Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated windscreen

ajzetecs

For some reason my heated windscreen is taken ages to defrost, had to turn of and use fan blowers instead, what could be the issue?

You can get an idea if it's working because it takes a very heavy current. I find the lights dim slightly and the wipers slow down. You should also hear a change in the engine idling note. If none of these happen it probably isn't working so it's time to check the fuses.

• Like 1

for as much as my limited knowledge is worth (I'm new to being a focus owner) I was only praising this feature a couple days ago - had a 03 & 53 plate corsa and ibiza respectively before this, so the heated windscreen is new to me. 

with it on, the ice is gone in a matter of mins. This morning was minus 2 - I sprayed some de-icer on mine and the mrs' car, and by the time i had gone back out, it was still frozen solid (crap de-icer?!) but got in and put the heater on. within 30 seconds, i used the wiper and most of it came away. 

So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but dont sound like its working properly to me??

• Like 1

the rear one on mine is crap but the front is great, frozen solid to clear in less than 3-4 min.  do the kettle test, boil a kettle then take it In to the car, itll steam up dead quick, the clear screen function should take care of that in a matter of moments

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mjt said:

You can get an idea if it's working because it takes a very heavy current. I find the lights dim slightly and the wipers slow down. You should also hear a change in the engine idling note. If none of these happen it probably isn't working so it's time to check the fuses.

when ya say will be clear in 3-4 mins was expecting to be coming of in about 30 seconds, would be quicker to use scraper

when I'm idling and turn on the heated windshield my fuel consumption goes up from 0.2 galons per hour to 0.3 or 0.4.

As soon as i turn it off it goes back to a 0.2 gal/h baseline...

I hit the max defrost button on a frosty morning and grab my scraper.

By the time I have done the side windows, the front and back are clear, saves me having to scrape them too :)

10 minutes ago, yossi said:

when I'm idling and turn on the heated windshield my fuel consumption goes up from 0.2 galons per hour to 0.3 or 0.4.

As soon as i turn it off it goes back to a 0.2 gal/h baseline...

This quite normal, heated screens draw a lot of power.

it wont clear in seconds simply because the heat would crack the window with blowers and heated screen on it takes a minute or two alternatively you can freeze outside scraping the windows heated screen uses 75amps which is the same as having the stereo lights rear window defrost on all at the same Time so it draws a lot of current which is why you only use it when you need it and not drive with it on

1 hour ago, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

This quite normal, heated screens draw a lot of power.

That was my point, that I can tell whether my heated windscreen is working or not by the amount of power it's drawing... :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club