Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real bad vibration

Gravyonmychin

Hello everyone, hoping for some help and this seemed the best place. I have a 51 Focus Estate with a 2.0 Zetec engine. She's been the best car I've ever had and only failed one mot in all the time I had her from new. She has 106k. Until this problem she's ran sweet as a nut. A year back she had the front subframe changed as it was holed. Still no problem. Running sweet. Then the vibration appeared some 8 months later, gradually from nothing to a vibration that is there from start up and is quite bad in that it can be felt through the pedals and steering wheel. We changed the dog bone between subframe and g/b, for a gen one, the old one was split and about had it but it made no difference. It's worse when cold but when the engine is nice and warmed after a fair few miles it seems to not be as bad or severe.. I've had her on the ramps. With the engine running if you put a hand on the engine or g/b anywhere you can feel it's vibrating, the whole lump. Put your hand on the dog bone or subframe...nothing, not a thing so it's within the engine g/b lump. Also, often when going from reverse to 1st, or sometimes pulling off I get a little clunk. I've had a right  butchers to ensure nothing is resting on or interfering and as said the vibration is within the lump of motor/gearbox. It does alter with revs and gears, there through all of them , worse in some obviously depending on road speed but only diminishes slightly when she's well warm as though the heat travels and eases the symptoms. Someone thought driveshafts but it's there on start up, always much worse in the cold and when in neutral and stationary on the drive. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I get a new Fiesta soon but the wife can have it as I still love this car and use it for the dog so would be a bit saddened if I had to let it go. Just been so good. Thank you in advance. If I'm in the wrong place so sorry as not used to using forums. Regards.Alan. 

If there's a clunk when switching gears, it could be one of the engine/exhaust mounts?

• Like 1

Thank you. A couple of guys suggested drive shafts but how would it be those if the engine /gearbox vibrate when it's simply sat on the drive and they are not rotating so I ruled those out,

Thank you. No it's definitely not misfiring. Though as stated, once it's wRmed up after  a while it seems to ease, not as bad...till morning and then it's bad again till its warmed up nicely. I went under it and placed my hand on the sump,gab and the whole lump basically and the vibration is strong. When I put my hand on the dogbone there's nothing and nothing on the subframe either, it's only within the engine gb lump.

Engine mount?

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Thank you. I'm get some genuine ones as I've been told after market sometimes don't last, expensive but worth it. 

13 hours ago, Gravyonmychin said:

Thank you. I'm get some genuine ones as I've been told after market sometimes don't last, expensive but worth it. 

i put an aftermarket dogbone mount in and my car had lots of vibrations. change back to genuine and its nice and smooth again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Changed both engine mounts for gen ones, about 90% gone, bit of vibration on acceleration in 1/2 gear , once going smooth as a baby's botty, anything else worth checking perhaps, just strange why it's just a bit vibration prone in first second. On Rickover it's silent and smooth. Thank you..

The gearbox mount, do we mean the one from the GBC to the subframe as this was changed for a new one prior to the engine mounts. Also noticed that when you lift off the gas and back on again in all gears there is a real noticeable ' clunk' that jolts the car, not nice, does this give away any clues. Really appreciate your help here, got rid of most of the vibration, thank you, just sort of needing to narrow down the last bit to get rid of the last of the vib and clunking. Regards.

maf sensor? If its dirty or fouled you'll get hunting causing vibration at 106k its probably never been looked at

Thank you. The engine does not hunt, she runs sweet and ticks over lovely,just a vibration, only slight since new engine mounts. My concerns now is the clunking when off and on on the throttle, GB ,driveshaft, clutch ? Regards.