Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus custom bass enclosure

Jon Bhoy

Hi folks,

The girlfriend bought me this for my birthday the other day...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk2-Custom-Fit-MDF-10-Sub-Box-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Bass-/360623710681?hash=item53f6d921d9:g:qcsAAOSwqrtWn-tz

Been wanting one for a while so was very pleased.Went to try to see how it fits in and got a bit of a shock!!! I believed it should just slide in so it was pretty flush with the wheel arch but seems to be catching in the middle somewhere so it pivots against the arch.I would have thought it would have slid straight in so pretty annoyed about it.I know Lenny the guru has one and wondered if anyone can tell me if anyone needed to do any custom bits to the carpet on the arch etc for it to fit or should it be fine just to slide in.I will take some pics in a little while and add them but thought id ask folk here who have bought them first before sending it back.It was £69 but looked identical to the £99 which most seem to be.If i do have to send it back anyone got recommendations of any place doing ones they did not have a problem with.

Cheers all,

Jon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Hi folks,

The girlfriend bought me this for my birthday the other day...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk2-Custom-Fit-MDF-10-Sub-Box-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Bass-/360623710681?hash=item53f6d921d9:g:qcsAAOSwqrtWn-tz

Been wanting one for a while so was very pleased.Went to try to see how it fits in and got a bit of a shock!!! I believed it should just slide in so it was pretty flush with the wheel arch but seems to be catching in the middle somewhere so it pivots against the arch.I would have thought it would have slid straight in so pretty annoyed about it.I know Lenny the guru has one and wondered if anyone can tell me if anyone needed to do any custom bits to the carpet on the arch etc for it to fit or should it be fine just to slide in.I will take some pics in a little while and add them but thought id ask folk here who have bought them first before sending it back.It was £69 but looked identical to the £99 which most seem to be.If i do have to send it back anyone got recommendations of any place doing ones they did not have a problem with.

Cheers all,

Jon.

Hi Jon, 

The enclosure is 20mm short of making contact with the upper back seat.

IMG_20141025_114651_zps0qj8j9x_edit_1414

IMG_20141025_114718_zpsodbcdxwa.jpg

I didn't use strapping or anything I created a 19mm cavity panel from MDF and covered it in the same carpet.

The beauty of the cavity panel is; all the cables are hidden inside the cavity between the seat and the panel, 

The amplifier is mounted to the panel with all amp cables being 0.5m length the panel is easily removable along with the sub enclosure theres no modification required to the body of the car no drilling holes nothing changed,

IMG_20150223_173404_zps4apkbny6.jpg

IMG_20150218_145827_zpsog3xdmzc.jpg

IMG_20150223_173016_zpsg4haspng_edit_142

The panel fits in between arch and back seat also holds the sub enclosure tightly in place. 

Here's the Guide: 

Also see my build thread from page 43 onwards to see how aluminium bushes can maximise air flow around the amplifier when mounted on a panel.

IMG_20150223_173100_zps1yqxzssb_edit_142

IMG_20150210_090433_zpsdyjzbda6_edit_142

Any questions feel free to post on the above threads and I'll get back to you thanks If it's related to the sub enclosure shir stick a post on the Guide linked above and I'll respond there too cheers👍

• Like 1

Hiya Lenny,

Thanks for the post mate.Sorry think i didnt put it the right way.I am not talking about the distance between the side of the box and the back of the seat.I am asking if the back of the box sat flush as it seems the deepest part of the back of the bass box is hitting part of the wheel arch so it wont sit flush by about 2 inches.

If you see the picture if i push the bit shown flush then the other end pops out,this is what i mean by the arch at the back not allowing it to sit flush against the wall of the arch.I tried to push it in as far as i could and drove off and first corner it fell over :-(

I have done a video i am just uploading to youtube which ill put a link to below as soon as its uploaded.

20160214_123658.jpg

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Just saw the video there mate it,

I know it's a bit tight pushing it in to place but it looks to be fitting just the same as mine, 

It doesn't go completely under the side panel, 

It will wabble around and fall over unless you fit the mono amp to the bottom of the enclosure like Hassan has done here 

IMAG1914_zps2lo70lk_edit_1413102052032_z

Or build yourself a panel, 

• Like 1

Cheers Lenny,but see yours looks a lot more flush fitting than mine against the side wall.Yep i know there's a bit of a gap between the edge of the box and the seat,dont have a problem its just it looks nowhere near as flush to the wheel arch wall as yours is! If you see the video i did you will see if i push the left hand side of the box (nearest to the boot lid) in so it is flush then the right hand side looking down there is a gap about an inch open looking down from above (wish i was clever enough to do poiters like you guys on the picture haha) but if thats the best fit i can do then i may as well just get a standard box which i do not really want.I just feel something is not right at all because looking at yours as i saw is miles more flush than mine is no matter what i try :-( . Even Hassans is nicely uniformed under the plastic cover at the top which mine isnt.

• Like 1

The sub enclosure you have; 
Looks identical to mine and Hassans 

Perhaps undo the two T25 Torx screws in the plastic panel; lift out carpet a bit and study the wheel arch to see if there's somthing dented or in the way.

Image0996-1.jpg

IMG_20130509_142241_zpsb974f629.jpg

When refitting panel pull out rubber to ensure it's sitting correctly again too.

