Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus 1.6 tdci issues

Storm16

Hi all I have always had the focus 1.8 tdci but thinking moving to the 1.6 tdci but looked around and keep seeing turbo failure etc on these engines are they really that bad?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Storm16 said:

Hi all I have always had the focus 1.8 tdci but thinking moving to the 1.6 tdci but looked around and keep seeing turbo failure etc on these engines are they really that bad?

The problem is, even from new, the DV6TED4 engine had a inherent design fault which caused premature turbo failure & worse, so if you're really fortunate the previous owner ''fixed'' the issue with various mods & was OCD with servicing - or you're taking a huge & potentially expensive risk with this engine

• Like 1

The bigger issue with them nowadays is the DPF!! 

The turbo's aren't failing as often on them as they used to, there have been changes made to the oil lines etc, and a proper oil change procedure has been written which will be followed by dealers so finding one with dealer servicing is a good idea.

The DPF can be an issue - although not in itself . . .  it's the way the car is driven, or rather not driven, that can / will cause DPF issues & this is the case with any DPF equipped diesel engine.

Frequent, low mileage, low engine revolution trips will kill the DPF sooner rather than later - this kind of driving is not what DPF equipped diesel engines are built for.

See I believed that also until I bought one lol...  The additive DPF just does not work as it's intended.  I was doing over 10k a year and every journey was at least half an hour due to a rural location and it still wasn't enough for the DPF to work properly.  The mapping for the DPF is also shocking - it would start an active regen as I hit town traffic!  Plus the lack of DPF light on the Focus means the average driver won't know there's a problem until it's too late.

I believe the newer coated DPF's work better, at least the guys I know with much newer diesels don't seem to have as many problems, but I'm yet to try one myself.

By this age/mileage you'll also have a lot of DPFs that are full of ash and reaching the end of their lifespan, and the only legal way to rectify that now is to pay £800 to Ford for a new one...  The shape of the 1.6 DPF also means it's difficult to clean, unlike the 'straight piped' 2.0.

• Like 3

The early DPF's were '' basic '' to say the least - newer CDPF's seem to be far superior - BUT diesels still have to be driven '' correctly '' or the DPF / CDPF will still die prematurely

• Like 1

Yes

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yep, I completely agree, I now live in the 'suburbs' and with everything I 'need' being 5-15 mins drive away I wouldn't buy another DPF equipped diesel now.  But even for long journeys, I'd never buy another with an additive DPF - so to the OP, try and get a later one with a cDPF if you go for one. :smile:

• Like 2

Well I see re the dpf not a lover of them myself.

The 1.6 tdci turbo problems Is this just due to not having regular oil changes or does this stop the turbo issues?

Regular oil changes helps, but it's not the only reason.  Leaking injectors contribute to turbo failure.  And the oil line for the turbo runs by the DPF...it basically cooks the oil in there lol, the older ones also have a gauze filter in the oil line, this blocks up with carbon, stops oil getting to the turbo and that's the end of the turbo.  Due to the high amount of oil contamination in these engines it's imperative that the proper oil change sequence is followed so no old oil is left behind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Storm16 said:

Ermmm...yes

they really are not that bad, if you look at 2009 onwards you should get one with a ceramic DPF which is significantly better than the old one, but do keep in mind that any DPF, regardless of how its been driven will fill up, it will then have a wearing effect on the engine due to increased back pressure, it will reduce the efficiency of the turbo and can contribute to the turbo failing. 

The turbo wont be an issue if you change the oil every 6k, keep an eye on the injectors leaking, blank off the EGR valve and ideally install an oil catch can on the breather, if nothing else do the oil and EGR 

don't believe all the doom and gloom, the trick is finding a car that hasn't been neglected or been driven 10 miles a day for 6 years, ideally one post 2009, my 2008 car 'had' the old DPF and they had changed the oil feed pipe lines for the turbo by this point too so less chance of it cooking the oil off but I'm fairly sure post 2009 they sorted the DPF out as well..

She is a noisy engine tho, don't expect it to be quiet and there are some interesting design decisions, such as the oil filter placement, DPF removal, inlet manifold removal

• Like 1

mines an 06 one  bought it with 40,000 on the clock 

cut the dpf out & remapped it off. As well as egr 

Regarding the leaking injectors , their fairly obvious if this is occurring.

They get gunked up all around the injector tops near the rocker cover. 

They also make a horrid tapping sound when their leaking really bad.  ( I've done many seal replacements on 1.6 tdci fiestas ) 

The turbo failures occur when the leaking injector or injectors  have built up carbon deposits in the oil pickup pipe in the sump as well as the banjo bolts for the oil feed to the turbo, causing the turbo to be starved of oil. Turbo goes bang  

Before this problem was recognised, standard procedure was to replace the turbo . Couple of weeks later , new turbos starved & gone bang. 

