Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1L or 1.6L Ecoboost?

Arwen

new Focus 1.0 EcoBoost suffering intermittent power loss (turbo not working) and going into "limp home" mode. A warning light appears with a sign indicating "engine needing service." If car stopped and left for about an hour it returns to normal operation.

1.0-litre EcoBoost engine doesn't do well in RealMPG

judder from drivetrain of 2014 Focus 1.6 Powershift automatic when running slowly, diagnosed as problem with clutch pack, to be repaired under warranty.

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that there is a difference in engine torque power and 0-60 time, in the 1.0 EcoBoost 125 between a 2011 (mk3) and 2015 (mk3.5/facelift) focus?

Apparently the 2015 face-lifted focus is slower than its predecessor. Is this true?

Liam.

I've decided on a 1.6 ecoboost. The 1l is nice, and I can see why some folk prefer/enjoy it. But when I am in the car I like mostly like relaxing driving. The 1l feels like you are always "encouraging" it to go, where as the 1.6 has a more "gliding" feel to it. Nothing wrong with either style, but the 1.6 suits me better.

Picking up the car on the 25th. It's a titanium spec model, with a few extras and is that weird shade of yellow/green. 

• Like 1

Torque is the same, 170Nm, with 200Nm on overboost.

Pre-facelift Mk3 Hatchback 0-62 is 11.3, 31-62 is 10.8.

Post-facelift Mk3.5 Hatchback 0-62 is 11.0, 31-62 is 11.8.

Estate versions are basically 0.2 seconds slower for each, so Post-facelift 1.0 is quicker 0-60, but slower in gear for some reason...

@Arwen Good to hear you have come to decision, the important thing was just to test both and go for the one suited you. I'll never buy a car again I can't test drive now, lol.

• Like 3

Yea I'd never buy a car that I wasn't able to test drive. Makes me wary and think there is something wrong with it. 
Although, I do occasionally test drive cars just to see the differences between brands. Test drove a Golf GTE late last year, manager knew I wasn't in a position to buy it but said we could still take it out for a spin. Really I think he just wanted time out the showroom! Was very different to any other car I have driven, probably because it is the first electric car I've driven. It does feel stupidly quick when you want it to be. But the lack of a gear stick, and the instant torque made me feel really detached from the drive. Even more so when we turned on the radar sensors things and the car stays a set distance from the car in front, all you need to do is steer. Very weird.  
All in, it made me realise I don't want an automatic. Test drove an auto estate fabia VRS and it reiterated this for me. 

Not sure what I'll do with my Sundays now that I've settled on a new car. Seem like I've been looking for months! 

56 minutes ago, Arwen said:

I've decided on a 1.6 ecoboost. The 1l is nice, and I can see why some folk prefer/enjoy it. But when I am in the car I like mostly like relaxing driving. The 1l feels like you are always "encouraging" it to go, where as the 1.6 has a more "gliding" feel to it. Nothing wrong with either style, but the 1.6 suits me better.

Picking up the car on the 25th. It's a titanium spec model, with a few extras and is that weird shade of yellow/green. 

That's great news Arwen! I'm sure you've made the right decision. That weird shade of yellow/green isn't that bad. I've seen quite a few of that colour out and about.

Are we going to see a pic when you get it?

Liam.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Torque is the same, 170Nm, with 200Nm on overboost.

Pre-facelift Mk3 Hatchback 0-62 is 11.3, 31-62 is 10.8.

Post-facelift Mk3.5 Hatchback 0-62 is 11.0, 31-62 is 11.8.

Estate versions are basically 0.2 seconds slower for each, so Post-facelift 1.0 is quicker 0-60, but slower in gear for some reason...

@Arwen

Really. Where do you get you figures from? I got mine from the dealers website.

Liam.

@Liam40 I'll upload a picture once I get it. It's first drive will be down to Newcastle though, so might not be pretty! I don't dislike the colour, it is simply rather odd. At least it will be more difficult to lose in the car park than my clio.
If all goes to plan, I'll be keeping this car until it is uneconomical to keep running. So once the finance is paid off, I may look into getting it resprayed tangerine scream, as I simply love that colour. Plus, both are classed as yellow on the V5, so no need to go through that change :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

From the Ford brochures.

Oh right. Got my figures from when searching for focus's on auto trader on the dealers website. 

Makes more sense to use fords own brochures. May have a look.

Liam.

2 hours ago, Arwen said:

@Liam40 I'll upload a picture once I get it. It's first drive will be down to Newcastle though, so might not be pretty! I don't dislike the colour, it is simply rather odd. At least it will be more difficult to lose in the car park than my clio.
If all goes to plan, I'll be keeping this car until it is uneconomical to keep running. So once the finance is paid off, I may look into getting it resprayed tangerine scream, as I simply love that colour. Plus, both are classed as yellow on the V5, so no need to go through that change :D 

Good good! A nice long trip to get used to a new car. You'll have to keep us posted with what the cars like, ie: performance, driving and economy 😉

Tangerine Scream colour??? 

Liam.

That's the plan. I don't have a very long commute any more so a nice long drive when I first get it should alert me to any issues I hope. 

Tangerine scream is an ST only colour sadly (as far as I am aware) I really like it though. All depends how I feel about the car in a few years time, and how much it would cost to get it changed. But I can dream :-)  :-

ford-focus-st-09-front-m.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arwen said:

That's the plan. I don't have a very long commute any more so a nice long drive when I first get it should alert me to any issues I hope. 