Image0990.jpg

Sorry I've way too many archived images of the focus 😀
  • Like 1

Yeah thats the thing Lenny,it looks the same as most of the eBay ones too so they must all be from a similar template so couldnt understand why all yours seemed to slot in far better than mine! As always mate thank you for taking the time....and i owe you a load more picture arrows ;-) Stuff Haynes,we need a Lenny's Focus manual ;-)

• Like 1

Well Lenny you did it again,just needed someone to point out the obvious route to finding the problem.I undid the Torx screws and pulled back the carpet and then was hit by this lot........the guy that had the car before added parking sensors!!! No wonder i could not get it to fit flush!!!! Now this leads to a next question if you dont mind.Havent had time to check through what is what but the bits at the top of the pic is that to do with standard Focus stuff as i am wondering how much hassle it would be to move the wiring over to the other arch.Think ill have to have a word with the pro's to see what they think but may end up down the route of having to just get a bass box or a left hand bass box . If anyone wants to buy the box off me for what i bought it for id be happy to take that and if they can collect would be great (Kent).Then will justy look for a LH one (Only reason asking about selling and not returning is i opened the black packing cover and saw they add charges if unwrapped etc so dont want to be conned...so much for great bday gift!).

20160215_171352.jpg

• Like 1

Don't go selling the sub enclosure yet mate, 

they only make them to fit the rear passenger wheel arch as the arch on drivers side is more shallow.

None of that setup is on my focus but get yourself some 3M Velcro on eBay.

you can extend the cables if required and mount the control box on top of the inside panel just the same as I have done with the DVB TV tuner in my focus 

IMG_20150329_183034_zps9y05u7ox.jpg

IMG_20150329_121053_zpsqrgm4g1w.jpg

Just extend the spade connections to the reverse loom using four insulated crimp spade connectors and a bit of cable. Won't cost you more than 10 quid 

Lenny as you have always been for me mate a total star!I am getting a company to fit all my Speakers and stuff so will get them to relocate it.Just puzzled as to what the yellow clip bits are as they dont seem part of the rear sensors...if they are its overkill on the wiring!!!!!

Can you do me a favour matey,could you PM me your home addy if possible please mate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Lenny as you have always been for me mate a total star!I am getting a company to fit all my speakers and stuff so will get them to relocate it.Just puzzled as to what the yellow clip bits are as they dont seem part of the rear sensors...if they are its overkill on the wiring!!!!!

Can you do me a favour matey,could you PM me your home addy if possible please mate.

Happy to assist anytime mate, I'll see if i can enable PM feature, 

• 2 weeks later...

56d4a27ca5c98_ImageUploadedByFordOC14567

I fitted mine with a longer screw to secure it in the boot

Sent from my iPod touch using Ford OC

• Like 2

Many thanks Yvette , great install.I thought about that one screw and if that would be enough to hold it ? Think i might do a mix of putting the amp on the seat to hold it one end and the screw the other side.Then i might cut the floor panel so i can get the spare tyre out in an emergency without having to take the bass out.Also think i will be going the JL sub route (Think its the 300w RMS one i saw,cant remember the serial) . Do you get a good bit of Bass?

Many thanks again.

• Like 1

Yes it sounds great I had edge system before and got this for Xmas and so much better .

The one screw holds it firm and no movement in it at all

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/02/2016 at 9:10 PM, Loonytaz said:

Yes it sounds great I had edge system before and got this for Xmas and so much better .

The one screw holds it firm and no movement in it at all

Sorry to be a pain in the bum Yvette but the screw you used to hold that in place,was it the standard screw thats already in it or did you have to get a slightly extended one by say 10-20mm or so ? Just getting bits together ready to start but not actually near the car for a few days to check.Many thanks :-)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:

Sorry to be a pain in the bum Yvette but the screw you used to hold that in place,was it the standard screw thats already in it or did you have to get a slightly extended one by say 10-20mm or so ? Just getting bits together ready to start but not actually near the car for a few days to check.Many thanks :-)

The screws which hold the boot door plastic panel in place; are longer version of the one you want to replace on the side panel,

Perhaps pick up one at breakers 😕

{option}http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/lennymanwoods/discussions/IMG_20150625_220916_zpsdpxmgog7.jpg[/IMG]

{option}http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/lennymanwoods/discussions/IMG_20150625_195910_zpsq5napyoh.jpg[/IMG]

{option} 

[\IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/lennymanwoods/discussions/IMG_20150625_200412_zpsk461namm_edit_1435329302472_zpsa8wzpfmc.jpg[/IMG]

{option}http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss192/lennymanwoods/discussions/IMG_20150625_200412_zpsk461namm_edit_1435329302472_zpsa8wzpfmc.jpg[/IMG]

No sorry Lenny i was talking about the screw Yvette use to connect the top left "Tab" part of the stealth bass enclosure to the shelf area in the boot.There is a standard screw but wondered if adding the bass means i need to get a longer screw or if the hole is threaded the whole way.

56d4a4f5afb9d_ImageUploadedByFordOC1456776434.357516.thumb.jpg.26d277f30fbce7d281ad1cbcef8f7bc2.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:
3 hours ago, Jon Bhoy said:

No sorry Lenny i was talking about the screw Yvette use to connect the top left "Tab" part of the stealth bass enclosure to the shelf area in the boot.There is a standard screw but wondered if adding the bass means i need to get a longer screw or if the hole is threaded the whole way.

56d4a4f5afb9d_ImageUploadedByFordOC1456776434.357516.thumb.jpg.26d277f30fbce7d281ad1cbcef8f7bc2.jpg

I know mate,

I'm saying the boot panel screws are longer version of the existing side panel screw and same diameter if you preferred to use one of those 👍

• Like 1

Sorry Lenny,i am having one of the brain fog days.Thanks so much for putting me right on that again :-)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club