Their really easy to sort out especially if you've got one that's only just started leaking  

injectir seal kit is about £40 genuine , make sure seats are very clean & torque them up properly.

the oil pick up can be replaced easily & cheaply , I've not had one in that's needed this replacing though I swapped mine on my focus for peice of mind.

the turbo oil pipes are really simple to do also & the banjo bolts are slightly different from the originals. 

One you've done all this , your good to go & keep up with regular oil changes.

I did all this on mind for peice of mind , only 1 injector seal started to go 

& it's fine to this day, currently on 84,000miles !

• Like 2

Same here, DPF, EGR are gone and regular oil changes are key.  Not done anything to the oil feed or turbo, and no sign of leaking injectors so far with 113k miles and running as it should, touch wood.  Thinking of getting a Terraclean sometime soon as I've heard good things about this.  I would admit though that if I had heard all the negative feedback about this engine when I was in the market for this car then i would have got something else, probably the 2.0 TDCi which I believe is also a PSA engine.

certainly I think there are "better" engines out there, the 1.8, the 2 tdci being two of them but you kinda have to give them some credit for the 1.6, its an extremely efficient engine, yeah it had some issues to start with but I think it s what the 3 or 4th revision of it now? an I doubt its any worse then any other engine and I doubt even the older versions if well looked after are any worse.  What they should have done is tell the dealers to inform the customers about how to use it and kick Brown in the balls for making a mess of the car tax system.   

I would just like to find out who designed it and shoot them, things like having to remove half the front of the car to take the sump off or remove the complete rear subframe to get to the fuel filler pipe and dismantle the fuel system / egr to get to the glow plugs , stupid stuff that someone should have sense checked long ago.

Even silly things like the clutch/brake reservoir hidden under the scuttle panel and having to take out the headlamp to check the power steering reservoir. It's bonkers!

39 minutes ago, mjt said:

Even silly things like the clutch/brake reservoir hidden under the scuttle panel and having to take out the headlamp to check the power steering reservoir. It's bonkers!

it is, but after swapping out a headlamp on my mums 06 Toyota Corolla it hit me that headlamp removal on the focus mk2.5 is possibly the easiest I have ever known.  On that Toyota you had to drop the whole front bumper or if that didn't work because of a poorly designed set of screws rusted solid, remove the wing! nope, when it comes to removing headlamps, ford did get that right! :)

• Like 1

Agreed, they did at least get that right. It's easy even compared to the Mk1 where there was a lower bolt behind the wheelarch liner.

There was a time when you could get to the back of the headlamp to change a bulb without having to take it off but I suppose it's easy to forget even longer ago when you had to take off a chrome surround then undo several screws to remove it to change a bulb (or the complete unit if it was a sealed-beam). That always disturbed the alignment so you then had to find a wall or garage door to set it up again. I'm showing my age now! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone I’ve just got a 2014 1.6tdci that has a psa engine. It’s got 97k on the clock and it looks immaculate in and out, 2 owners from new. It has a small oil leak on the top left which I’m not 2 sure what this part is called. I use the motorway everyday for work 50miles round trip. Are these engines really that bad for turbo problems? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 4:24 PM, James pritchard said:

Hi everyone I’ve just got a 2014 1.6tdci that has a psa engine. It’s got 97k on the clock and it looks immaculate in and out, 2 owners from new. It has a small oil leak on the top left which I’m not 2 sure what this part is called. I use the motorway everyday for work 50miles round trip. Are these engines really that bad for turbo problems? 

The MK3 Focus uses a revised 8 valve version of the engine that IS much better than it's 16 valve predecessor and generally if you make sure the oil is changed when it should be AND for the correct spec of oil, you'll probably not have any major problems.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that. Didn’t get notification to say you replied but I’ve got another issue with knocking when I get above a certain speed and changing gear, I’m thinking it’s my driver side driveshaft. I’ve done a video but won’t let me upload it 

• 1 year later...

Got a 65 plate focus 1.6 tdci only done 72 k.

and when going over 50 starts vibrating you can feel it comming up through the seats when you hit national speed. Any ideas

My 2011 mondeo 1.6 tdci was a ex taxi bought it with 170,000 now done just over 192,000 1 owner before me and full service history. Never had a turbo or dpf replaced. Has had dmf and clutch done at 106,000 and timing belt and water pump at 100,000 and 180,000. Look after them and they are not to bad a engine. 

2 hours ago, Heath77 said:

Got a 65 plate focus 1.6 tdci only done 72 k.

and when going over 50 starts vibrating you can feel it comming up through the seats when you hit national speed. Any ideas

Wheel balancing would be the first thought.  Has it suddenly started or have you only just bought the car?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club