Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting ST Recaro seats

motherwell23

Hi,

I am considering buying a set of Molten Orange Recaro seats from a 15 plate st to fit into my Red Edition Fiesta. Before making the purchase I wanted to check how easy it will be to do the swap. I am assuming the connectors will be the same for both seats and they should be a straight fit? Also would it be possible to keep the heated seat functionality?

Much Appreciated,

Stephen

1 hour ago, mikeyd1 said:

I would like to know this also

+1

So I'm not the only one planning this then haha, be good to know, can't see it being too difficult but then again they probably will...

Well I have bitten the bullet and ordered a set of Molten Orange Recaro's, should be here within the week. I'll provide updates with how I get on :) 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, motherwell23 said:

Well I have bitten the bullet and ordered a set of Molten Orange Recaro's, should be here within the week. I'll provide updates with how I get on :) 

Someone's taken the plunge! Did you get a decent deal on them? Best of luck:biggrin:

1 hour ago, chappers96 said:

Someone's taken the plunge! Did you get a decent deal on them? Best of luck:biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: £700 for them delivered to Glasgow. You could probably pick up the grey ones cheaper but the orange ones seem to be much rarer. I'm sure fitting them will be simple enough, I just wonder if there will be any way to wire up the heated seat functionality.

I'd imagine the seats will be a straight swap as far as bolting them in is          concerned. The heated seat will probably need additional parts like switches & relays to be bought. 

• Like 1

The heated seats have a switch under the heating control so you will need to buy those and probably a relay and fuses. Just hope the wiring loom is already in place

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

Where did you get them from?

I just contacted some ford breakers and found one that had what I wanted. Most have websites but they don't always list all of their stock. Occasionally some will pop up on eBay or gumtree but I waited over a month and never seen the Molten Orange ones that I wanted.

54 minutes ago, karl46 said:

Do you know what the switch connects into? I am assuming my model (Red edition) does not have the same wiring as the ST and therefore might not have the receiving plug or additional wiring needed to connect it. 

Hopefully the wiring will be there on the existing loom for the switch as I would imagine that one loom is used and then functionality added / removed from it depending on the car spec.

3 hours ago, motherwell23 said:

Do you know what the switch connects into? I am assuming my model (Red edition) does not have the same wiring as the ST and therefore might not have the receiving plug or additional wiring needed to connect it. 

When I ordered my Red edition I could have had heated seats, so more than likely (hopefully) the loom and receiving plug is there

• Like 1

In the past the loom may well have been in situ for different models and specs, but in todays modern cost cutting age I wouldn't bank on it. A loom which costs prehaps £20 to be put in every model and spec would soon add up to quite a outlay and would add to the cost of the car just when manufactorers are cutting everything to the bone.

If it is not present then you may find that there is a loom available to connect into the main loom. Maybe worth while to contact an eBay seller breaking  STs.

10 minutes ago, karl46 said:

In the past the loom may well have been in situ for different models and specs, but in todays modern cost cutting age I wouldn't bank on it. A loom which costs prehaps £20 to be put in every model and spec would soon add up to quite a outlay and would add to the cost of the car just when manufactorers are cutting everything to the bone.

If it is not present then you may find that there is a loom available to connect into the main loom. Maybe worth while to contact an ebay seller breaking  STs.

Thanks Karl, yeah I don't expect the additional loom and wiring to be present in the car seen as the heated seats are an optional extra on my model. I've contacted the ebayer you listed to seek parts & advice. 

Well guys I'm pleased to report I have the seats installed in my car now. The Recaro's are a simple straight swap from my existing Red Edition seats. There are 4 T50 Torx screws's on each of the front seats and a total of 6 on the rears, plus a slightly troublesome T60 bolt which keeps the seat belt holder attached to the car frame. I am still trying to work out if I will be able to connect the heated seat function if I were to buy the switch.

Any pictures mate? Sounds like a great project - the seats are one of the major selling points of the ST !

18 hours ago, mikeyd1 said:

Was the airbag connectors the same

Yep they are the exact same fuse set as in the normal mk7 seats. No issues at all with connectivity or wiring. I will try and get some pics uploaded tomorrow :biggrin:

• Like 1

Just a quick addition if i may, when swapping out your seats, do not turn your ignition on during seat removal and when the airbag plug is disconnected.  If you do it breaks the circuit and the airbag light on your clocks won't turn off after starting your engine.  It will need resetting by diagnostic at a garage.  People don't realise they need to move the car for some reason or another during, and thus turn ignition on!!!

Sounds nice Stephen, i'm currently offering my ST3 Recaro seats in grey as a swap or to sell and buy some red ones too.  Oh and the plugs for the heated seats 'should' be there..  It was cost effective to just make one loom for all, and only fit the optional bits when needed and turn them on in the cars brain if needed. My 2013 Zebec S previously, had the heated seat plugs, as i was going to change the seats to the heated leather ones from a Titanium X.

ATB.

Got a couple of snaps of the new seats in my car for you guys. Thanks Torchwood, I will need to have a look behind the fascia for the looms. Although it is advised to disconnect the battery before carrying out the installation in case an airbag goes off, I managed the whole process without a hitch with the battery still connected. 

I'm happy to answers any queries if anybody is considering making the same change as I have :smile:

DSCF4420.JPG

DSCF4422.JPG

DSCF4424.JPG

DSCF4425.JPG

DSCF4426.JPG

• Like 1

Looks really good - only thing that would bug me is the ST stitching in the seats when it's not an ST

• Like 1

Never seen the insides of a Red edition - is the black exactly the same (color on frames/grilles etc). 

I'm loving the seats look pretty damn nice

P.S That teddy is a nice touch ;)