dashcam where you want it to be. I have mine just behind rear view mirror and just on the edge of the swept area of rear windscreen.
  3. Run USB from dashcam around roof lining and down the door seal, nip across and under the glove box, into the area behind the glove box. Doing it that way round means you don't have a load of spare USB cable at the dashcam end hanging over your windscreen. 
  4. Plug in to USB adapter
  5. Connect earth wire to nut above to the right of fuse box. You'll need to loosen it with the screwdriver to get the wire underneath it, then tighten it. 
  6. Install fuse tap (I used the front wipers as I wanted ignition switched. If you don't want ignition switched, tap the normal cig lighter fuse instead)
  7. Test 

If you want to test if the connection is working before running the USB, you can get a small USB and plug your phone into the adapter. 

On another note -- I've been tempted to fit a third! dashcam to my car in the little window on the right of the dashboard (facing right) so I've got evidence of any decisions at roundabouts/junctions since front and rear cameras miss most of that. Has anyone fitted one there before -- if so, was it worth it? 

Fantastic that buddy! Cheers! Just a case of which one/two now. Also, step 7. Install fuse tap? I can't get clarity of what you mean, differences. 

Appreciate the post mate! I'm curious to know if the two 12v sockets one near the gear stick and the other at the back of the handbrake can work simultaneously? 

I don't have the armrest yet, so I couldn't try it out? 

Whats the benefits of hardwiring as apposed to running the power from the 12v? 

50 minutes ago, Cookey09 said:

Fantastic that buddy! Cheers! Just a case of which one/two now. Also, step 7. Install fuse tap? I can't get clarity of what you mean, differences. 

Appreciate the post mate! I'm curious to know if the two 12v sockets one near the gear stick and the other at the back of the handbrake can work simultaneously? 

I don't have the armrest yet, so I couldn't try it out? 

Whats the benefits of hardwiring as apposed to running the power from the 12v? 

With a fuse tap, you replace a fuse in the fuse box with the fuse tap. The fuse tap holds two fuses -- one for the original circuit, and one for the new circuit which you're adding.

I've only got the one factory 12v (09 fiesta) so I'm not sure re: two factory 12v's though I imagine they both work simultaneously. Benefits of hardwiring is you can easily hide almost all of the cable rather than it reaching the visible 12v's, and also means your visible 12v's can be used for other things (e.g. charging phone). 

• Like 1

Ah right fair enough cheers mate! I thought that but can never be too careful 😉 Cheers mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys. 

I need to refresh my memory...

I'm wanting one or two DashCams. Stuck between the vox. Road Angel and nextbase. 

Im wanting the cams to record all the time or switch on while the car is left over night or when it is left unattended with no ignition power, in case of an event. Etc...

Im completely lost to be honest. Help? 

I appreciate the length and details you all went to before but I need refreshing. 

I understand I may need to Hardwire the cams to either the fuse box or battery? Which is better? By doing this would it supply my cams with constant power? 

Thanks. Cookey.

(If you guys can't make sense of what I've just said, I feel like sh*t at the moment but still NEED to get things done) 😂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club