Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 Courtesy light issues

guy1962

I was wanting to put a brighter bulb in my basic courtesy light (see picture) so thought I'd double check what size bulb was already fitted.

As I removed the cover, the rocker switch came with it. The switch has a two pronged piece of copper in the back of it to make the contacts.

The main housing stayed in place and I was surprised to find a 501 push type bulb, not a festoon bulb.

Anyway, I then set about putting the cover/ rocker switch back and for the life of me I cannot get the light to work with the door/ central unlocking even though it worked fine before. It does work when switched on the constant setting.

It is becoming really frustrating as it is such a simple thing but I just can't get it to work no matter how many times I take it apart and fiddle with the switch.

Has anyone else got this type of light and had the same issues? Does any one know how I get the back housing out? If I could do that, I might be able to fix it properly.

WP_20160216_08_07_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160216_09_35_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20160216_09_36_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20160216_09_36_20_Pro.jpg

Put a bladed screwdriver or panel tool in where the arrow is on the picture and pop the side out.

The clips on the other side of the light will then unhook and you can pull the light unit out.

Before doing anything to the bulb I strongly recommend you disconnect the wiring connectors as the courtesy light fuse is very prone to popping.

I have had a switch pop out before, it just needs to sit properly in the switch slot so that the contacts make good continuity on both contact surfaces.

WP_20160216_08_07_26_Pro.jpg.5aebace640d

For a better light supply can I recommend one of these?-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-SUPER-BRIGHT-WHITE-LED-MAP-LIGHT-Dome-Festoon-Light-501-Capless-/222020944741?hash=item33b17ac365:g:6QAAAMXQWzNSnKWK

I've had a few items from that seller and he's as good as gold.

21 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Put a bladed screwdriver or panel tool in where the arrow is on the picture and pop the side out.

The clips on the other side of the light will then unhook and you can pull the light unit out.

Before doing anything to the bulb I strongly recommend you disconnect the wiring connectors as the courtesy light fuse is very prone to popping.

I have had a switch pop out before, it just needs to sit properly in the switch slot so that the contacts make good continuity on both contact surfaces.

WP_20160216_08_07_26_Pro.jpg.5aebace640d

For a better light supply can I recommend one of these?-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-SUPER-BRIGHT-WHITE-LED-MAP-LIGHT-Dome-Festoon-Light-501-Capless-/222020944741?hash=item33b17ac365:g:6QAAAMXQWzNSnKWK

I've had a few items from that seller and he's as good as gold.

Many thanks for your help with this Stoney. If the fuse has blown, is it still possible for the light to come on at the "always on" setting (mine does)? What I mean is, does the fuse only control the light when the door is opened / central locking activated, and is the "always on" powered by a seperate feed? If the fuse cuts all power to the light, then the fuse on mine must be okay.

I will definitely invest in one of those lamps (if I can get the thing working!!)

Cheers!

• Like 1

It's wired using a switched earth. This means it always has 12v+ & a permanent earth (this is switched using the switch)

The doors also control the other switch

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

All sorted now thanks. Just need to order that replacement lamp now.:smile:

• Like 2