Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To buy or not to buy? ZS > ST

dannyRJ13

So the time has come... Where I'm finally considering getting the model I wanted all along. The ST. I just wanted to run this by you lovely lot to see what you think...

I currently own a 13 plate black ZS - lovely little car. I love it. But it lacks something.

I paid 12k for it 2 years ago with 5k on the clock.

I've found a Molten Orange 63 plate ST-2. 30k on the clock, priced by main dealer at 12.5k.

They've offered me 8.5k trade-in on my ZS. And I would finance the difference in cost. (4K at the moment but I think they might move on 12.5k. Seems a little overpriced)

Ok so thoughts? Just go for it? Or stick with my cheap little ZS??

You could pick up a brand new ST3 in race red with style pack for £15,500 on DTD. Just so you're aware. Try get it for around 12k i'd say is a good price.

Do it

See my parts for sale on thread "philf1s Spirit Blue Fiesta ST180 parts for sale"

Look at Motorpoint. They do nearly new cars for a big discount! Very cheap with about 15,000 miles on as a max.

I agree you should go for it, unless you can find a better deal elsewhere. You can also get some good deals on a new ST from sites like Carwow, Drivethedeal etc.

If i had the money 100% ST,mine makes me smile and only a lonely little 1.6 so ST would be ''just laugh'' and play.

There seem to be a few out there now popping up and with good deals.

Make sure you test drive an ST and take it on some roads representative of those you'll frequently take it on.

As fun as it is, the ride is quite firm and not everyone can live with it. I would have got a Fiesta ST but couldn't live with the ride, so ended up getting the Focus instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Make sure you test drive an ST and take it on some roads representative of those you'll frequently take it on.

As fun as it is, the ride is quite firm and not everyone can live with it. I would have got a Fiesta ST but couldn't live with the ride, so ended up getting the Focus instead.

Agreed 100%.

I didn't and am finding my commute a chore rather than enjoyable - to the extent that I'm considering getting rid unless I can find a fix. Seriously considering looking at changing the suspension to maybe a zetec s set up, but have no idea what would be involved to soften it down. Mrs won't even come out in it ... which I acknowledge could be seen as a bonus ... ;).

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Danny1971 said:

Agreed 100%.

I didn't and am finding my commute a chore rather than enjoyable - to the extent that I'm considering getting rid unless I can find a fix. Seriously considering looking at changing the suspension to maybe a zetec s set up, but have no idea what would be involved to soften it down. Mrs won't even come out in it ... which I acknowledge could be seen as a bonus ... ;).

I've heard that the Mountune springs make the ride more comfortable, so it might be worth looking into that.

• Like 1

Test drive booked this Saturday PM so will be paying attention to the suspension... 

Will update... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alexp999 said:

This ^

Most roads it's fine, but down closed off addresses where road conditions are poor you can feel everything.

I'm fine with it, but my girlfriend hates it, to the point where she gives me a dirty look when we go over a pothole as she thinks i'm doing it on purpose..

• Like 2

Took the test drive today. Told the sales girl I wanted to try some bumpy roads as well as putting my foot down on the carriageway. The bumpy roads weren't a problem. The ride felt fine. The carriageway I noticed more when travelling at speed... However, I bought the car. For 12k. Including service, MOT, years tax, and extended warranty. Fairly chuffed with that.

Pick it up next Saturday. Can't wait!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I find, you notice the bumps when not expecting them. say travelling on a natonal speed limit at night and back, pothole out of nowhere n it shakes your backbone. But I suppose any car will do that, just abit more emphasized with something like an ST. (I'd imagine, don't actually own one but the Metal is similar I guess in terms of firmness)

I picked up the ST today... As the dealership was handing over the paper work I spotted a little Mountune envelope. So I asked what that was... Anyway, turns out the car has the 215 kit installed... Dealership were unaware 👍🏻

Bonus!!

• Like 6

^ Nice one, so they didn't spot the yellow badge on the back. How do you like it so far?

There was no badge... But I am after one!

I love it. And I mean really love it. What a car.

• Like 1

If you're like me when I got my ST, then you won't be able to stop smiling when you're in the car or anywhere near it haha. And there was a shortage of the Mountune badges when I got mine, so that could be why yours doesn't have one. But hopefully Mountune will send you one if you ask them.

Danny how are you finding the ride quality upto the Zetec S ? 

Yeah good shout I may email them and see if they'll send one.

Ride quality - I don't find it an issue at all. The Recaros keep you well positioned and supported. The suspension is noticeably harder than my ZS but definitely not to a point of being uncomfortable. Passenger had no complaints last night (the opposite actually he loved it!!) but we'll see what's said when the other half gets back from Australia! Lol.

^ Yeah some people prefer a car to have a hard ride even as a passenger, but then some will complain at the slightest bump. It's really our roads that are the problem.

Ride quality - I don't find it an issue at all. The Recaros keep you well positioned and supported. The suspension is noticeably harder than my ZS but definitely not to a point of being uncomfortable. Passenger had no complaints last night (the opposite actually he loved it!!) but we'll see what's said when the other half gets back from Australia! Lol.

[/quote

I did wonder about the suspension before I got my ST but like you said the recaros are really good

On 2/28/2016 at 10:18 AM, dannyRJ13 said:

I don't want to be cheeky but how many miles did your Zetec S have on it when they offered you 8k?

I got my standard Zetec (64) for £9200 with 6,000 miles on and immaculate condition all services done etc. Didn't realise you could pick ST's up for near enough 12K!

(How much would the mountune kit added to the cost if they had noticed that it had it?)

Well now that the cats out of the bag about the new 200 ST would you hang on a bit or try and wrestle their price down with the new model soon to be released?

ST is usually 6-12 months behind a new model. The new model is probably 6-12 months away itself.

As far as I can tell with the ST200 you are better off getting a standard St and have it mountune. Faster and cheaper, no brainer imo.

Also from past experience I wouldn't touch a brand new from the ground up model when it is first released. Better to wait for the problems to be ironed out. With the current fiesta the ST didn't even come out until the facelift anyway.