Tangerine scream is an ST only colour sadly (as far as I am aware) I really like it though. All depends how I feel about the car in a few years time, and how much it would cost to get it changed. But I can dream :-)  :-

ford-focus-st-09-front-m.jpg

I see what you mean now! Very nice looking car.

You know what they say, dreams can come true!!! :biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm seriously considering getting the 1.6 ecoboost. I'm becoming less and less impressed with the low down power in my tivct. I like the car a lot, like best car I've ever owned by far, but I just wish it was more torquey. I'm trying to find more reasons to change to the ecoboost so keep the opinions coming please lol Watching this thread with great interest.

Sent from the pub with a pint in the other hand.

1L or 1.6L Ecoboost, either would make a great upgrade from the TiVCT imo.

I drove me and my parents the 2 hour journey back from Gatwick last week in my mum's car.

Amazing little 3 cylinder, had no problems pulling an Estate with 3 people and a bootful of luggage. Got it up to the redline a few times off the dual carriageway roundabouts :D

• Like 2

1L or 1.6L Ecoboost, either would make a great upgrade from the TiVCT imo.

I drove me and my parents the 2 hour journey back from Gatwick last week in my mum's car.

Amazing little 3 cylinder, had no problems pulling an Estate with 3 people and a bootful of luggage. Got it up to the redline a few times off the dual carriageway roundabouts :D

You see that's my dilemma, 1L or 1.6L. I spose I need to try out them both first but, as I say, just thinking at the minute. I like the thought of having 150 (ish) bhp and the fact that, if I ever decide to, there are things like superchips that can free up some of the power of needs be. Can't help but think putting more Strain on the 1L would harm it in the long run.

Definitely worth trying both.

The 1.6 (and 1.5 on newer models), is without doubt faster, but it depends what you are looking for from the car.

The 1.0 is great fun and returns better MPG, the 1.6/1.5 has better performance.

However, having driven the 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0, the 1.5 doesn't feel 2 seconds faster than the 1.0, where the 2.0 definitely feels 2 seconds faster than the 1.5.

I haven't driven the 1.6 though, and in 180PS guise it is faster than the 1.5 which replaced it. (and the 1.6 also doesn't rattle, lol).

• Like 1

Definitely worth trying both.

The 1.6 (and 1.5 on newer models), is without doubt faster, but it depends what you are looking for from the car.

The 1.0 is great fun and returns better MPG, the 1.6/1.5 has better performance.

However, having driven the 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0, the 1.5 doesn't feel 2 seconds faster than the 1.0, where the 2.0 definitely feels 2 seconds faster than the 1.5.

I haven't driven the 1.6 though, and in 180PS guise it is faster than the 1.5 which replaced it. (and the 1.6 also doesn't rattle, lol).

Well I'm not too bothered on mpg to be honest. I do like to put the foot down quite a bit, responsibly of course, so that's why I'm thinking the 1.6. They're so rare though. I'd definitely be going for the TitX version as I'm used to the Tit spec and any change of car, I'd be going for the next step up. I've got my eye on a black TitX 150 at the minute, considering putting my own up for sale and going for it with the money from mine lol Have to check with the soon-to-be wife first !

You could also consider the 1.6vvti 125ps , well proven sigma engine, not much to go wrong, been fitted in Focus' for years.

The 1.6 N/A even at 125PS can be a bit gutless in the MK3 though.

So much more enjoyable having the mid range shove of a turbo imo.

And @kpg I thought the TitX always got the 180PS version, like the Zetec S does? Or is it an early model?

• Like 1

Ive driven all variants and still like my focus 1.0 140.

• Like 2

You could also consider the 1.6vvti 125ps , well proven sigma engine, not much to go wrong, been fitted in Focus' for years.

That's the engine I have at the minute. It's fine but doesn't have any go low in the revs. Have to rag the she-height out of the gears to get going.

The 1.6 N/A even at 125PS can be a bit gutless in the MK3 though.

So much more enjoyable having the mid range shove of a turbo imo.

And @kpg I thought the TitX always got the 180PS version, like the Zetec S does? Or is it an early model?

The model in looking at is the same year as mine, 2011, with less miles. Most of the zetec S models got the 180 with the 1.6. But as I said, I couldn't do without Titanium spec at minimum lol I'd be happy enough with the 150 to be fair, if I ever thought i needed more, then something like superchips would be on the cards.

1 hour ago, kpg said:

Well I'm not too bothered on mpg to be honest. I do like to put the foot down quite a bit, responsibly of course, so that's why I'm thinking the 1.6. They're so rare though. I'd definitely be going for the TitX version as I'm used to the Tit spec and any change of car, I'd be going for the next step up. I've got my eye on a black TitX 150 at the minute, considering putting my own up for sale and going for it with the money from mine lol Have to check with the soon-to-be wife first !

Yes 1.6 EcoBoost's are rare, I've only seen 1 in the last couple of months! I've seen more versions of the 1.5 EcoBoost.

Because they are rare, and at the moment you've got your eye on a black titX 150bhp one, only makes sense to look into seriously into getting it. You never know when your going to see another 1.6 EcoBoost :wink3:

Liam.

• Like 1

Yes 1.6 EcoBoost's are rare, I've only seen 1 in the last couple of months! I've seen more versions of the 1.5 EcoBoost.

Because they are rare, and at the moment you've got your eye on a black titX 150bhp one, only makes sense to look into seriously into getting it. You never know when your going to see another 1.6 EcoBoost :wink3:

Liam.

Don't even tempt me lol I'll get in trouble with the misses. Getting married in 3.5 weeks ! I'm sure she wouldn't like to see me spend money on a car rather than the wedding !

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club